Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stillness in handstand

Robert Simcox

Robert Simcox

A few months ago I decided to start from square one with handstands, and started spending most of my HS training doing chest to wall holds. When I'm doing the wall work, I've really been focusing on "feeling" how my alignment feels, what the difference between an arched back and a straight back is, etc...

I would venture to say my line has improved dramatically, however when I do freestanding holds, I notice that my instinct to correct underbalance is to bend at the elbows. I know this is not the proper way, but it has become a pretty serious habit.

Here's a video of my freestanding HS, it just seems like I move quite a bit... Like I'm just lacking some stabiliy. If anyone has any tips for this, or anything else about my handstand, I would be very grateful! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spm0IvteCXY

yuri marmerstein

Point your toes :)

There's nothing wrong with your HS.  Your line is decent and you have a good start on balance; it just needs to be refined.

You are still making pretty big balance corrections.  You really need to focus on keeping the body still.  Find your center and work hard to stay there.  Do not let your feet sway back and forth.  Keep your body as one piece but try to be really active in the hands. 

The quicker you can react to make a correction the smaller correction you have to make.

• Upvote 3

Robert Simcox

Thank you for the advice Yuri, I'll start to make it a priority to focus on keeping myself still... And pointing my damn toes :)  I just noticed that you live in Vegas, I don't know if you do any handbalancing workshops around there but I live in Reno so if you do anything like that in the future... Maybe I need to make the drive down there.

yuri marmerstein

Let me know if you're ever in the Vegas area. 

If you might be interested in organizing something in Reno, that could work too

Robert Simcox

It would be awesome for you to come to Reno, the problem is that I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who even knows what handbalancing is here. I'll most definitely let you know if I'm near Vegas in the future!

ADRIANO FLORES CANO

Robby, you've actually the same HS line as me, my friend. Like Yuri said, it needs to be refined, just it.

But remember about dislocates and shoulder health, specific aligment drills on floor and not just "wall".

And I share you're feelings with "I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who even knows what handbalancing is here". 

But you've Yuri near you, I'm from Spain, so... :D

Good luck and keep improving!

• Upvote 1

Robert Simcox

Thank you for the kind words Adriano! I do disloates, but I haven't done any alignment drills on the floor... Maybe I should look into those to add onto my wall work.