Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gaining Mass / Fixing My Diet

Philipp Zimmermann

Guest SuperBru

Not to sound harsh, but if we were all well-fed, we wouldn't have a place to walk on anymore. There are quite a few people saying we have already surpassed the earths natural ability to hold an x amount of population. More people = more food = more agriculture = more chemicals in soil = a polluted earth = unhealthy people. Somebody more educated than me could probably give a better explanation as I just threw this off my head without researching.

I wonder what this is going to lead us to. I kind of expect a massive holocaust :mellow:

You have a very good point. Population control is needed for a sustained future, that's why in my opinion we should permanently remove criminals from our society. They wont be missed. :tent:   

Joshua Naterman

We already make enough food. The problem is not the supply, it is the distribution. America wastes more food each year than it would take to feed the hungry. That's just us. One country. A big country, a rich country, and for the most part a slovenly country, but just one country. We have more than we need, by far, and as a globe full of people so does Planet Earth. 

The real issue is that excessive food waste is putting the food those hungry folk need into dumpsters. If you want to feed people, you need to change food culture in the places that already have too much food. Good luck.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

... If you can't resist oatmeal then opt for chia seeds soaked in water (google it), I heard they work as an oatmeal replacement nicely too without the gluten and phytic acid :)

So I googled chia seeds and found lots of articles saying how amazing they are, and then read this;

And chia can help you get skinny. Because they can help prevent the absorption of some of the food you eat (along with the calories), chia can be a great asset to any diet plan. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christina-pirello/change-your-life-with-chi_b_446413.html

Sounds pretty screwed up to me, a food that prevents the absorption of other foods?  Damn.  

I'm in the same category as Phil - I would rather maintain or put weight on, not lose it.  

• 2 weeks later...
Philipp Zimmermann

Hi,

I just want to share my progress with you guys =)

Well in the last 6 weeks my trainingprogram was a bit lose. I did a practicum and had to ply between my home and my office everyday, this ends in some days where I worked nearly 9 hours and 4 hours travelling. But because of my practicum I´m now pro at keeping a WorkoutLog.

I eat around 2800 kcal everyday( well at least I try, but sometime I just felt to full to eat more ...and I prefer to fail at eating enough instead of exploding ... :P)

But my sleeping habbits sucks... Sometime I slept for 5 nights only 4 h each... ( Have to change that!)

I changed it with my schoolstart, now I get arroud 7-8 hours.

But I still gained 1-2 kg and because of the trainingbreak, I fell completly recoverd.

Also I have enough energy to train some extra moves like Wall Handstand, Wall runs and so on. =)

These kind of training will be kept at a medium range and will be stop immediatly when I fell it will be to much.

I do alot of stretching for my hips, legs and shoulders.

I decided to restart F1/H1 to fix some of my basic, because I rushed trough it abit... :facepalm: :facepalm:

Even if i just start 1 week ago, I fell stronger, my form improved and also the stretches feel alot better =).

Best luck ! =)

Philipp

Very welcome - it should not be too long now, I think it is already past 11:56 ;)

I'll be glad to hear your reactions to this lecture Hercules. :)

Well, Fred, I certainly enjoyed it, puts the whole growth discourse in a sobering perspective. Also is a telltale sign, that most politicians are probably underqualified as long term planners.

• Upvote 1

FREDERIC DUPONT

(...) politicians are probably underqualified as long term planners.

Expediency, and plans for the next 600 years for the future of humanity don't mix well! :)

• Upvote 1

FREDERIC DUPONT

600 years? What about the next 60 years?

Expediency! :P

Until we - as a specie - learn to think beyond a generation lifespan, it will be very difficult to change our ways. :)

Bill Köhntopp

Hi,

I just want to share my progress with you guys =)

Well in the last 6 weeks my trainingprogram was a bit lose. I did a practicum and had to ply between my home and my office everyday, this ends in some days where I worked nearly 9 hours and 4 hours travelling. But because of my practicum I´m now pro at keeping a WorkoutLog.

I eat around 2800 kcal everyday( well at least I try, but sometime I just felt to full to eat more ...and I prefer to fail at eating enough instead of exploding ... :P)

But my sleeping habbits sucks... Sometime I slept for 5 nights only 4 h each... ( Have to change that!)

I changed it with my schoolstart, now I get arroud 7-8 hours.

But I still gained 1-2 kg and because of the trainingbreak, I fell completly recoverd.

Also I have enough energy to train some extra moves like Wall Handstand, Wall runs and so on. =)

These kind of training will be kept at a medium range and will be stop immediatly when I fell it will be to much.

I do alot of stretching for my hips, legs and shoulders.

