Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Aerobic fitness,cardio ( How does it work? )

Deins Drengers

Deins Drengers

I'll start with the beginning.

My plan was to study exercise science so I found a University. There was an interview and aerobic test. 

My aeorbic fitness from a scale 1-10 was 1. This was the shock of my life.

Although I could run 10km in 48-50 mins ( its nothing special but its not that bad) 

So, how can my heart be so weak ? I have never liked cardio because it is long and boring, but that doesnt mean that I could not do it ( example above) 

From their protocol they said that my heart is not even ready for me to start running, so i should start walking or bike riding.

The interview and the test was there because there is a contest. I think my chances are very small now...

Im not fat or physically weak or diabetes or a drunk. 

I mean WHATS GOING ON ?!

How should I fix this ? 

FREDERIC DUPONT
(...) My aeorbic fitness from a scale 1-10 was 1

(...) I could run 10km in 48-50 mins

(...) they said that my heart is not even ready for me to start running, so i should start walking or bike riding (...) 

I am having some difficulties reconciling the above sentences...

- What did the test consist of?

- How was it noted/evaluated?

- How do they explain that you should walk if you can run 10Km sub 50?

Did you know there was going to be a test?

How did you prepare for it?

Maybe it is a good thing that you don't go there?............. :)

Deins Drengers

I am having some difficulties reconciling the above sentences...

- What did the test consist of?

- How was it noted/evaluated?

- How do they explain that you should walk if you can run 10Km sub 50?

Did you know there was going to be a test?

How did you prepare for it?

Maybe it is a good thing that you don't go there?............. :)

They measured my height and weight and made the adjustments for me and put me on a stationary bike for 12 minutes, every 4 minutes the resistance increased. And they put some sensors around my lower chest area. And there was a scale ( Red  yellow green yellow red )  I had to stay in the green position so I wont go too slow or fast. And at the end they said that im 1 from a scale 1-10.

I knew that there was this test but I thought that my cardio was fine. ( Hence the example that I could run 10km in 48-50 min )

And If I don't go to that school where should I go ? 

They said that aerobic fitness is the most basic and important component in health and fitness.

And about the running they said If I run then my heart is being overworked and I must start with walking. ( what the hell)

FREDERIC DUPONT

Hummm, by this description, it resembles an ECG under effort...

I don't know what to think. :huh:

Disregard all that crap. 10k in 50 mins is exactly 8:00 per 1600m (1609m=Mile). This, although not great, is respectable. Not too many people can do this. Heck, not a lot of people can do a 25 min 5k.. :(

Running itself is very specific, you have to run to get better at running. This is not true for other sports such as weightlifting. You can do GST, yet still be very strong in other displines, such as weightlifting. Cycling also seems to be much different than running. I can manage about a 38:00 10k when I am in shape, yet when cycling I never get out of breath (100 mile ride, no pain, just boredom). You also seem to use more of your legs when cycling than your aerobic system (although it is being used). Maybe your legs are the weak link that you haven't identified? Resistance obviously will work the legs more, making them require more oxygen, making you work a bit harder breathing wise.

In my opinion, running is the best exercise to improve your aerobic system. Swimming is a close second, maybe even tied, cycling third. Walking I would not even consider cardio, unless of course you are extremely out of shape. If you get winded by walking 3 miles, you are NOT in very good shape, hate to break it to you. Walking is recovery. I would say continue to run, and maybe challenge the professor/instructor to a running test, to keep everyone's score honest, such as yours. Any more questions on the aerobic system/running in general please ask! I read about this stuff every day.

Chris Aldersley

Sounds like they screwed up your test and are too stupid to realise their recommendations are ridiculous and are blindly following the results.

What uni was it? Were students running the tests?

Jake Lawrance

That university course is absolutely full of garbage is they claim aerobic fitness is the most important, a lot of studies suggest there's little benefit with a decent range of disadvantages (obviously, absolutely no attacking intended on aerobic fitness, I still run a little myself, but even I know it's not going to make you that much healthier). Would you be able to provide us with the universities name?

I hope they don't judge whether you get onto the course by an aerobic test.

Deins Drengers

That university course is absolutely full of garbage is they claim aerobic fitness is the most important, a lot of studies suggest there's little benefit with a decent range of disadvantages (obviously, absolutely no attacking intended on aerobic fitness, I still run a little myself, but even I know it's not going to make you that much healthier). Would you be able to provide us with the universities name?

I hope they don't judge whether you get onto the course by an aerobic test.

Sounds like they screwed up your test and are too stupid to realise their recommendations are ridiculous and are blindly following the results.

What uni was it? Were students running the tests?

No some professors were doing the tests, there are 2 parts of the contest:

1. interview

2. the aerobic test

each are 50% of total.

The Uni isnt in the US its in Europe, Baltic region. So, not much info about it English.

Joshua Naterman

Were you on a Monarch? What was the exact name of the test you were given?

Did they do the test with kpm, and if so what were your levels in each stage? That's kilopounds per minute. It's a retarded unit, but that's what they use. Don't worry about what it means.

