Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archer dips and Archer pullups

John Quigley

I'm chasing 1-arm pullups and the Iron Cross, and want a challenging dip-type movement.  I'm able to add considerable weight to pullups (70 lbs for low reps) and Bulgarian Dips (100 lbs for low reps).  Are Archer Pullups and Archer Dips good alternatives to avoid having to strap on lots of weight?

I like the archer pull up (especially on rings) as an intermediary progression to the one arm chin up. Alone, it will not get you to a one arm chin up, but it is a valuable movement. If you want to avoid strapping on a lot of weight, there are other progressions that can also be used. Rope assisted one arm pull ups, rope climbs, front lever rows, etc.

I've never used the archer dip. I like the RTO dip though, and would recommend it once regular ring dips are mastered. I'm not so sure that performing bulgarian dips with so much extra weight is necessary or beneficial (depending on your goals). There are also many other movements that can be trained: planche push ups, handstand push ups, one arm push ups, various locomotion patterns, etc. 

Definitely. Archer pull-ups are as hard as you make them. Only you know how hard you're making them. I would recommend becoming pretty good at archer/uneven pull-ups first, and then move onto finger assisted reps or something else that is harder.