I decided to restart F1/H1 to fix some of my basic, because I rushed trough it abit... :facepalm: :facepalm:

Even if i just start 1 week ago, I fell stronger, my form improved and also the stretches feel alot better =).

Best luck ! =)

Philipp

What helped me last year for gaining muscles was to write everything down i've eaten. day by day. it really helps, it's a mental help.

And when it's evening and you check out your nutrition table and there are missing some calories, it's relativ simple to get these with a good-night-shake, you can drink it while reading or watchin tv or so and just have to nip from time to time. liquid calories are easier to handle for people like you and me.

i will do it that way from now on again, after i lost much weight the last months...keep on eating ;)

Philipp Zimmermann

I thought about getting a Mass Gainer, because on some day it´s really hard to eat that much for me.

And it´s going hand in hand with your advice.

I would be able to sip on the shake from time to time and don´t have to eat even if I don´t want to.

Whats your opinion on Mass Gainers?

FREDERIC DUPONT

A mass gainer is protein mixed with sugar sold at the price of protein!

You'll get a better deal (and better control) with a pure protein shake and some carbs from the lists that Joshua Naterman has outlined in various threads.

• Upvote 2

Bill Köhntopp

I thought about getting a Mass Gainer, because on some day it´s really hard to eat that much for me.

And it´s going hand in hand with your advice.

I would be able to sip on the shake from time to time and don´t have to eat even if I don´t want to.

Whats your opinion on Mass Gainers?

I'm also very lean..70,5 Kg/1,85m but i before my trip to marocco and some bad months i was before 80 kg!

So it's really possible, i thought i was eating enough, than i wrote it done and it wasn't!

I didn't needed a gainer, my shake consists of 300-400ml milk, 250g low fat curd cheese, some oat flakes, 1 banana, some berries and that was the whole buisness every night after a workout. and it worked very well without getting more fat. so, try it or not, but its also very tasty :)

AND its cheap!

Joshua Naterman

If you're going to use mass gainer, I would strongly consider doing so after the workouts... it is difficult to find anything that has added carbs and is also low GI. A giant pile of fairly empty, rapidly absorbed carbs that isn't PWO is generally not the best approach from a health perspective or a body comp perspective.

Of course, that's from a technical point of view. What really matters the most is whether or not you can function throughout the day. It is easy to forget that you need fats with the meals you eat, and you typically won't have that in a mass gainer, so having some almonds (or other nuts) to munch on along with the shake is a good idea. I prefer almonds and nuts over oils in this scenario because the nuts have a fair bit of fiber, and should help to slow down absorption a bit. If you think this approach, or just the shake sipping, might work for you then by all means try it, but pay attention to how you feel as time passes. If you don't feel like crap when using the shake, and you don't notice negative changes in your progress, AND you are getting several real meals with a pretty good amount of vegetable matter, then I think it is probably fine for you.

Sorry I can't give you a solid yes/no answer, a lot of this is personal. Just be aware that it is easy for shakes to sort of make you forget that you do need a good bit of plant matter in your diet for optimal health, and likely body composition as well.

Philipp Zimmermann

I tought about getting the shake in the evening maybe just before bed or after my workout, but now I think a milkshake with some extra carbs and so on would do a better job. But first I have to focus on getting enough meals and good meals trough the day.

I will give it a try and see how it works.

Thanks for your advice.

Bill Köhntopp

i would prefer the selfmade shake, because its up to you whats in it :)
I'm just taking a selfmade shake after days with training, 3times a week. i don't use it to get my normal calories :)

• 2 weeks later...

We already make enough food. The problem is not the supply, it is the distribution. America wastes more food each year than it would take to feed the hungry. That's just us. One country. A big country, a rich country, and for the most part a slovenly country, but just one country. We have more than we need, by far, and as a globe full of people so does Planet Earth. 

The real issue is that excessive food waste is putting the food those hungry folk need into dumpsters. If you want to feed people, you need to change food culture in the places that already have too much food. Good luck.

This report came out recently about supposed sell by dates as being a major cause of food waste:

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/foodpolicyinitiative/files/2013/09/dating-game-report.pdf

"It has been estimated that redistributing 30 percent of all the food lost in the United States could feed every food insecure American their total diet"

http://www.nrdc.org/food/files/wasted-food-ip.pdf

"Getting food to our tables eats up 10 percent of the total U.S. energy budget,1 uses 50 percent of U.S. land,2  and swallows 80 

percent of freshwater consumed in the United States.3  Yet, 40 percent of food in the United States today goes uneaten.4 That is more than 20 pounds of food per person every month.5  Not only does this mean that Americans are throwing out the equivalent of $165 billion each year,6  but also 25 percent of all freshwater7  and huge amounts  of unnecessary chemicals, energy, and land."

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.