Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

'fitness transformation' photos

Colin Macdonald

Joshua Naterman

I've make my own transformation motivation video and I'm posting it here because I'm just proud of it:) You can discover F1H1 exercises there. It is in my language, so this is about losing 7kg in 10 day (3kg fat).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTZ6RodBzVM

You did not lose 3kg of fat in 10 days. You primarily lost water and some muscle, and it's obvious. Sorry to burst your bubble, but it is true. I know exactly what I am looking at.

Ádám Ficsór

You did not lose 3kg of fat in 10 days. You primarily lost water and some muscle, and it's obvious. Sorry to burst your bubble, but it is true. I know exactly what I am looking at.

I literally did not eat any carbohydrate (except some veggies) and fat. I think it is possible this way, but maybe you're right and know better, I've tried to make the measure (calipper) as accurate as I can.

Ádám Ficsór

I literally did not eat any carbohydrate (except some veggies) and fat. I think it is possible this way, but maybe you're right and know better, I've tried to make the measure (calipper) as accurate as I can.

I did not wanted to talk in the air so I've just done the math.
I was 85kg so I had a maintainance calorie about 85*31=2635 cal.
I was eating about 85*1.5=127g lean protein (such as chicken breast, tuna, some powder) that's about 127*4=510 cal.
I was also eating some nullcalorie vegie, we could count them somewhat.
Around training I've also eat some protein, lets say its about that much calorie I burned so we shouldnt deal with it.
It turns out I was a 2000 calorie deficit for 10 days. (There is a slowing metabolic rate there, but i just neglect it here because I didnt really can count with it. In the end of the day it maybe does matter and worth to mention.)
We can continue this in 2 way.
First: 2000*10day = 20000 calorie = 20000/3500= 5,7kg. Approx 2/3 of that fat. (It wont be) Thats 3.8kg.
This calculation is from Lyle McDonald Rapid Fat Loss Handbook, and if somebody he knows what he's talking about.
The other way. (It is I think in this situation could be a bit more accurate, it's my reasoning.)
Let's suppose in the first 4 days I didnt lose any fat, but water and carbohydrate. Lets say I burned 1/2 of that from fat. (This 4 number comes from Lyle Ketogenic Diet book and my experience with my body based on my weight. It don't really go down after 2-3 days. (So there is not too much water and CH lost after that.))
After that I didnt have any carbohydrate to lose so I just lose fat. (I trained and eat enough protein not to lose too much muscle). (If it were that simle.) Lets say I burned 2/3of that from fat.
Then it is a 2000*4*(1/2) + 2000*6*(2/3) = 12000 calorie deficit from fat. 
12000/3500=3.4kg fat loss.

So we got a 3.8kg and a 3.4kg numbers for true fat loss. But the true number will be lower because of various inefficiences and slowdown of metabolic rate I mentioned before.
I've tried to make my calculations as strict as possible. Now you can admit it is not impossible to lose 3kg of fat in 10 days in my situation.

FREDERIC DUPONT

Well done Adam, good effort here :)

You probably had your reasons to do what you did, but you surely know that it is usually better to lose fat at a slower pace over a longer time in order to maximize the preservation of lean mass.

Nice video; is that your little girl on playing the rings with you? :)

Ádám Ficsór

Well done Adam, good effort here :)

You probably had your reasons to do what you did, but you surely know that it is usually better to lose fat at a slower pace over a longer time in order to maximize the preservation of lean mass.

Nice video; is that your little girl on playing the rings with you? :)

Video was only motivational purpose, I'm not sure if I could do this without recording, like people writing training blogs. My reason that I wanted to know how much I can pull out from science and how strong my will is. And yeah, of course It's not even close to healthy.

I dont know that girl, just come there and said she wants to play with that ring. Parents were really happy;)

I can't comment on the health and physiological aspects, but I loved the video.  The dog curls were my favorite part.  Keep up the good work.

Joshua Naterman

Guys, you are all forgetting something.

When you eat zero carbs, you shed 5-10 lbs of water. This is both intramuscular AND subcutaneous. Don't believe me? Ask a bodybuilder. They know. It's why they eat zero carbs for a few days before a show... it makes a DRAMATIC difference in how you look, and how thin your skinfolds are.

