Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Muscle injury, brachialis?

Samvel Azizbekyan

Samvel Azizbekyan

Hey there everyone, I have a couple of things that I need help with and id greatly appreciate the assistance. I've had a muscle injury about 2 months ago, and i feel like im really falling behind on my training and want to get back into it as soon as possible. I think what caused the injury was doing a slow muscle-up with my 45lb vest. I cannot tell which muscle it is that I injured, it feels like its between the bicep and tricep. I think it might be the brachialis muscle. There is no bruising around the area, and as far as pain, there really isnt any...i mean there is enough so i can feel that its not normal but it doesnt really hurt..It feels like it is right in between the elbow and shoulder.

What would you guys suggest that I should do? I really take my training seriously, and thats all i really do. I havn't been able to work on anything but legs, abs and lower back. If theres anything that you could tell me that would help a whole lot. I've tried to get tips and help from other people...but no one really has anything other than the basic things to tell me;rest, ice, compression, anti-inflammatories. I do all of that...but is there really anything else that would speed up the healing process? Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys.

FREDERIC DUPONT

If there is no acute inflammation, you are probably better off to drop the anti inflammatory.

Else, rest and rehab - you are hurt; take this even more seriously than your training.

Samvel Azizbekyan

Thank you guys, I appreciate the tips. And how long should I let it rest? When do I know its safe to work out? Because some days my arm really feels normal when i know it is not. So how could I know that I could get back into it? 

I had exactly this once. I took a month or so off to rest, eased back into higher volume training, and it hasn't bothered me since. Try massaging the area, if it is tender, it probably needs more rest. Also, try standing with completely straight, locked out arms, elbow pits forwards. Tense the arms hard while extending the elbow - the good and injured elbow should feel the same. Tinging and slight pain means more rest. Continue to do this test, when you take up training again. And don't go straight back to muscleups. Begin by doing simpler exercises, in fact, buy F1 and take it from there.

Christoph Pahl

Good rule of thumb I read here: Wait until it's OK. Then multiply the time since the injury by 2 and you have your rest time. In particle physics we're using similar rules sometimes when we don't understand too much the details.

Getting yourself to a decent sports physio is always a good idea, especially if its been going on for two months. Even a non sports physio is better than nothing, and should be able to tell you which muscle is causing the problem so you can go away and research yourself for a solution

Otherwise, rest for longer than you feel you need to (to definitely make sure its rested and not just pretending to feel better), then very slowly build it back up with far easier exercises than you usually do, but at a slightly higher volume. Pushups on your knees and pull up rows if thats what it takes. If the discomfort starts again, abandon those exercises and make even it easier next session