Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

forearm stand

jumper844

Welcome
I'm just beginning my adventure with hs.
It can withstand 4s for free hs and I question whether forearm stand and hs tuck affect my hs?

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Are you talking about the forearm headstand or forearm stand?(the latter is that yoga position, without your head on the floor and supported only by the forearms)

• 2 weeks later...

Doing a "Forearm supported" headstand similar to yoga's "Supported Headstand/" will, in the long run, help with your handstand.

Getting into a supported headstand, without using a wall, makes you tighten your abdominal muscles to the inverted posture. I will suggest working on holding the "hollow body position" while you are doing the inversion.

Transitioning into handstand requires shoulder strength.

• Like 1

David McManamon

You want every transition to be slow and controlled to effectively build strength while not risking injury.  A 4s handstand is very brief so you will have to train easier elements to build up to a controlled 15 or 30 second handstand.

According to the "York handbalancing course" which is a really old book I found on the internet for free, the progressions go from bent arm frogstand to headstand to forearm stand (only on your forearms) to handstand.

• 3 weeks later...

I just started headstands with palms on ground not forearm but it's helped my handstand without doing handstands. Mind you I can only do a handstand for like 3 seconds but I can already feel my body is more stable and solid. Also since headstands are much easier you can work on fixing your body line and learn how to balance your body.

Any tips on bailing from a headstand though? I always try and roll to the side but I end up smashing my shoulder. Scared I may break it one day. Also scared of trying a forward roll because I might snap my neck.

Connor Davies

Trust the forward roll.  I've had to do it a few times now and it just kinda happens.  Don't worry, you wont tweak your neck.