Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tricking Question

Timothy Aiken

Timothy Aiken

I know this is a gymnastics forum, but I feel as though the gymnastic perspective is beneficial to all aspects of tumbling, tricking or not. So here goes! 

What would be a proper progression for a webster switch to webster? 

The combo is at 2:30 in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3WZxVf8OMg

I know this question is unorthodox, but I am only looking for suggestions. I have a very solid standing webster (one footed frontflip), but the pulling through for the switch throws me off. Any advice on this move? Should I learn front aerials before moving on with webster progression?

Any and all advice, tips, and suggestions are appreciated!

Joshua Slocum

If I were trying to learn this skill, I'd plan on doing something like this:

- Webster sets for height

- Webster to dive roll (e.g. half webster)

- Webster

- Webster switch to webster set for height

- Webster switch to webster-dive-roll

- Webster switch webster

Oldrich Polreich

Learning front handspring switch helped me a lot with webster switch. Also, drilling standing webster from pretty much everything helps a lot. AlexD got a great tutorial for this:) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2Gz3EY0lLg . Play with it, try this "hop setup", or you can do hook kick - hop - webster, switch FHS to webster, "moonwalk" webster (webster while going backwards). Etc etc.

Point is to make your standing webster a piece of cake. Than, you will just learn webster switch, land on one leg and you are in familiar position.

• 2 weeks later...
Timothy Aiken

I'm going to begin FHS switch work today. My webster, I have come to acknowledge, is not as good as it needs to be to begin training this move. I can do it very cleanly on a gymnastics floor, however on grass it looks about like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PixeNKkrytg

Once I can get switch on grass, I will begin to seriously train this move. 

• 8 months later...
Timothy Aiken

I've been stuck on these forever. Today I got some great advice to bend my jumping leg and keep the switching leg straight. That allows my jumping leg to be extended in front of my swing leg and therefore switching. 

A problem I'm having with standing is that I sometimes don't switch, rather I just overrotate and land on my front foot. 

Oh well, progress is progress. Gonna implement Joshua's progressions on Saturday. Will post video when I achieve this :) 

Timothy Aiken

I DID IT. My last three gym sessions I have been drilling webster switches and hypers (not switching, just over rotating so my first foot doesn't hit.) I've got swing through on the trampoline now, and standing switches and hypers on the floor. I'm finding a lot of trouble pulling through into that second flip. I feel like I should switch more dramatically so my swing for the second flip starts at waist height rather than shin/knee height. 

What I did to get the switch was drill front tuck step outs on the trampoline, stepping out in the way I would end up with a switch. Funny thing is, I think this was a big deal, since I was not very comfortable with it. Did that, then got to landing regular front tucks on my right foot (jumping foot for this particular flip) and letting my left foot carry through like I would for a swing but no flip. Then I just worked on the webster switch itself. I set it up on the trampoline with a back drop to one foot and initiate the swing there. 

Now I'm building consistency with these. I somersault out of the switch now. I'll work to FHS and then touchdown webster (tap the ground for some extra pop and comfort). Then I'll go for it. Controlling this swing is a nasty beast, a great lesson in air sense and body control. My hammies are dying over here.

For those who have no idea what a webster is or a webster switch is....

Webster switch: 

My non jumping leg stays in line though.

Webster swing throughs: 

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
Timothy Aiken

WEEEEEE I DID IT.

This was my second time landing it, got work to do, but I've been locking it down the past few sessions.

I honestly completely skipped the FHS and touchdown webster stuff, we just turned the music up loud and I went for it.