• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gatorade vs. Powerade

Quick Start Test Smith

Quick Start Test Smith

Hi guys !

OK, this is the situation:

There's a tournament this Saturday (July 20) that I want to win.

I've had a tough head and chest cold for the last two weeks. A lot of congestion, headaches, and quite a bit of fever. I feel OK now, but still overall very fatigued and a bit "out of it" still.

I hardly eat at all on the day of the tournament. Even though I'll get some milk protein powder with veggies and rice early in the morning, I lose all my appetite before and during the competition because there is so much waiting. My mouth always gets very dry though, so I usually drink a lot of liquids.

Instead of drinking only water during the tournament, I thought I'd sip powerade or gatorade in the period of competition (about 1100-1600 give or take a half hour).

Questions:

• Which is preferable in my situation? Gatorade or powerade?
  • Is protein important during this short period? Should I sip a bit of whey here and there?
  • Should I at least try to get a significant amount of fat in my early morning meal? Would that help me sustain my energy into the late afternoon? 

Thanks!

Keilani Gutierrez

idk what to say for you there.

on the liquids, definitely keep sodium in them(i've noticed that after beginning joshs water/sodium mixture, i do more bowel movements) <<--this is important to me because i once got hit in the nads with my bike frame and thank goodness i did not eat because my reaction was hurling like my stomach wanted to throw up. really forcibly too. it sucked. turns out its a reaction that can be re-stimulated easily martially(i didnt use a cup at the beginning of martial practice...and...well lost my lunch.)

thats the digestive side, stomach-wise, i like feeling light and not like a water mattress, so the faster gastric emptying was a huge win for me.

food wise, i'd keep it with fruits, maybe some grains and a protein shake here and there to not start going too heavily into catabolism (im not a martial competitor because it doesnt really turn me on, so i dont know how important this might be for you but you can do it.) if i dont eat enough, i get super cranky, as well, not good for focus

once or twice, i've taken small tablespoon-fullshots of coconut oil and olive oil.

i didn't really like competition for the reason of dragging on waiting for heats, not being to eat adequately and then prizing at night. this is why i prefered jam set ups or riders choice.

Joshua Naterman

In my opinion, Gatorade. Sucrose is a slower release of sugar than free glucose and free fructose. 

Personally, I do not like how Powerade makes me feel, but maybe that's just me.

• Upvote 2

Jon Douglas

In my opinion, Gatorade. Sucrose is a slower release of sugar than free glucose and free fructose. 

Personally, I do not like how Powerade makes me feel, but maybe that's just me.

It's not, I'm the same on that one.

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

It's not, I'm the same on that one.

Personally I can't tell the difference. It's all just salt and sugar to me.

Jon Douglas

Personally I can't tell the difference. It's all just salt and sugar to me.

It's been a long time since I had it, since I was playing tennis a lot back in high school, but I distinctly remember trying to play with a stomach that wasn't happy the couple times I tried powerade.

Quick Start Test Smith

I drank some powerade at the last tournament, and it did absolutely nothing for me, so I will try the gatorade this time.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

• Upvote 1

FREDERIC DUPONT

(...) I will try the gatorade this time.

Make sure you try it first prior to T day :)

• Upvote 1

Quick Start Test Smith

Make sure you try it first prior to T day :)

I've had it before while doing yard work/shoveling all day and had no negative effects. Thanks for the warning, though.  ;)

Gatorade Recover has protein in it as well, if that's what you want.

I remember spending one full day at a soccer tournament where all we had to eat was bananas. I had like 10 because each one I had made me hungrier :l Since the. I've been very much against eating carbs without protein/fat. It wrecks me :P

Good luck with your tournament :)

• Upvote 1

Quick Start Test Smith

Isn't Propel one of those zero calorie energy drinks? It has great vitamins and minerals, but I think I actually need calories during the day when I don't feel like eating.

I may get a 5 hour energy drink though... 

Jon Douglas

Isn't Propel one of those zero calorie energy drinks? It has great vitamins and minerals, but I think I actually need calories during the day when I don't feel like eating.

I may get a 5 hour energy drink though...

