Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How Long of a Wall Handstand Before Serious Freestanding?

Guest Blake12

Guest Blake12

What is considered "mastery" for wall handstands?

I was thinking in the range of 5 x 60 or 3 x 90 before ample endurance is achieved to seriously train for a good freestanding handstand but I'm not sure.

Alessandro Mainente

the matter is not how much wall handstand but how much immobility you have. with that i want to say that only when a proper body alignment is achieved you can move over free handstand. alignment is a matter of shoulders mobility, thoracic mobility, pelvic tilt control and more. so if you want an index of what you have to master, of course before master your mobility then look forward for free hs.

H1 is what you need.

• Upvote 1

Rikke Olsen

I don't think you'd be doing anything wrong practicing handstand. Just strive for perfect for instead of letting your ego control you (i.e. going for time with bad form rather than potentially falling with good form. If that made sense).

I know my free HS has improved significantly, even though I haven't really done any wall HSs (shame on me, I know).

Point being - just focus on form.

Parth Rajguru

I would recommend being able to hold a wall handstand for about 45-60 seconds before seriously starting to train balance, just to make sure you don't get fatigued during the balancing sets.

Remember, balancing work does not necessarily have to be done in the middle of a room. Based on my experiences, beginners will see better progress by training balance near a wall with some smart, specific drills to teach the balancing mechanics. 

David McManamon

"Mastery" and "good" are relative terms.  I prefer to refer to "prerequisites" and a wall handstand is just one possible route to learn handstands.

If you are using a wall for your progressions you need to work towards a wall handstand where you are comfortable with your chest facing the wall and hands very close to the wall and good overall technique.  From there your feet will soon easily lift off the wall and you will be in handstand.

The danger in using a wall for your progressions is that some students will not learn correct technique so the recommendation already made to buy H1 will probably speed your progress tremendously.