Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Accumulation/Intensification cycles

Fluidity

I just want to clarify things when it comes to cycling between accumulation and intensification when training for maximal strength. When switching between accumulation and intensification is there ever a deload week? Or do you just go straight into intensification?

As for an accumulation itself how should volume be taken of? Are sets and reps kept constant? Or do you keep adding sets. As for intensification  are sets and reps kept constant and increase weight every week or do you keep change the number of sets and add more and more weight after every workout? I just need some clarification for these two phases after looking at these two articles from poliquin. 

http://www.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/945/How_to_Plan_Your_Workouts.aspx

http://www.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/873/A_Brief_History_of_Periodization.aspx

Poliquin gives some good cycles for relative strength at the bottom of both articles yet he doesn't mention whether volume is kept constant for accumulation phases or if you add weight to the 5x5. Along with that I don't know if sets are worked up to during both phases or if you start straight off with them. Can someone clarify these points for me

There's a lot of options when it comes to these things. You can deload but I prefer to bridge into each to allow a more gradual change but still keep the stimulus new.

The point of accumalation is to add volume so I do whatever I can to continue to add volume. Adding time to the negative, more reps, pauses, drop sets.

Intensification is where I begin to convert those negatives into pauses or move toward a more intense stimulus.

As to what you want to do (add sets or weight) what is your goal and what phase are you in? That's the question answered by the phase.

• 9 months later...
Douglas Wadle

I know this is old, but it's a good topic that never really took off with much discussion.  Typically you'd want an active rest week every 3 months with the usual undulating periodization.  otherwise, the 1st week of the accumulation phase usually acts similar to a deload week.  Obviously, with the foundations course, the programming is built in.  I've been experimenting, though, with a few ideas.  One, to try heavy, light, medium workouts through the week.  I like this.  Heavy is the exercise you're struggling to get enough reps of.  light is the exercise you did a couple PE's prior, or an exercise you can fairly easily do, and medium is an exercise you just mastered, so still moderately challenging, but not too bad.  Another programming option would be to follow your typical undulating program and build reps of an easier exercise, say pseudo planche pushups, then during the intensification phase, build reps with a harder exercise, like tuck planche pushups. I'd be curious to hear other discussion of people's programming thoughts.

José Ignacio Varela Suárez

In gymnastics accumulation and intensification depend on the leverage you apply for a certain element. So accumulation phase should use a leverage that allow you to work more time under tension (High volume) and intensification should use a leverage that allow you to work with more intensity and less time under tension. It is complex because, this is not lifting, so you have to take into account the proper technique and being sure that the intensification is not very hard in order not to get injured.
The first time I read about accumulation and intensification I thought that i was something revolutionary. Actually, it is something that has been done since old times in a similar way. In general, in sports with a short competitive calendar, the accumulation usually correspond with the preparatory phase and the intensification with the competitive phase. This is made during a year, but what Poliquin has done with that is to apply it to the mesocycle.