Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Back Lever Biceps Tendon

Jeff Walker

Alessandro Mainente

mmm i've experienced the same thing as Joshua N. said. this forced me to stay away from pommle horse for 6 months! very stupid idea..i can understand that the pain, as a doms, is good but everything concernet with limitation in joints movement is not so good. when i climb a rope, fortunately i have a lady hands, i feel a very good pain...when i stretch the pain becomes a very good sensation for my internal rotators. one pain needs you to rest, the other not!

Colin Macdonald

The biggest problem with "no pain, no gain" is that it's almost correct.

I think you're somewhat correct. A "no pain, no gain" attitude is actually quite effective for building flashy muscle, it's just not sustainable in the long term. The guy I mentioned previously had great results in a short time, it just didn't last that long.

But I think it's a mistake to equate pain with exertion and effort. While pushing yourself hard is somewhat difficult, it's not really pain like from an injury. You can push yourself hard without ever feeling actual pain. You could of course pick apart this discussion to tiny details on what exactly is pain. And there are there are exceptions to every rule. If you train for the Olympics for 10 years, it doesn't matter what kind of pain or injury you have, you're not going to give up your shot. In that case it's definitely time to push through the pain. 

I think raw exertion is an over valued asset simply because it's not as rare as people seem to think it is. In my experience, anyone who's serious about fitness loves to push hard, it makes men feel like "real men". In fact, what I'm noticing as a common experience among people who are transitioning into the Foundation series (myself included) is an over abundance of grit and determination to work hard, but a lack of discipline and patience to work smart. So even by the definition you provide, I'm not sure it's the correct philosophy to promote.

That was me a few years ago!  :P  :facepalm:

That's where I was headed too, not that long ago. Luckily I'm going in the right direction now.  :)

Joshua Naterman

You don't have to always be doing as much as you can possibly stand in order to make progress.

All you need to do is more than last time. That can be as simple as slightly better form on a single rep out of all the reps you do (compared to the last workout).

• Upvote 2

Jon Douglas

In fact, what I'm noticing as a common experience among people who are transitioning into the Foundation series (myself included) is an over abundance of grit and determination to work hard, but a lack of discipline and patience to work smart.

Yep. That. That there.

• Upvote 1

Mikkel Ravn

Thursday I was hanging out with my son and a couple of his friends on a playground doing a few korean dips, pullovers, back levers just for fun, on what was supposed to be a rest day. The next day I could feel that the right elbow was a bit overworked, even though there was no pain, it just felt a bit stiff in the fully extended position. Anyway, I did the sensible thing and canceled Friday's upper body F1, just to make sure the discomfort wouldn't develop into an injury. The funny thing is, even though this is the first wod I've missed since beginning F1 4-5 months ago, it really felt terrible to cancel that workout. Deviating from the plan introduces all sorts of FUD, even though I knew I'd be back on track today Saturday. I've essentially just had a four day week instead of the usual five days, but I *really* had to convince myself that working through the discomfort would be a bad idea. Strange how the body and mind can totally crave the workouts - it's a bit scary/fascinating that training can be that addictive.

Samuli Jyrkinen

When people start it usually takes mental strength to stick with workouts and do them, but after a while when it becomes a lifestyle/habit, it is actually harder not to workout  ;) . It requires real mental strength to step back when there is a risk of injury.

• Upvote 1