Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Getting Adequate Protein?

Afiya Zia

I'll be going back to Pakistan once summer holidays end, and I'm having trouble figuring out how I can get adequate protein to support my active lifestyle. The goal with protein is ~1g/lb of bodyweight, right? You cannot get any Greek yogurt in Pakistan, cottage cheese is sold in 100g containers, and milk has 4.5g of protein per serving instead of the 8-9g it has in Canada. Protein powder is off the table because "I'm a boy," and it isn't a "natural" source of protein. That leaves me with eggs (I'm not allowed more than two a day), chicken/beef/goat, and lentils and nuts. Peanut Butter could have been a viable solution, but even the "cholesterol free" versions contain partially hydrogenated oils. I weigh around 125 lbs, so getting enough protein shouldn't be too hard, but my options seem limited.

Yeah, I hadn't counted that... :l

I'm pretty sure I can get enough calories just by eating more bread and milk. But milk has a really high saturated fat to protein ratio. I have no clue how someone can manage to reduce the amount of protein normally found in milk O.o

FREDERIC DUPONT

(...) I have no clue how someone can manage to reduce the amount of protein normally found in milk O.o

Add water! :)

Add water! :)

That wouldn't surprise me one bit, people have purchased egg cartons filled with straw :P

But that wouldn't explain why the milk has regular amounts of carbs and fat, at 12g and 9g, respectively.

Milk for thought...

No avocados in Pakistan either. If there were, they'd be around Rs. 100 each

Sweet potatoes, gooseberries, mulberries, guavas etc are all seasonal. And most are organic as many of the farmers cannot afford fertilisers...there is a large difference in appearance between the output of poorer farmers' crops and the cash crop farmers' fruit.

Having gone to school in Canada, I much prefer school in Pakistan. Not just for the quality of learning, but for the learning environment provided. After eleven years of school there, adjusting now would be a little too late, and maybe not worth it for some food :P

Christian Sørlie

All milk in norway is also 4,5 g protein to 100 g milk. Never seen milk with more. You sure about the 8-9 in Canada?

Connor Davies

Getting loads of protein isn't a huge requirement, although obviously it's better.

If your protein is coming from organic raw vegetables, your body can actually absorb it a lot better than meat sources.  So roughly double the amount of protein in it...

For the record I should mention this is a half remembered fact from a jesus book I read a couple years ago.  Hopefully Joshua Naterman will chime in and set me straight...

All milk in norway is also 4,5 g protein to 100 g milk. Never seen milk with more. You sure about the 8-9 in Canada?

Yes, I'm sure. 

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.