Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

integrating hand balancing with other training

Chris H Laing

Chris H Laing

Hey everyone. I want to become decent at hand balancing (one arm HS both arms, presses from L and strL) and am wondering the best way to include all the HB in my regular workouts.

My workout is Mon - bl+pullup, pl+hspu, cpp Tues - fl+sls, strL+body lever, tumbling Thurs - bl+row, pl+pushup, MPPr/MPPu supersets Fri - fl+ghr, strL+windshield wipers, v-up/rll supersets

Each workout takes around an hour maybe a little more because I do 10 min of joint mobility before my warmup, and I do joint prep movements after the workout, such as wrist pushups and jefferson curls.

So any ideas of how to have a couple hours of HB a week in addition to these workouts? Anyone who does hand balancing (palmcron, Ido, jutajata) and does other stuff on the side can you explain your schedule?

My recommendation would be to add the handstand training into your schedule just after your joint mobility work, but prior to the main body of your conditioning.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Guest Ido Portal

Put handbalancing into your warm up sequence for every workout you do. Cut joint mobility to 5 min and do 15 min of HB after it. It will give you a 20 min warm up and lots of chances for practice and frequent practice.

After a while of doing so, you will be able to achieve a 1:1.5 work to rest ratio, with quality sets and that will provide 30 sec of work, 45 sec rest for 12 cycles. That can be something. (for example 3 sets of 2 handers, 3 sets of closed position - one arm, 3 sets of medium straddle-one arm, 3 sets of wide straddle-one arm)

I hope this is helpful,

Ido.