Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First ever standing DOUBLE back flip

The rarity of this kind of ignorance/rudeness is the reason why this forum is generally regarded as friendly and civil. Get your facts straight, grow up, and show some respect - because it definitely is due.

Thanks for the headsup, buddy. I believe that I had a legitimate point though, that Coach trashing the competition seems a little childish. When the founder of a forum is speaking in a disrespectful tone, I find that it has a bigger effect on the overall tone of the forum than one rogue element doing so. That was why I felt that it was prudent to voice my opinion. Remember: agreement on all topics is not necessary, civility in disagreement is. :D

Jon Douglas

Thanks for the headsup, buddy. I believe that I had a legitimate point though, that Coach trashing the competition seems a little childish. When the founder of a forum is speaking in a disrespectful tone, I find that it has a bigger effect on the overall tone of the forum than one rogue element doing so. That was why I felt that it was prudent to voice my opinion. Remember: agreement on all topics is not necessary, civility in disagreement is. :D

I didn't see any trashing. Coach said unprofessional behaviour by his standards. That might be slightly different to what I think is unprofessional behaviour but as he's said from day one-- his house, his rules. Wipe your feet on entry.

I also don't have a problem with someone sticking to their own path and standards. Back in the day I used to check Dragondoor near-daily too, but their subsequent unprofessional behaviour (let's just leave it at that) has finished our customer-provider relationship AFAIK.

I can only speak for myself of course, but I don't think I'm alone in those opinions.

• Upvote 1

George Launchbury

Thanks for the headsup, buddy. I believe that I had a legitimate point though, that Coach trashing the competition seems a little childish. When the founder of a forum is speaking in a disrespectful tone, I find that it has a bigger effect on the overall tone of the forum than one rogue element doing so.

I would place you in the vast minority in your opinion of Coach's tone/intent here. I certainly didn't get the impression the statement was anything out of the ordinary, and I've been here a long time. This is especially strange given the online persona of the person you're so vigorously defending.

Remember: agreement on all topics is not necessary, civility in disagreement is. :D

The irony.

• Upvote 1

Coach Sommer

Thanks for the headsup, buddy. I believe that I had a legitimate point though, that Coach trashing the competition seems a little childish. When the founder of a forum is speaking in a disrespectful tone, I find that it has a bigger effect on the overall tone of the forum than one rogue element doing so. That was why I felt that it was prudent to voice my opinion. Remember: agreement on all topics is not necessary, civility in disagreement is. 

- Hardly trashing the competition, merely stating the facts; regarding which you seem to be seriously misinformed.  He was my student for a number of years.  He is no longer.  When a student behaves inappropriately, there are consequences.

- Also your tongue-in-cheek reference to "civility in disagreement" is not at all accurate.  The only one behaving in an uncivil manner in this discussion is you.  If you feel that this is the manner of conversation you prefer, then please take your conversation elsewhere.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...
Randeep Walia

Back on topic:

To show my own ignorance - has a double backflip been done on a non-spring floor?

I have a distinct memory from childhood of watching my capoeira master do one. He was... an incredible physical specimen, but I'm not sure if I actually saw what I think, or whether it was just that I couldn't follow what he was doing at 11 years old.

It's too bad youtube didn't exist back then, this guy could fly.

Who was your mestre, if you don't mind my asking?

Speaking of Capoeira... I didn't want to jump into the middle of this Ido-Sommers battle, but I have to say: I remember reading Ido's blog post of when he met Coach Sommers in person and the praise and respect that both seemed to have for each other was remarkable. I don't know what happened to dissolve this relationship, but it's sad because you see this sort of thing in Capoeira all the time. Pride, ego, and all the various daughters of hubris coming to clash over what usually amounts to a small disagreement.

But nonetheless, partnerships dissolved as a result. I have great respect for both parties and am sad to hear that they parted ways.

Randeep Walia

Also, in defense of the double standing backflip posted... I want to point out that he OVER-ROTATED IT! I've also subsequently watched video's of this guy's Cheer performances and he is truly outstanding.

• 4 years later...

Thank for who ever posted this of me and I am happy that I did and yes I know people have done it before but I have accomplished this in a floor with no mat to save me and no pit to go in I worked hard to finally be the person to do this 

IMG_7710.GIF

• Like 2