Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

King of the Forum: Who Can Take Down Nigel?

Scott Malin

Another hosted video service will work. I believe Vimeo may still be accessible in Pakistan. If you can't find anything, we will work out a way for you to get us the video and we will post it up for you.

Christian Sørlie

Only had 6,5 kg lying around. But first entry from the Fenno-Scandinavian team :ph34r:

More to come

• Upvote 4

Vincent Stoyas

Only had 6,5 kg lying around. But first entry from the Fenno-Scandinavian team :ph34r:

More to come

Video is private

• Upvote 1

Daym, tried this today and got spanked. Tank you GB team for bringing to my attention that my flexibility and strength sucks. Will keep at it though.

The entries are already very impressive!

Watching these videos I now realize that I have been doing dislocates totally WRONG!  When I rotate the stick behind my back I loosen my grip (holding on with only my thumbs/indexes) and allow my wrists to rotate.  When I try keep a tight grip as seen in these videos though I can't get the stick anywhere near my glutes, no matter how wide I go!  My wrists just don't seem to want to allow it.  What am I doing wrong???  Please help!!!

This is how have been doing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpKeSgJlCWQ

Damn, my shoulder flexibility has decreased. I just tried it yesterday with a broomstick at about 2X shoulder width grip and couldn't dislocate. I remember being able to do these bar dislocates pretty easily and comfortably at 2X shoulder width grip or slightly less about a year or two ago when I first tried them then.

Kate Abernethy

Watching these videos I now realize that I have been doing dislocates totally WRONG!  When I rotate the stick behind my back I loosen my grip (holding on with only my thumbs/indexes) and allow my wrists to rotate.  When I try keep a tight grip as seen in these videos though I can't get the stick anywhere near my glutes, no matter how wide I go!  My wrists just don't seem to want to allow it.  What am I doing wrong???  Please help!!!

This is how have been doing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpKeSgJlCWQ

Hi User, thanks for the heads up - I'm in the same boat having been merrily spinning my wheels doing them with the wrists coming away from the bar. I did a search and here is Coach's post on dislocates: http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/1358-shoulder-dislocates/ . I'll be looking for more in the fora via the Search function.

Coach Sommer

For KoF2 currently Jon (formerly known as Charm) is in 1st, Christian is in 2nd and Nigel in 3rd.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Do you guys also plan to schedule more challenges before the end of this challenge? Something like concurrent challenges so we don't have to wait for a new one after 2 or more months? I think this would make the community even more active and competitive in a good way and allows more potential points to be earned in shorter period of time.

• Upvote 1

How long will this competition last?

Do you guys also plan to schedule more challenges before the end of this challenge? Something like concurrent challenges so we don't have to wait for a new one after 2 or more months? I think this would make the community even more active and competitive in a good way and allows more potential points to be earned in shorter period of time.

Maybe a Muscle Up, where the slowest one wins? Or a Plank to failure?

• Upvote 1

Joshua Naterman

What about who can do the most consecutive (no resting between reps) full ROM scapular push ups WITH good form? That might be fun and embarrassing for many of us :)

I'd imagine that a set tempo would be the best thing to do in that challenge.

Other ideas:

1. Longest single leg squat hold at 90 degrees (hip crease or ASIS even with the knee)
  2. Most consecutive body lever reps down to parallel
  • Upvote 2

No. Creating opportunities to gain more points allows a way to weasel out of this challenge. The general mobility level of members needs to first stop looking like that of a zombie encased in concrete before we worry about what comes next for KoF.

• Upvote 5

Alexander Svensson

Are we allowed to go as wide as possible on these or are there a minimum width we should follow?

@gohei_, it doesn't matter. The point of the challenge is for you to achieve more mobility over the following months. So a good plan to follow may be 1 week at 100cm separation/2kg, 1 week at 100cm/5kg, 1 week at 100cm 7.5kg, then start over with 80cm of separation and work in the same format. Have fun!

Hehe, I love this challenge, even though I suck at it. However, the numbers are going up, and the grip narrows, that's what counts.

Michael Soueid

Great that its a challenge where i can actually participate :)

Just tried it today at home and could do actually a couple of smooth reps with 6.25kg (i think i can go higher but didnt have more plates to try) at 2xShoulder Width. Didnt have a camera at hand though, will film it next time. I guess the constant, almost daily work on these elements since the seminar has paid of more than i thought.

@gohei_, it doesn't matter. The point of the challenge is for you to achieve more mobility over the following months. So a good plan to follow may be 1 week at 100cm separation/2kg, 1 week at 100cm/5kg, 1 week at 100cm 7.5kg, then start over with 80cm of separation and work in the same format. Have fun!

I like the spirit, but frankly that's much faster progression than I would advise on the weight. Just work one weight narrow, up it a bit and repeat. Throwing a relatively heavy weight over your shoulders with a ridiculously wide grip isn't going to improve your mobility and defeats the point of the challenge IMO. Whereas getting comfy with a lighter weight and more rotation/control with slow reps makes increasing the weight one step not so bad.

I'd rather find out that my vid here was my max working weight and focus on bringing my grip in a bit more than widen my arms for the sake of more weight, and although I'm not a patch on most people here I would argue that my all-around improvement agrees with me.

Edit;

I'm not saying don't start with as wide a grip as you need, I'm just saying don't start wih 10kg and your arms almost horizontal ^_^

• Upvote 1

Rob Kowalski

I like the spirit, but frankly that's much faster progression than I would advise on the weight. Just work one weight narrow, up it a bit and repeat. Throwing a relatively heavy weight over your shoulders with a ridiculously wide grip isn't going to improve your mobility and defeats the point of the challenge IMO. Whereas getting comfy with a lighter weight and more rotation/control with slow reps makes increasing the weight one step not so bad.

I'd rather find out that my vid here was my max working weight and focus on bringing my grip in a bit more than widen my arms for the sake of more weight, and although I'm not a patch on most people here I would argue that my all-around improvement agrees with me.

Edit;

I'm not saying don't start with as wide a grip as you need, I'm just saying don't start wih 10kg and your arms almost horizontal ^_^

There almost needs to be more consideration into the width of grip vs weight used.  If the goal is mobility, I'd rather focus on getting my grip as narrow as possible instead of adding weight.  Adding a pound of weight isn't nearly as difficult as bringing my hands in by an inch.  

• Upvote 2

There almost needs to be more consideration into the width of grip vs weight used.  If the goal is mobility, I'd rather focus on getting my grip as narrow as possible instead of adding weight.  Adding a pound of weight isn't nearly as difficult as bringing my hands in by an inch.  

Yes, that. That's what I meant :)

Rob Kowalski

Yes, that. That's what I meant :)

I'm sure there's a formula here somewhere, using your sleeve length, distance between hands, and weight used.

All in all, I'm excited about this challenge, whether I come close to winning or not.  If I can get my hands close to shoulder width I'll consider myself a winner.

Here mine. 112cm @ 7.5kg
Hope to be bringing the width down and leave the weight where it is, if not lighter :)

Not my speciality but here is my "Fenno-Scandinavian team" contribution. 6.13 kilos and 1 meter between my hands. 

Niclas, I know you are good at this. Post a video from Finland then we only have to get Razz in from Denmark to make it complete :).

If not Razz, then I'll chime in for DK sooner or later. Did 5 kg @ 75 cm for three reps today, so there's potential for heavier loads - but I don't want to screw up my shoulders, so it'll be a couple of weeks before posting anything remotely serious.

• Upvote 1