Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

doppelganger

I do 5-7s for most everything. Has worked well for me.

For OAC when you can do ~5 or so 7s negatives you can probably do it. That's my experience as well as Jack Arnows I believe.

Richard Duelley

I have been unable to HeSPU for months but after finishing a steady state cycle with HeSPU negatives I could (almost magically) push out 3 or more reps. Now HeSPU are in my steady state program and I hope to increase the ROM after this cycle is over. I am going to try OAC negatives next.

I personally do negatives as slow and controlled as possible, ie go as slow as you can without stopping or pausing.

I don't know how applicable different protocols are to different muscle groups, and variations, but I read in a climbing book about a way to build pulling strength if you are lacking. It revolves around negatives with a static hold at the top.

1 rep = 5 second hold at the top of a pullup, and then lower for 5 seconds.

1 set = 5 reps

number of sets = 3-5 sets

Rest - 3-5 minutes between sets

Frequency - 3 days per week

They recommend this for people who cannot do more than 5 pullups. So, I don't know if the goal is to work up to the 5x5 and then you can assume you have 5 reps, or better. I've never tried this, but when I started building up my pullups I realized the top position usually needed the most emphasis. Then there are people who can keep there chin over the bar for 6+ second in a one arm chin, but can't get themselves out of the bottom. I'm not even remotely close to working on OAC's, I'm just throwing this tidbit out there, since most people can't do 5 OAC's.

Longer negatives can work, I think. It shouldn't create more soreness than normal to be honest as long as you're spending the same relative time under tension.

Shrug. I'm just telling ya what I use. :)

JL: sounds pretty decent. I prefer higher frequency but that does seem like it would work ok.