Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Head isolations" - a great help to me recently

emos

Lately I've seen a great improvement in my handstand awareness and comfort by doing a couple of sets of this exercise, once or twice a week. It's obviously up to you exactly how and when you do it but other beginners like myself might find it helpful to include somehow.

Typically I might do something like this:

> Kick up, get stable

> Turn head and eyes to the left, look at fixed object - hold for a count

> Turn head and eyes back to the centre, hold

> Turn head and eyes to the right, look at fixed object - hold for a count

> Turn head and eyes back to the centre, hold

> Look through hands (if you normally look at the ground) - hold for a count.

You get the idea - lots of variations are possible. At first I would fall over as soon as I looked to the side, but now I can move my head, and eyes (separately or with my head) pretty much anywhere and stay up - it's really made my "normal" handstand seem 10x easier. Also, it's a good way to learn how to get your head straight between your arms - something that also would immediately end a handstand if I attempted it.

If you're a beginner and can't already do this then give it a shot, I bet it will help tremendously. Make sure you do come back to the centre before you end the handstand, to get into that good habit.

• Upvote 1

yuri marmerstein

Isolating and moving one part of the body at a time while holding balance is a great drill for body awareness, though a bit on the advanced side. 

This can include head, shoulders, thoracic spine, lumbar spine, hips, knees, feet, etc.  If you are even more daring you can move more than one of these parts at the same time