Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One arm handstand video

jutajata

Im gonna post a video about my attempt on the oah and wanna know about alignment and other tips that can improve my balance and the hold. My record is 35 secs in one hand, i train by myself and use the very precious advices i can harvest in this forum and on the youtube. My base training is yoga and a little of gymnastics strenght stuffs.

Enjoy and feel free to comment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEsCmu-8ePk

Guest Ido Portal

My friend, (God help me with all of the nicknames going on the forum, I feel like an Idiot repeating those)

your one arm handstand is very nice.

What will take you further is not improving allignment, your allignment is fine. Yes, you can take your free hand higher - to a parallele position to the ground and with it lift the shoulder a bit higher, etc... but...

The real improvement will come once you will stop relying on your legs for balance with that 'teeter-tooter' motion that you have going on there (it is not so bad, but still) and will start to use your wrist for balance. Less movement, smaller corrections, more time spent in accurate - 'dead balance', better endurance and many more benefits.

This is the difference between someone like a breakdancer or a self-taught handbalancer, and a well trained equilibre master. The equilibrisit will have no motion in his legs and just minor adjustments in his supporting hand, this will allow him to stand longer, better and more accuratly in the one arm position.

Learn from this guy:

uOeE_YiSXLo

I hope this helps, keep up the good work,

Ido.

Thanks for the very precious advice!

Im gonna try this now in my training routine.

I would like to add that your advices about equilibre are very accurate and necessary for me to improve the skill.

Thanks again and i wish you a very good time in Claude Victoria´s home.

Im gonna post the reply from Yuval about the same question, maybe can help another ones who are trying this skills.

Hi! (what is your name?)

First of all great work! your lines are nice and I can see you becoming a great equilibrist (depending of course how obsessive you become with this special discipline.

A few pointers:

1. I would first of all suggest that you always work on both arms. Since you are still in the begining, I think it's would be beneficial to always work on both arms...There will always be a dominent arm, but with your physical abilities and control I can see from the Yoga sequences and positions that you had mastered I think it wouldn't be a problem for you.

2. the position of the working arm (the one on which you ar standing is good... In general you want it to be vertical to the floor (pressing up), and in that respect I think you are really on track.

3. Before you start doing variation and different interesting positions in handstand, I would suggest that the basic work will be with pointed toes (I know it's not required in Yoga, but in equilibre and acrobatic it is imprortant (at least in the begining) until your body reaches a level of control that will allow you to do what ever you want with your extremities.

4. your left leg (the leading leg in your video should reach the horisontal level (in reference to the ground) that will make it easier to ballance.

5. the lifting arm (the left one in your case) is perhaps the area which you should focus on! you should start the shifting of your wight and at the same time push up with your "working arm" the lifting arm should leave the ground effortlessly. The best way to start, and is to start supporting with your fingers, then one finger, and then slowly leave the ground (you are already past this step, how ever that should always be the process. (eventually it wouldn't be noticeable. you should feel that your elbow is lifted from the ground (as if by a string) and then straight your arm reaching a horizontal level (to the ground). the lifted arm should be straight (but try not to make an effort, it should feel effortless)

I know it's not ideal to do this in writing, but it's better than nothing...you can take another look at my practice video in which you will be able to see what I tried to describe in words...

Feel free to write to me with any questions. it will be my pleasure to assist.

Ciao,

Yuval

For Yuval´s videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/jube73

Mikael Kristiansen

Im a doing handbalancing myself, and from what I see, you are doing pretty good. Working on moving your free arm would be good, since you seem pretty confident in that position. You can also try working on legs together, though it is a lot harder and requires very good technique.

Alternatively you could work on lowering your left leg downwards towards the floor, learning to hold the 1 arm in a kind of hanging balance(breakers most often do this). Learning this will make it easier to learn the various counterbalance positions where you are hanging sideways.

Also, as Yuval said, work both arms. You have nothing to lose on training both, actually it could help out in some issues. I have had problems learning a specific position on my right(dominant) arm for a while until I started working it on my left. On my left I did the position slightly different, though more unstable, which taught me more about how my body needed to be aligned in that specific position. It gave me a breakthrough on my right arm, because I got a second view on the position. You can also compare how long it will take you to teach yourself a 1 arm on your left now that you know how you train for it, with how long it took on your right.