Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

King of the Forum: Who Can Take Down Nigel?

Scott Malin

Completely different.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Aren't these weighted dislocates a key ingredient in getting the manna?

Completely different.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I can see they would be, they are almost the inverse of each other. How do they go as complementary work?

I find the narrower grip easier too. But while on the wider ones, I concentrate on almost un-hinging the arms from the shoulders as I go up and back and keeping the grip makes my chest and ribs move forward and up on the behind downstroke - so definitely lacking in flexibility somewhere (pectorals I think).

Next time I do dislocates I'll do a chest stretching session (http://www.wikihow.com/Perform-Chest-Stretches) first and see how it goes. I have inflexible wrists too, but I think for this exercise it's more of a chest flexibility issue.

I just tried it with a 10lb weighted bar and surprisingly I actually found it much easier to get the bar all the way around to the glutes.  It definitely gave me a big stretch through the wrists/forearms though (in a good way), but the added weight was actually beneficial to force the stretch.  

So what is an ideal weight to work with then?  Something you can do for 1 rep, 10 reps, multiple sets?

Congrats for the winning position so far Jon!

Just a doubt: Jon is already being shown as the king in the initial Forum page, but that doesn't mean the challenge has finished , right?

Congrats for the winning position so far Jon!

Just a doubt: Jon is already being shown as the king in the initial Forum page, but that doesn't mean the challenge has finished , right?

I am? I didn't even notice that!

Ongoing. I am expecting at least a  couple of people to beat the one I put up, will have to see if I can get up a bit higher too :)

Hmm, the sobering news of Daniels labrum tear made me recall my own trauma, surgery and recovery due to a Bankart lesion (unrelated to GST). To this day, thinking about it still makes me nauseous.

I'm doing well today, much better than predicted actually, but I won't push my luck, so I'll be conservative and probably won't participate in the competition. I will however keep working weighted dislocates in a tempo that's suitable for the medical history of my shoulder.

Oh, and I gotta say, the contributions so far are insane - well done, gentlemen! :)

• Upvote 1

Hmm, the sobering news of Daniels labrum tear made me recall my own trauma, surgery and recovery due to a Bankart lesion (unrelated to GST). To this day, thinking about it still makes me nauseous.

I'm doing well today, much better than predicted actually, but I won't push my luck, so I'll be conservative and probably won't participate in the competition. I will however keep working weighted dislocates in a tempo that's suitable for the medical history of my shoulder.

Oh, and I gotta say, the contributions so far are insane - well done, gentlemen! :)

There'll be more competitions coming :)

It never hurts to enter what you are safely capable of doing. Even earning a single point now may be the difference down the road between making King or not. Worst case, you simply don't place. 

I might submit a contribution, just making a note to brain not to go into *breakneck competition mode* on this one. I'm enjoying the challenge so far, but imagining a real dislocation of the shoulder (again) gave me the chills.

I haven't had any problems with them so far, by the way, just a satisfying, deeply tired sensation throughout the shoulder girdle.

70cm?! 69?! 12.5kg?!!!

Wow! :blink: That washes away my vain hopes with 5kg at 95cm. And that's because I improved a lot since I returned to dislocates around 2 months ago. I couldn't even hold a dowel and had to use an elastic tube.

I am currently using a thick tree twig I found in a park :D , can you believe how hard is to find a simple broomstick here in Japan? I'm ordering a stick, since there's nothing close to a dowel in the stores and weak uneven plastic bars everywhere.

Chris Aldersley

Is there a minimum acceptable width of grip?

After slow initial progress in the dislocates I've had a fairly dramatic improvement in recent times, though still far off some here.

Anthony Thompson

70cm?! 69?! 12.5kg?!!!

Wow! :blink: That washes away my vain hopes with 5kg at 95cm. And that's because I improved a lot since I returned to dislocates around 2 months ago. I couldn't even hold a dowel and had to use an elastic tube.

I am currently using a thick tree twig I found in a park :D , can you believe how hard is to find a simple broomstick here in Japan? I'm ordering a stick, since there's nothing close to a dowel in the stores and weak uneven plastic bars everywhere.

So long as your making progress your headed in the right direction. I like the improvisation, you could tell people it's "cave man mobility" lol!

Anthony Thompson

Heavy! I think I felt that sticking point with you :)

Yea, I tried 13kgs. Half a kg makes a world of difference!!

Cave man mobility?! Lol! Or immobility in my case! Actually I'm probably at " mummy" level ( more decayed and stiff than zombie). I might post a video with the twig and a kettlebell just for fun

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

my submission:

width: 35inches 
weight:10lbs

I think this might be a little wider than the norm, but nothing wrong developing it right now :P

edit: good thing that Nigel pointed out, I measured 35inches from the inside width (thumb to thumb)

• Upvote 2

5kg at 100cm today. Slightly more flexible. What do you measure to get your shoulder width? Are we talking outside edge to outside edge? For me, that's 54cm, so I'm nowhere near being inside one and a half times shoulder width for my grip, which I'm measuring as thumb to thumb.

Quick question, is the first competition (one arm handstand) still alive or does it stop with publishing the second?

That one had a deadline in the original post. Only one KOtF running at a time :)

Oh man, nearly forgot about this. Unfortunately in the video I filmed, one arm was leading the other by a bit. I'm going to have to do these in front of a mirror.