Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Reverse Muscle Up aka. the Elevator

Oliver Bjerregaard

Oliver Bjerregaard

Hello good  people.

I'm currently training for the reverse muscle up. 
Many of you (most of you) probably know Ido Portal. He has a video on his youtube Channel of John Sapinoso doing a reverse muscle up. Link: 

Gymnastic Bodies has an athlete performing the reverse muscle up as well. Link: 

There is a quite big difference in the curl phase. Coach Sommer writes in the comment of his video, that his athlete is doing the hard variation compared to John Sapinoso's reverse muscle up. 

I don't quite understand how Coach Sommers athletes' version of the reverse muscle up is harder? 

Can anyone give me some examples, tips or explain the difference? 

Thanks a lot.

Oliver Marcell

• Upvote 1

Looks like jsap is curling out to the side with an arch, while Dillon is going closer to straight up and down with a slightly exaggerated hollow. I'm still doing negatives of this, and it's definitely harder to curl back up from 90 degrees if I keep my hands in front of me rather than letting them flare out.

Alex is putting his hours into rev mu at the moment and will probably drop by to give a lot more detail on which is harder and why :)

Just as a guideline, incidentally, Coach generally requires a straddle planche on rings before seriously training rev mu. No idea what your level is, but in terms of elbow/bicep conditioning that's the ballpark.

Coach Sommer

As all three of them are long time students of mine (Dillon from 2006 to 2011, Johnny from 2008 to 2012, Ido from 2005 to 2011) and I am pleased with all of their progress, perhaps this discussion would be better served by examining what all three of them have in common training wise and why all three of them are stronger than most of the other members of this forum.  (hint: the answer to that question is writing this post  ;)).

In the long run, Dillon by far became the strongest of the three on straight arm ring strength skills (maltese, inverted cross, iron cross pulls etc) as that was his primary focus as one of my competitive athletes and I was able to spend the most time personal time with him; the reverse muscle ups were merely supplemental in his training.  Dillon's reverse muscle was indeed not quite ready for filming and not nearly as nice as Johnny's which was posted later.

As you are seeking knowledge, for educational purposes Johnny in particular has a wealth of posts here on GB in both the general forum and his training log that you may find helpful.  With a little searching, you can also find many good posts by Ido and Dillon here as well.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Daniel Burnham

I am curious coach. Do you know if this exercised is used as conditioning by any other coaches. I have not seen anyone successfully complete this besides your students. Of course I haven't seen many of your exercises in the gyms I have visited so I'm not terribly surprised. Just wondering because it seems like excellent conditioning for elbows and shoulders.

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

I curious coach. Do you know if this exercised is used as conditioning by any other coaches. I have not seen anyone successfully complete this besides your students. Of course I haven't seen many of your exercises in the gyms I have visited so I'm not terribly surprised. Just wondering because it seems like excellent conditioning for elbows and shoulders.

picturing staring at the 5x5 mastery template plus the integrated mobility gives me goosebumps :P

picturing staring at the 5x5 mastery template plus the integrated mobility gives me goosebumps :P

That casual 10 rep finisher is still so much harder than my whole workout it's embarassing.

Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino

That casual 10 rep finisher is still so much harder than my whole workout it's embarassing.

haha   

probably 10rep could be an Im from another good move... :P

Keilani Gutierrez

10 rep? man, you cray! i bet your biceps/trapz must be screaming bloody murder by the end of the set

10 rep? man, you cray! i bet your biceps/trapz must be screaming bloody murder by the end of the set

Hope to find out sometime! XD

Keilani Gutierrez

Hope to find out sometime! XD

misunderstood, thought you were already doing it :P #finalboss

misunderstood, thought you were already doing it :P #finalboss

LOL!

Nope, Foundation is plenty for me atm! I'm limited to negatives on rev mu, that curl is a killer and out of my reach... for now :)

Keilani Gutierrez

LOL!

Nope, Foundation is plenty for me atm! I'm limited to negatives on rev mu, that curl is a killer and out of my reach... for now :)

.... B-)

Alessandro Mainente

i got the major progress working with the template of F series . Nothing special use a fixed straps length for inverted biceps curl then after solid achievement and NO soreness on forearms and biceps, increase the distance from the floor of 2-3 cm nothing more. then repeat. do not be afraid for the slow progress, they will come with the time.

• Upvote 1

FREDERIC DUPONT

(...) by the end of the set

LOL - always the optimist KellianiG...  #IWillFinishThat

(...) do not be afraid for the slow progress, they will come with the time.

Please include in the FAQ :)

Keilani Gutierrez

LOL - always the optimist KellianiG...  #IWillFinishThat

Please include in the FAQ :)

okay, considering how wicked easy most of these guys make adv ring work look is why probably a lot of people go "want muscle up now" 

looking at them bust out ONE rep makes you think in the back of your head "okay....he's got to have at least 9 of those in the bank right now"

when I read coaches athletes(can't remember at what level exactly) could bust out 16-30 something reps of Straddle press handstands I was like "WHAT, i can't even do that many pushups in a row  :mellow: " hahahahaha

• 1 year later...
Matthew Jefferys

So how does the inverted muscle-up compare to the one arm pull-up with regards to the elbow flexors? In other words, which should I master first?  ^_^

Connor Davies

So how does the inverted muscle-up compare to the one arm pull-up with regards to the elbow flexors? In other words, which should I master first? ^_^

Coach once said he trailed his athletes with one arm pullups one day and reverse muscle ups the other day. By far his athletes preferred the one arm pullup day, because it was so much easier!

He also said something about how one arm pullups carryover very little to GST, so there's always that to consider.

I think by the time you can bang out a reverse muscle up, you should have some consecutive one arm chins no problem.

• Upvote 4