Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstand form check

gravy

Any advice/things I need to work on would be much appreciated.

One thing I notice is that my pelvis needs be rotated more. Am I protracting enough?

post-2168-0-15123000-1372716082_thumb.pn

And yes, my toes are pointed.

Alessandro Mainente

seems to be good. nice alignment and hollow position.

seems to be good. nice alignment and hollow position.

Thank you.

Does anyone have suggestions? I know it can still be improved.

Alessandro Mainente

probably you can eliminate a little pelvic tilt. but is better wait for more experts opinion.

Christian Sørlie

Yeah, looks nice. Accumulate time and start working on looking at your toes.

Yeah, looks nice. Accumulate time and start working on looking at your toes.

Thanks for the input. Why should I look at my toes?

Christian Sørlie

Not good with the technical reasons, search for hanbalancers posts on this, but the effect is making your line much better.

Mikael Kristiansen

Your alignment is pretty decent. How consistent is your freestanding hs? Build it until you can hit it 10 out of 10 times and build endurance to a minute or two.

Learn to look at your toes for better protraction, yes, but also to develop more control. You need to slowly but steadily increase the complexity by adding coordinations or other elements to your handstands. Once you are stable you need to learn leg variations like straddle and tuck with good form and moving the head. Then when you are able to coordinate movements in your handstand, you can start to build series. For example: legs together-straddle-tuck-straddle-together, etc. If that is mastered, try doing both at the same time.

Learning differnet ways up is also important. A basic example could be: tuck up-straighten-negative hespu to headstand. Another one could be cartwheel to straddle hs-legs together-look at your toes-look a the floor, pike down. These are just some random examples and you can scale this to your level. Most important is that you try to challenge yourself by adding small tasks to what you already can do

My freestanding handstand isn't pretty. I've been focusing on solidifying the shape and gaining awareness controlling pelvic tilt (weakest point).

When I kick to hs, I tend to pike/arch. I think my problem partially originates from my lunge posture.

Mikael Kristiansen

Then your first priority is to clean up your freestanding hs. If you pike/arch, you need to learn to fix it. This my sound blatant, but what I mean is that you need to learn to how to make the correction in your body while doing it. This is a proprioceptive and technical issue since you are physically able to hold the correct position.

One thing which helps to get straight when kicking up is to think that the first leg that goes up is going to be aligned perfectly straight with your torso all the time while lunging forwards and going to hs. That is the leg that brings you all the way to balance and the other just follows and locks in the straight position. Finding the amount of kick to go up well, catching balance efficiently ect. takes time and practice. Same goes for fixing your pike/arch(as long as you can do good on the wall). You need to constantly practice and film your self if you do not have anyone to train with. As the awareness and strength grows you will find it more easily both to go directly to a good position, and to recover it from a messy one

• Upvote 1

One thing which helps to get straight when kicking up is to think that the first leg that goes up is going to be aligned perfectly straight with your torso all the time while lunging forwards and going to hs. That is the leg that brings you all the way to balance and the other just follows and locks in the straight position. Finding the amount of kick to go up well, catching balance efficiently ect. takes time and practice. Same goes for fixing your pike/arch(as long as you can do good on the wall). You need to constantly practice and film your self if you do not have anyone to train with. As the awareness and strength grows you will find it more easily both to go directly to a good position, and to recover it from a messy one

Thank you for the sound advice. I briefly practiced maintaining proper alignment when lunging today. I wish I had read your post prior to training. Maintaining alignment while lunging and improving proprioception in the freestanding handstand will be my focus in the following weeks/months.