Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

handstand balance on the knuckles?

Fred Mak

i took a hand balancing class yesterday.

the instructor made a couple of key points about handstands:

1. when doing handstands, balance your weight on the knuckles

2. put the shoulders over the knuckles - this is the first balance point

3. put the hips over the shoulders - this is the second balance point

4. gymnasts tend to stress tension in the handstand too much.  it is all about getting the balance points of the shoulders and hips in line.

(hopefully, i'm not misinterpreting any of his points, as i only took one class.)

the instructor seemed to be pretty good.  i think that you can usually tell how good a teacher is by how good his/her students are.  although i didn't watch his students very closely, they seemed to be pretty advanced.  his regular students were working on one arm handstands.

unfortunately for me, putting the weight on the knuckles seems to put more stress on my wrists.  it seems to me, that since the knuckles are farther from the wrist joint that it would cause hyperextension on the wrists.

by the way, jim from beastskills also advocates putting the weight over the knuckles (he mentions it in his handstand tutorial)

yet in the following thread, coach sommer says to put the balance point on the center of the palm rather than over the knuckles:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/137-transitioning-from-wall-handstands-to-free-standing/

basically my question is - what do you guys think of the hand balancing instructor's 4 points, especially point number one?