Just find out your numerical results and post them.

It sounds a lot like the YMCA bike test with a 2 or 3 lead setup to monitor heart rate.

If you never cycle, you should not expect to do all that well on a bike, the stress is extremely different compared to running. In fact, this is something that has to be accounted for when giving a VO2Max test on a bike.

I suggest that you ignore that bit about only walking, but if you don't do cardio regularly you should really consider starting some, even if it's 10 minutes at a time to avoid boredom. In fact, some recent research suggests that three 10 minute bouts actually helps control blood pressure a lot better than a single 30 minute bout.

Also, post the info in whatever language it's in... I think we can figure out how to use Google Translate. Just let us know what the language is! 

Quick Start Test Smith

Can't believe anyone would seriously use the unit "kilopound." Whoever thought of that one should be taken out and shot.  :D

FREDERIC DUPONT

Can't believe anyone would seriously use the unit "kilopound."

Especially when the craptonknottesla per half hour mBar-1 is so convenient. :)

• Upvote 3

Quick Start Test Smith

Especially when the craptonknottesla per half hour mBar-1 is so convenient. :)

Oh god. I can gratefully say I have never encountered that one... and "most likely" never will.  :D  :P

Deins Drengers

Were you on a Monarch? What was the exact name of the test you were given?

Did they do the test with kpm, and if so what were your levels in each stage? That's kilopounds per minute. It's a retarded unit, but that's what they use. Don't worry about what it means.

Just find out your numerical results and post them.

It sounds a lot like the YMCA bike test with a 2 or 3 lead setup to monitor heart rate.

If you never cycle, you should not expect to do all that well on a bike, the stress is extremely different compared to running. In fact, this is something that has to be accounted for when giving a VO2Max test on a bike.

I suggest that you ignore that bit about only walking, but if you don't do cardio regularly you should really consider starting some, even if it's 10 minutes at a time to avoid boredom. In fact, some recent research suggests that three 10 minute bouts actually helps control blood pressure a lot better than a single 30 minute bout.

Also, post the info in whatever language it's in... I think we can figure out how to use Google Translate. Just let us know what the language is! 

There was not much information there. 

But I will tell you everything I remember :

They took measurements of my height and weight and asked for my age ( 192cm , 95kg, 21 years old)  then I sat on the bike and wore a belt around my heart ( I think it was a heart rate meter)  they said that the resistance is measured by my weight, so a heavier man would have to pedal harder. The whole test was 12 mins. When I started to pedal there was a somekind of measurement and they said that I must pedal fast enough so that the number of the measurement was constantly 70. and next to the measurement where I had to get 70 there was another box which had colors, so If i was on 69,70,71 then the green light would show up If i was higher or lower a bit then the yeallow light would show up, If it was too much or too little then the red light showed up. ( But I had to remain in the green light.)

There was also a Diagram which showed how my pulse ( I think ) increased when I pedaled and every 4 minutes the resistance increased  ( So it was harder to pedal ) On the diagram there were 2 red lines of which I passed the first one and came a bit close to the 2nd one and also the woman that took my test said that she will lower the resistance because apparently it was too much for me ( the lowering happened at the 8th and 10th minute) At the end of the test I was all sweaty, my legs were pumped and tired and they scored me with a 1. 

At that point I did not know what to ask but I asked how - I got a reply that It was kinda expected of me and that I am rather a heavy person and all the heavy powerlifters have scored 1 aswell, but she also said that professional sprinters and rowers etc. mostly score 6-7. Then I asked who can score 10 and she replied that some girls have scored 10 but they are lighter and they can move easier etc. ( all the info they gave me)

They also gave an example of a guy who was playing soccer for 9 years and also scored 1, I asked how can this be - They replied that his training methods were not right and he ( same as me ) has not built an aerobic base.

I dont know how fast I went all I did was is tried to stay on the green light which is 70 of something. 

So this is all the information I have on this. The test was to determine my aerobic capacity.

Deins Drengers

I started to check information at home about how can I determine my aerobic heart rate. And I came across this site.

http://sock-doc.com/sock-doc-training-aerobic-foundation/

There are 5 parts of this article and I think it gives fine information ( Well, this information about aerobic and anaerobic stuff was pretty new to me)

Also, I would like to ask is - How can I find out my heart rate training limits?  there are 5 stages ( 3 are aerobic and 2 are anaerobic) 

So if its true, If my aerobic capacity is really low, then I must know how to train it.

Deins Drengers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/Exercise_zones.png

There are multiple formulas to calculate your max heart rate, the easiest is 220 - age. So for a 21 year old it would be 199 (220 - 21). I would recommend to train within 70-80% of your max heart rate for aerobic training. See the latter link for a picture about those 5 stages you mentioned.

I came across lots of formulas myself. But do you think it is so easy to calculate it with just 220 - age ? 

It seems like its too easy or something. Btw I came across a formula for 180 - age. 

And saw something like this 210 - (0.7 x age) etc. etc.