Want more proof of that? Go talk to anyone who has switched to a low carb diet. You tend to see a rapid loss of 10 lbs, and then it slows WAAAAY down. That's because once you've lost the water that was attached to the carbohydrate you can't lose any more weight without dropping either muscle or fat.

At a 2000kcal deficit, you were losing quite a bit of muscle, in addition to the fat you lost. You didn't have enough protein in your diet, for your size, to truly minimize the muscle loss.

Most likely you lost around 1.5-2kg of fat, and that's on the high end, but realistic.

Message of this post: You are free to believe what you want, but you are mis-interpreting the results of your 10 days.

Ádám Ficsór

Message of this post: You are free to believe what you want, but you are mis-interpreting the results of your 10 days.

I think my math above was very clear and there is no more meaning to discuss this further.

I am very critic either with my measurements and I wouldn't base so much on those data, that's why I've set up a hypothesis, found calculations to prove/confute that, and it proved it. The only thing what we can disagree is Lyle's constants in the calculations. And that's an opinion difference, but definitely not a "mis-intepretation". 

Other:

And yeah I'm a little bit obsessed about his work.

I see you're a true nerd like me and I recommend you to read The Stubborn Fat Solution. It has not much to do with this subject, not even your or my current purposes, its about losing the last bit of fat, and it's always a wonderful thing to see the extremes and know how they work. It is written in a high level and a surprisingly enjoyable style. I think if anybody then you would enjoy this as much as like I did.

Ádám Ficsór

Want more proof of that? Go talk to anyone who has switched to a low carb diet. You tend to see a rapid loss of 10 lbs, and then it slows WAAAAY down. That's because once you've lost the water that was attached to the carbohydrate you can't lose any more weight without dropping either muscle or fat.

Yeah if you see my weight that what happened. In the first 3 days I lost about 4 kg and in the next 6 days it was "only" 2kg with the same calorie deficit (actually even bigger, cos I get more psycho about this). But there were an intresting thing in the last day, I've lost 1kg in 1 day, but I'm not going to explain it cos it would take long. There is a link about it.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

The intresting thing is that, I went out and drink some alcohol and the next morning I felt like I was going to die, was pretty dry and lost 1kg.

Actually I'm a programmer and my bos was very happy about my diet obsession, literally could not do anything productive at those days.

Joshua Naterman

Yeah if you see my weight that what happened. In the first 3 days I lost about 4 kg and in the next 6 days it was "only" 2kg with the same calorie deficit (actually even bigger, cos I get more psycho about this). But there were an intresting thing in the last day, I've lost 1kg in 1 day, but I'm not going to explain it cos it would take long. There is a link about it.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

The intresting thing is that, I went out and drink some alcohol and the next morning I felt like I was going to die, was pretty dry and lost 1kg.

Actually I'm a programmer and my bos was very happy about my diet obsession, literally could not do anything productive at those days.

Interesting link. 

However, the reason I told you what I told you is not to convince you that you didn't lose a reasonable amount of fat, because you did, but to try and help you realize that skinfolds and bioelectrical impedance both require proper hydration in order to be accurate. There is actually a 24 hour protocol that is very specific about foods, hydration, alcohol, and all kinds of things that has to be followed for bio-impedance measurements to mean anything at all. We don't talk about the issues with skinfolds as often, but subcutaneous water is an issue there as well.

Additionally, with the kind of deficit you maintained there is absolutely no question that you sacrificed unnecessary muscle. 

You probably lost around 2kg of actual body fat, and you could have done that without the insane conditions in just 4 more days. 

You seem to be running with an explanation that feeds your ego instead of something more grounded in physiology, and I have tried to offer the latter. It is important to understand that Lyle has his opinions, and I have mine, and that he favors ketosis while I favor a more balanced approach that more closely matches the actual needs of our tissues. People, for whatever reason, seem to gravitate to extremes more than reasonable solutions, and that is why the diet industry is so enormous. It's easy to be extreme and make a lot of money, and have people believe you forever... it seems to be a part of what most people enjoy gravitating towards. I don't know why, I am not one of those people.

In the end, as long as you are happy, you're happy. 

• Upvote 1