Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pike and Straddle Press Handstand

Guest Blake12

Guest Blake12

I've been wanting to learn a press handstand for quite a while but seem to be pretty stuck. Was wondering if anyone can provide some tips for either pike or straddle press handstand. I'd much rather learn pike but I know straddle is generally considered much easier.

What are some pre-requisites before beginning seriously pike press handstand as far as abs, flexibility, and shoulders?

Is lifting from L sit to pike stand helpful?

I can do pike press negatives but only if my hands are fairly far away from the wall and sometimes I can't lower the last few inches. Will this still be helpful despite my hands being no where near aligned with my shoulders?

Just wanting some general tips for press handstands!

Joshua Naterman

Grab H1 so that you can learn a proper body line. Along the way, you'll be building the strength that you need to pick up the presses quickly once you are actually ready to train them directly.

Alongside this training, you should spend time on your straddle pike (pancake stretch) and regular pike stretches. This going to take a while, but it should make sense that there are two requirements for learning a press (either one):

1) Having a good handstand. Alignment, strength, endurance, control. You're spinning your wheels if you don't have these. You can lean them with H1.

2) Having the flexibility that the full movement requires.

Connor Davies

Working reverse leg lifts in a headstand and handstand wall runs would both be pretty helpful.

Aaro Helander

A good pike stretch and working the flexibility of your upper back and shoulders will help a great deal. I was stuck for a veery long time with handstand presses until I opened some bad trigger points from my upper back and improved my bad posture.

yuri marmerstein

In addition to good pancake and pike flexibility you will need strength in your hip flexors to actively hold the compression

• Upvote 2

Nic Branson

In addition to good pancake and pike flexibility you will need strength in your hip flexors to actively hold the compression

Active compression. Very very overlooked part of it. It's like Yuri knows something about this...

Joshua Naterman

Active compression. Very very overlooked part of it. It's like Yuri knows something about this...

Yuri knows handstand presses?!

• Upvote 2

Mladen Ruzic

2) Having the flexibility that the full movement requires.

I have F1 and will soon buy H1 - are there any stretching included in H1 since my flexibility can be compared to a piece of wood?

Joshua Slocum

Or good planche strength  :P

George Vere

I have a really bad pancake (and a summer to work on it), but I've got okay pike flexibility. When I pike, I hinge at the hips and really try to feel my hip flexors. I find it quite an exertion. 

Romulo Malta

I have F1 and will soon buy H1 - are there any stretching included in H1 since my flexibility can be compared to a piece of wood?

Every handstand element in H1 is followed by a mobility exercise. It will work mostly your shoulder girdle, scapula and pelvic flexibility.