Ive been considering that one. If you go that way please let us know how it goes when you need some actual performance, not just staying awake :)

Joshua Naterman

I would just mix protein into your gatorade, unless you are going to get an offensive flavor combination :) Of course you can always have the protein in a separate mix altogether and avoid potential flavor issues that way.

Either way, you will feel MUCH better with the protein.

• Upvote 1

Quick Start Test Smith

I would just mix protein into your gatorade, unless you are going to get an offensive flavor combination :) Of course you can always have the protein in a separate mix altogether and avoid potential flavor issues that way.

Either way, you will feel MUCH better with the protein.

WELL GREAT TIMING, JOSH.  :facepalm:

lol, jk. ;)  :P The tournament went pretty well, and I think I felt as good as was reasonable given two weeks of being ill. Two things I think really helped was the gatorade (gonna mix protein in next time), getting a fat/protein heavy meal with lots of vegetables in the morning before I started to lose my appetite, and taking plenty of magnesium/zinc/melatonin before bed for the last two nights (slept like a rock).

I took 1st in kata with a personal best score, 2nd in weapons kata to my friend and one of my primary competitive inspirations (she's insane - I gotta learn her advanced bo form). I also took 1st in kumite, and was runner up to overall grand champion by one point (again). Wish they'd get some cameras so they could stop ignoring my side kicks, but can't say I'm not happy with how I fought.

Looking forward to the next tournament when I'll be in better condition and maybe I can take home my 3rd grand championship. It's in three weeks!  :)

• Upvote 4

Quick Start Test Smith

Ive been considering that one. If you go that way please let us know how it goes when you need some actual performance, not just staying awake :)

I ended up not getting the 5 hour energy. Didn't feel like I needed it. GATORADE IS GOOD.

• Upvote 1

FREDERIC DUPONT

(...)

slept like a rock) (...)

1st in kata  (...)

personal best score(...)

2nd in weapons kata (...)

1st in kumite, (...)

overall grand champion (...)

I'm (...) happy with how I fought.

I can take home my 3rd grand championship

WooHoo!

Well done Patrick :)

• Upvote 2

Quick Start Test Smith

Thanks, Fred!  B-)

Still, was only the runner up.  ;)

Quick Start Test Smith

Congrats!

Now get back to training :)

Started first thing this morning.  ;)

• Upvote 1

Joshua Naterman

Great work!

Hahaha, put me on your payroll and my timing will improve dramatically :)

• Upvote 2

Quick Start Test Smith

Great work!

Hahaha, put me on your payroll and my timing will improve dramatically :)

When you become a full time doctor and coach, I will not hesitate to do so.  :)

Edit:

And thank you very much. Your training/eating advice has helped me a ton in many areas of my life.

Keilani Gutierrez

When you become a full time doctor and coach, I will not hesitate to do so.  :)

Edit:

And thank you very much. Your training/eating advice has helped me a ton in many areas of my life.

I second that motion, big time. I'm getting such a noticeable improvement in my magnetic resonance tests that it bears to further instigate my customers that obesity or diabetes is not due so much to toxicity but not treating the metabolism adequately. (this opinion is subject to change with more experience and education)toxicity has its place yeah, but my results have changed ridiculously just on focusing on the protein/carb/fats per meal and spaced them out. my immune system has gotten a lot better...let's see where this goes with adding in meditation. 

Josh, would you mind if you could take a look at my results for me? (not necessary if you don't have the time, just wanted to ask a few questions)

Joshua Naterman

I second that motion, big time. I'm getting such a noticeable improvement in my magnetic resonance tests that it bears to further instigate my customers that obesity or diabetes is not due so much to toxicity but not treating the metabolism adequately. (this opinion is subject to change with more experience and education)toxicity has its place yeah, but my results have changed ridiculously just on focusing on the protein/carb/fats per meal and spaced them out. my immune system has gotten a lot better...let's see where this goes with adding in meditation. 

Josh, would you mind if you could take a look at my results for me? (not necessary if you don't have the time, just wanted to ask a few questions)

Sure, but it will need to wait until mid-september. Just send me a message via facebook.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.