Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

King of the Forum: Who Can Take Down Nigel?

Scott Malin

Alexander Svensson

Edit;

I'm not saying don't start with as wide a grip as you need, I'm just saying don't start wih 10kg and your arms almost horizontal ^_^

Doh, I'll have to think out something else  :P

No but really, just making sure so I don't embarasse myself by having a too wide grip. I'll see what I come up with and if I deem it worthy of the competition I will take part.

@Jon, agreed. Was just trying to outline something along the lines of how to increase weight/width.

I know _you've_ got your head on straight, I just worry about impressionable people wandering in from Google. :)

To follow along from gohei for the heaviest weighted dislocate will a minimum grip width, such as 1.5 times shoulder width, be required to qualify for consideration?

Alessandro Mainente

is my turn.

i use that as my usual warm up. Next time i'll try after H1 mobility session.

2 plates of 5 kg each one and 0.8 kg bar.

Of course i consider the second rep.

• Upvote 4

Here is my first one (wish I had done the handstand challenge now)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201920906730026&l=4493638021656980326

That is a thin dowel weighing about 200grams and my hands are 50cms apart (as my futile attempt to show can prove) and my shoulders are about 60cm wide when measured from acromion to acromion. Looking forward to upping the weight over the months

• Upvote 1

Colin Macdonald

Do you guys also plan to schedule more challenges before the end of this challenge?

How about longest ABH?  :icon_twisted:

25 lb re-entry. I think I could have done a bit more, but it wasn't going to happen after handstand day :)

Coach, I meant to ask while I was there, but how do these stack up with 360 pulls in terms of shoulder conditioning?

• Upvote 3

Hi User, thanks for the heads up - I'm in the same boat having been merrily spinning my wheels doing them with the wrists coming away from the bar. I did a search and here is Coach's post on dislocates: http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/1358-shoulder-dislocates/ . I'll be looking for more in the fora via the Search function.

Thanks for the link.  I read through the whole discussion you referenced (along with any others that I found via the search) but I still cannot find an answer.  In the dislocates article one guy posed a similar question:

The overhead squat showed me that I was severely lacking in shoulder flexibility, so I have been using these a little bit as well.

One thing I was wondering about is whether you are supposed to completely grip the bar during the whole movement? When I have it behind my back touching my butt I often find that I have to open up the hands a little bit, even with a wide grip that I can easily move through the arch.

To which Coach Sommer's response was:

It is important that you maintain a firm grip and the same width, not allowing your hands to slide, during the entire movement.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

So it's quite clear that it is important to maintain a tight grip throughout the movement.  So is my issue with wrist flexibility or something different?  Am I missing an important cue?  Should I just stick with the widest possible width (even though I can pass the shoulder portion of the dislocate much narrower) until I can lower the full way?

Sorry to bring this up again, but I'm really stuck on this exercise.  Thanks for your help.

I generally suck at dislocates, but have found that the narrower the grip is, the less problematic it is to keep a closed grip.

Kate Abernethy

I find the narrower grip easier too. But while on the wider ones, I concentrate on almost un-hinging the arms from the shoulders as I go up and back and keeping the grip makes my chest and ribs move forward and up on the behind downstroke - so definitely lacking in flexibility somewhere (pectorals I think).

Next time I do dislocates I'll do a chest stretching session (http://www.wikihow.com/Perform-Chest-Stretches) first and see how it goes. I have inflexible wrists too, but I think for this exercise it's more of a chest flexibility issue.

Kate Abernethy

I just managed 5kg at 104cm separation. My weight's up a bit :) , but my flexibility is down :(

Oooo, that makes us on level pegging for this challenge  :)

...one day that crown will be mine...

Daniel Burnham

I'll post a video tomorrow night. Shooting for 30#.

Seems reasonable.  Manna training pushed mine way up.  I was doing 25 for reps.  I don't think Ill be able to do over about 20 without pain now though.

Guys,

Do you feel/hear any popping or grinding while doing these with such heavy weights?

No, maybe only in my very first unweighted ones of the day.

Alessandro Mainente

25 lb re-entry. I think I could have done a bit more, but it wasn't going to happen after handstand day :)

Coach, I meant to ask while I was there, but how do these stack up with 360 pulls in terms of shoulder conditioning?

that is very nice, How much distance between Your hands?

that is very nice, How much distance between Your hands?

Not sure, a bit more than shoulder width. Shouldn't be as far as 1.5x width though IIRC

Completely different.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

It is important to make sure you show a measurement of your grip and the weight on the video. If there's too much guesswork involved about it, the submission will not count.