Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

chen yibings maltese

Ralph Palutke

Ralph Palutke

hey folks,

in my eyes chen yibing has the perfect maltese position and i aim to copy his maltese in the long run. he is extremly protracted in his maltese what i like. nevertheless i wonder if it actually is a correct maltese anyways? i've never seen him doining a maltese with hands at shoulder level due

to his heavy protraction.

so what do you think are his hand to low compared to his shoulders?

i guess it's a legit maltese otherwise coach wouldn't have mentioned that he thinks yibings maltese is flawless.

Despite who do you think has the nicest maltese?

chen-yibing-maltese-cross-on-rings1.jpg

CHenYibing08RingsCliveBrunskillGETTY8240

so long

p5yx

Joshua Slocum

I like mine the most, because it's mine :P

In all seriousness though, Chen's is pretty much perfect. In my mind the difference between lining up the hands with the hips or lining up the rings with the hips is largely aesthetic, though personally I try to go for hands/hips.

• Upvote 5

Ralph Palutke

In my mind the difference between lining up the hands with the hips or lining up the rings with the hips is largely aesthetic, though personally I try to go for hands/hips.

Ah thx josh i didn't know that would be valid. Despite i really like his style better than a complete hands to hip alignment like for example arthur zanetti. but as you said that would be totally due to a personal matter of taste.

Coach Sommer

One of the great injustices of the 2012 Olympics was Yibing not winning the Ring Finals.  Although if Baladin had gone either gold or silver, I would not have quibbled much.

In my opinion Zanetti should not even have been in the top three.  

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 5

I would just like to mention that Arthur Zanetti's maltese was done with the triceps squeezing into the lats (same as the lat squeeze cheat for BL) along with shoulders slightly elevated and arms less than 45 degrees out as a result which I hear and can imagine is easier than the type of maltese Chen Yibing does. Now I'm not hating on Zanetti or anything since I'm pretty sure that at his level he can probably do the other maltese too if he wanted to and that there are many other gymnasts who use the lats squeeze method too and it is technically allowed by the judges without deductions, I'd just wanted to mention the 2 different malteses I see being used by gymnasts since I don't think many people here know the difference.

Alessandro Mainente

i understand your point, i can see the difference between the movement your are saying (maltese, BL, maltese) by watching the execution of yan mingyong, he is opening the arms during the reverse transition from BL instead of pressing over the lats (1:05)

http://youtu.be/GyjXQQ6JHZM

Ralph Palutke

What i've also always wondering about is the width of the hands in a full planche. you often see gymnasts do their ring planches with their hands wider than shoulder width.

how width would the hands be apart in a perfect planche? shoulder width?

Ralph Palutke

i don't think he does hyperextend THAT mutch. His biceps and triceps muscles are just hugh....

• Upvote 1

i understand your point, i can see the difference between the movement your are saying (maltese, BL, maltese) by watching the execution of yan mingyong, he is opening the arms during the reverse transition from BL instead of pressing over the lats (1:05)

http://youtu.be/GyjXQQ6JHZM

Yes that's the point, but even without doing moves like BL to maltese or Azarian maltese, you can enter a maltese in any way and just squeeze the triceps with the lats and hold the position. 

You see here that the malteses he does have the arms less than 45 degrees out (due to squeezing the lats and shrugging the shoulders) compared to the malteses Chen Yibing, Yan Mingyong, Jordan Jovtchev, etc. does which have the arms wide out and triceps free of the lats.

I once heard of a gymnast who can't hold a full planche on floor, rings, and bars train up to being able to do a maltese with the lats squeezed on rings by doing leans with the triceps squeezing the lats into the position on push-up bars angle outwards and still not be able to do a full planche afterwards.

Ralph Palutke

Slightly wider.

Do you have a good picture where i can see the exact width? besides i guess we should train the planche leans at that width also. am i right?

Daniel Burnham

You should hold planche and leans at a width that is most beneficial to your anatomy. You want maximal force from all muscles involved which will be slightly different for everyone but will be a little wider that shoulder width. Once you start balancing and get stronger leans you will find this position as it is the easiest place to hold with correct form.

• Upvote 1

Ralph Palutke

ah seems legit. never thought about searching for the right width Daniel. i always thought planches have to be at shoulder width to be correct.

• Upvote 1