Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rings Support Question

Gwy

Hello everyone, I am new here and have just begun training on the rings recently.

My workout is very basic currently, consisting of dips, pull-ups, and holds. The question I have is to do with the rings turned out position; I'm not sure I'm doing it right. When I get into the hold, I depress my shoulders down and try and point my toes, and turn the rings out to ~60 degrees, however I can feel the rings touching my glutes. Should I move them further apart, or is this OK? Also, are my forearms supposed to be in contact with the rings/straps? Sorry to ask such a beginner question, but I am anxious to start properly, as I firmly believe that only perfect practise makes perfect. Thank you.

Ralph Palutke

rings should be turned out to aproximatly 45 degrees.

Your forearms should NOT touch the rings.

The rings should NOT touch your glutes. So widen your arms a little is ok.

Jon Douglas

They will brush during dips, unless you are doing them with rings held turned out the whole time; substantially more difficult than letting them rotate in somewhat as you descend (obviously turn em back out as you go back up).

Connor Davies

rings should be turned out to aproximatly 45 degrees.

Really?  I've always assumed I should be rotating them to 90 degrees, or full ROM....

Wouldn't you need to lean forward for 90° RTO? When I turn to 90°, my forearm touches the ring. With 45° I don't have this problem.

Jon Douglas

Eventually you would want to turn them out 90 degrees to get the full benefits.

Really? I play with this sometimes but I assumed it was sort of a dead end thing.

Joshua Slocum

Really? I play with this sometimes but I assumed it was sort of a dead end thing.

Ideally your body also rotates forwards 90 degrees. 

• Upvote 2

Jon Douglas

Ideally your body also rotates forwards 90 degrees. 

Not all of us candy kids are [sunglasses] Maltesers [/sunglasses]

• Upvote 1

I thought that was what he was getting at... maybe in 5 years or so haha. Thank you very much for your help, everyone. I'll make sure to practise properly tomorrow. :3

Coach Sommer

At a minimum turn the rings out past parallel.  How much past parallel will vary from athlete to athlete.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

Dennis Yiatras

would shoulder dislocates be a good IM for RTO.  I think I might be adding a couple sets of these a week and I would Like a mobility with this.

exactly that's why it should be 45 degrees.

Only at the minimum should it be 45 degrees turned out. 90 degrees turned out is the max where the forearm is fully supinated and is the hardest for RTO support. Your biceps and its tendons are working harder when turned out 90 degrees and the chest and lats are also working harder to stabilize.

Wouldn't you need to lean forward for 90° RTO? When I turn to 90°, my forearm touches the ring. With 45° I don't have this problem.

I don't remember having to lean forward to stop the forearms from touching the rings whenever I did 90 degrees RTO support. I could have remembered it incorrectly though. With a forward lean it becomes even harder. I will have to set up my rings and try them again soon to see if there is any leaning.

• 2 weeks later...
Bill Köhntopp

Like Coach said, it vary from athlete to athlete.

When doing RTO support hold just my hand is touching the rings, nothing else, but if i'm having not the perfect form, my forearms touch them, but the distance is really small. But i have to lean a little forward for that, body still straight.

Friends of mine are not getting away from the rings with forearmes, not in dips, not in supports...

Connor Davies

I've been wondering about hand placement actually.  Should we be maintaining a straight line from elbow to knuckles, or should we have a slight backwards bend in our hands so that the position more closely resembles that of a hand placed on the ground?

Vincent Stoyas

I've been wondering about hand placement actually. Should we be maintaining a straight line from elbow to knuckles, or should we have a slight backwards bend in our hands so that the position more closely resembles that of a hand placed on the ground?

There's a thread somewhere in the forums that answers it and shows picture. The answer was that thee should be a bend in your wrist. I'll find the thread I'd you can't when I have more time.

Connor Davies

There's a thread somewhere in the forums that answers it and shows picture. The answer was that thee should be a bend in your wrist. I'll find the thread I'd you can't when I have more time.

Thanks.  I'll look for it now.