Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thumbs-out XR dips

Kenneth Manning

Kenneth Manning

Just a quick question regarding the proper form of ring dips.

When dipping in a "normal" fashion on the rings, I can bang out the reps pretty easily. But upon reading the BtGB description of ring dips performed properly, it seems to state that the hands should be turned out at a 45 degree angle throughout the full range of motion. The only reason I'm asking is that in the picture series depicting the proper execution of a ring dip, the athlete begins with the rings turned out at a 45 degree angle, but in the bottom position, the rings appear to be parallel to the athletes torso. Just trying to get some clarity here. Today I struggled through 5 sets of 5 reps attempting to maintain that 45 degree turned-out hand position. When performing them with the rings parallel to my body in the bottom position (and turned out at the top), I can manage around 20 consecutive ring dips.

As always, any help would be appreciated!

RTO Dips (Rings Turned Out)

I've always considered RTO Dips and Dips separate exercises, as I do pullups and kipping pullups. In an RTO Dip, you need to extend your torso forward more which recruits much more of the pectorals and shoulders than the normal dip does. It also slightly involves the biceps to close the shoulder angle and keep the rings turned out throughout the entire dip.

I think the reason they are turned out in the top is because thats the support position you wanna be in, then you turn them in during the dip and turn them out in support again, for a normal ring dip that is.

Kenneth Manning

After reading the responses and viewing some videos, I'm under the impression that for a regular "ring dip," one is to begin with the rings turned out, and then in the dipping motion, the rings can be turned in slightly (without allowing one's arms to be supported by the straps), and on the concentric portion of the movement, the rings are turned out again at the top support position.

I think trying to maintain that rings-turned-out hand position throughout the entire movement kind of turns the dip into a ring-korean-dip. I'm not strong enough yet to do korean dips on a bar, let alone rings. So, I think what I'm going to do is continue with sets of 5 reps with my bodyweight, but between each rep, I'm going to perform a static hold of 5 seconds or so at the top of each rep with my hands turned out and arms locked straight.

Thanks for the responses, it's appreciated.

• 2 months later...
midshipmancapt

I had that same question... thank you for asking and answering.

Also, Bulgarian dips are quite a bit harder. What muscles doe Bulgarian dips work more so than normal dips or even RTO dips?

Joshua Naterman

It's more like all of them than any particular muscles. With bulgarian dips you are bringing your hands farther away from your body, which makes your entire anterior chain work harder, since those are the primary muscles working. The anterior chain is the stuff in front. They are harder on your shoulders than anything else, but the bulgarians are harder in every way than the regular dips.

Holding them out at 45 degrees or more THE WHOLE TIME takes a lot of strength and stability. Ultimately, this is what you want to be working up to.

RTO provides more stability in moves such as handstand, cross, maltese, planche, etc. because you can control the rings better. For example, if your rings are turned in for handstand, your arms on the straps and its easy to fall over. Some of the Chinese do parallel rings for planche/handstand/support so I suppose it's preference, but most of the elites do RTO the whole time.

Joshua Naterman
Holding them out at 45 degrees or more THE WHOLE TIME takes a lot of strength and stability. Ultimately, this is what you want to be working up to.

RTO provides more stability in moves such as handstand, cross, maltese, planche, etc. because you can control the rings better. For example, if your rings are turned in for handstand, your arms on the straps and its easy to fall over. Some of the Chinese do parallel rings for planche/handstand/support so I suppose it's preference, but most of the elites do RTO the whole time.

Good call, thanks! I tried this at my last workout and you are right, staying wide the whole time is harder. I really like how it feels!