Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstand One question.

Tavis G

Does handstand one include dynamic excersizes like HSPU or 90 degree pushups AFTER you master the handstand? How long does the program last and will it be like foundation and have more parts to the series?

Jon Douglas

Does handstand one include dynamic excersizes like HSPU or 90 degree pushups AFTER you master the handstand? How long does the program last and will it be like foundation and have more parts to the series?

The situation as we know it;

- Handstand one is building a perfect handstand. Flexibility, alignment, balance, strength, activation.

- Dynamic exercises are in the Foundation series, leading up to a 90 degree pushup (hollowback press HS). Nothing confirmed, but there are some indications that handstand pushups may be in F3.

- It has been very broadly hinted that Handstand Two will include press work. Even more vague are older mentions of single bar handstand work and of course ring handstands playing a significant role in Coach's athlete prep. Whether there will be 4 H courses... who knows? I could certainly see three with the sort of density indicated by H1.

- It could potentially last a significant amount of time. In the handstand prep and specific work there are 26 element/integrated mobility pairs, with 12-week programming supplied for each of them-- I've only had to apply the full cycle once so far, but this certainly won't be the last time.

- The mobility exercises start awkward, move onto challenging, and in the near future I expect to graduate to brutal.

• Upvote 2

Have you felt your performance increase and mobility and shoulder health skyrocket from this course? And do you feel like your shoulders are getting stronger and bigger?

Joshua Slocum

Doing the H1 mobility exercises has vastly improved my shoulder mobility. I used to have a banana-stand; now I have an actual handstand. My shoulders haven't gotten much bigger, but they started out pretty big to begin with. 

• Upvote 1

Jean-Rene Losier

Have you felt your performance increase and mobility and shoulder health skyrocket from this course? And do you feel like your shoulders are getting stronger and bigger?

Not only your shoulders but your forearms will get strong and defined as hell! I just look in the mirror and I'm like: "So many lines!"

Jon Douglas

Mobility and shoulder health, no question. They go in all directions now, and I can use my upper back so much more and so much more intelligently.

Stronger and bigger? Yes and no. They have definitely gotten wider and more defined, but I wouldn't say it's hugely dramatic in my case; the work is so good at co-ordinating your whole body (toes-fingers) to work together that all sorts of weak links are coming out in the wash. Traps though; traps are growing. Yeah, they are.

Charm, trap size is upper trap size is something i need. Do you feel like meatballs are starting to build, or just like steaks on your shoulders? I feel i NEED this program.

Jon Douglas

Charm, trap size is upper trap size is something i need. Do you feel like meatballs are starting to build, or just like steaks on your shoulders? I feel i NEED this program.

Hmmm. You know Roman arches and how they have a keystone in the middle? Wedge-shaped? For a solid three months that's what it felt like I had between my neck and each shoulder. Heavy and dense, but getting much more mobile too.

Not going to lie, H1+F is the best thing to happen to my shoulders and punching.power/ body structure since my first kiddy kung fu lesson

EDIT;

Obviously I mean the best *single* thing. This last comment glosses over years of classes, training, practical application and experience.

• Upvote 1

Haha. Damn dude, that is actually impressive! How do you feel about your wrists? More moble, flexible, stronger forearms? And does H1 include wrist strengthening excersizes and things of the like? I think i read somewhere it does but I'm not sure. I'm already commited to buying it now thanks to you and the others!

Jon Douglas

Haha. Damn dude, that is actually impressive! How do you feel about your wrists? More moble, flexible, stronger forearms? And does H1 include wrist strengthening excersizes and things of the like? I think i read somewhere it does but I'm not sure. I'm already commited to buying it now thanks to you and the others!

Good for you, it's a great investment in yourself :)

And yeah, wrist stretches and conditioning are in there too. They're doing very well for me; years of hitting the bags left a few clicks and pops in my wrists. All gone now, and I don't have any wrist issues training longer supports or HS. I'm not quite halfway through the course and the benefits are *wide*. A bit subtler than Foundation work maybe, but definitely there and consistent.

Thank you, my friend. I can't wait to get steel shoulders, invincible wrists and steaks on my neck!

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

Thank you, my friend. I can't wait to get steel shoulders, invincible wrists and steaks on my neck!

It's going to take a long time. Be patient :)

• Upvote 1

Jon Douglas

It's going to take a long time. Be patient :)

On the plus side, if you start now, it'll take one day less than if you started tomorrow! :)

An old kung fu saying is that any one day's progress is adding a sheet of paper to a pile. It takes time to stack them as high as a house. To extend that a little, even if you can't see day to day progress, the nett effect is nothing short of amazing-- just as long as you keep right on stacking. There's no doubt that Coach has producing strong and mobile athletes down to a system, so the goal is pretty much dangling in front of you. Just keep the faith, do the work, and before you know it you'll be seeing the results. Taking exactly as long as it requires is a lot easier to swallow when you know that, as long as you do, the end result is pretty much inevitable.

Enough from me, get back to training! A perfect handstand is not going to learn itself! :P

• Upvote 1

Alexander Svensson

Taking exactly as long as it requires is a lot easier to swallow when you know that, as long as you do, the end result is pretty much inevitable.

This I agree with it. I have no problem with repeating the same week over and over again in both H1 and F1 since I know that the end result is already in front of me and I will get there eventually.

Kevin Conley

I already have a decent handstand...but now, I think I will be buying H1. Thanks.

When i get employed at Pizza Hut i will definitely be buying this course!