Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do hollowback press build the chest?

Shia

title basically!

Once I am able to do an elevated hollowback press on bars, would this be sufficient to build my chest, combined with HSPU and planche practise?

Keilani Gutierrez

of course! if the proper load, deload, nutrition, sleep and sacrifice is put into doing your work, you will most definitely have a chest that is built for performing Hollow back presses. :)

Mikkel Ravn

You will never grow a pair of true, saggy BB chesticles on GST. You will in time however resemble a more classic physical aesthetic. You decide whether or not that's desirable to you.

It will hit the upper pecs, but not the lower pecs though. Same thing with planche unless used with a wide grip or maltese.

Joshua Naterman

It will hit the upper pecs, but not the lower pecs though. Same thing with planche unless used with a wide grip or maltese.

You're not thinking about rings.

Ring planche, hollowback press, you name it press (besides handstand presses I suppose) blasts your pecs, period, because they are always working to keep your hands at the appropriate width.

You will never grow a pair of true, saggy BB chesticles on GST. You will in time however resemble a more classic physical aesthetic. You decide whether or not that's desirable to you.

Well, you probably won't look like Scooby, but you'll have a pretty impressive chest if you follow the Foundation series.

Try to remember that GST is more than Foundation. The Foundation series is designed to get our bodies to the point where that other stuff comes to us naturally, and THAT is where some really dramatic transformations happen.

Once again, Daniel Burnham is a great example of this. I don't mean to sound rude, but he was pretty unimpressive in both strength and physical appearance two years ago, and even when I first met him around 16 months ago (is that right?) he was very average. Not muscular, not super ripped. He wasn't a slob, and he wasn't a completely weak dude, but not impressive.

Let me tell you something: He's got veins on his serratus now. On his chest. He is muscular as $!@*(. His body is looking as good as Allan Bower's, and he's getting better all the time. I am talking about butt cheeks on his lats.I am totally serious, it's ridiculous. Maybe I sound stupid, but he's motivated the hell out of me. His path looks more or less like this:

1) he basically finished F2 about 10 months ago. At this point, his body was ready to start learning gymnastic skills.

2) He started learning the basics last August, I think. He's now most of the way through F4 on a lot of things, at least as far as what was released in the Seminars when he went, and he has a few skills on most apparati. Enough for a really low level routine.

Rest assured that if you take the time to build a decent Foundation that good things will come, with great things coming soon after. Spend your time now, perfecting the basics, and you will be ready for the next steps when they are released. That is when the REAL fun begins :)

• Upvote 1

Daniel Burnham

Kind words from Josh  :) .  But yea if you follow a path to hollow back press as laid out in the foundation series then you will get plenty of work on your chest.  Now the actual building will come from your nutrition.  The hollow body press definitely isn't limited to chest though.  It works triceps and back and shoulders as well as the core.

• Upvote 1

Joshua Naterman

Kind words from Josh  :) .  But yea if you follow a path to hollow back press as laid out in the foundation series then you will get plenty of work on your chest.  Now the actual building will come from your nutrition.  The hollow body press definitely isn't limited to chest though.  It works triceps and back and shoulders as well as the core.

I hate to sound like a fanboy, but you've seriously done excellent work. It's really impressive to see how you have developed from completely unremarkable to seriously impressive with just the GB work and the last 10 months or so of apparatus work.

The nutrition is definitely a key ingredient as well.

You're not thinking about rings.

Ring planche, hollowback press, you name it press (besides handstand presses I suppose) blasts your pecs, period, because they are always working to keep your hands at the appropriate width.

I forgot about rings variations. The lower pecs get worked in rings planche and HBP too right? I thought lower pecs doesn't involve shoulder flexion as in planche and HBP.

Joshua Slocum

HBP alone won't build pecs. HBP is just one stop in a very long chain of progressions. Following those progressions to and beyond HBP will build pecs.

• Upvote 1

FREDERIC DUPONT

title basically!

Once I am able to do an elevated hollowback press on bars, would this be sufficient to build my chest, combined with HSPU and planche practise?

LOL... double D here you come! :D

• Upvote 1

Jon Douglas

I can definitely say that F2 HBP work is building up ny chest substantially. I can't stand the bench press bodybuilder-esque chest look, but id be lying if I didn't say... well, yeah, this is kind of cool :-)

Its really interesting reading about the progress and paths of people ahead of me. I wonder what form my own particular combination of training will produce long term.

• Upvote 1

How is it that Daniel Burnham is almost halfway through the 4th volume of the foundation series if only 10 months he finished F2.

I taught every Foundation series (1 - 4) took approximately 18 months to complete.

Joshua Naterman

How is it that Daniel Burnham is almost halfway through the 4th volume of the foundation series if only 10 months he finished F2.

I taught every Foundation series (1 - 4) took approximately 18 months to complete.

You might be surprised at how quickly you move through certain parts of the Foundation work later on if you actually spend your time mastering the first half correctly.

F1, in many ways, might take a lot of people the most time to master out of all the Foundation courses.

Daniel has been extremely devoted to his training, and he's basically followed my nutrition exactly. It makes a big difference. Being able to work on apparatus skills makes a big difference too, once your body is ready for them, and Daniel does both now. There are certain things in the officially released versions that were either not a part of the beta testing period or were released after my last seminar and simply not recorded by Daniel, and so there are still a few gaps to go back and fill in on the integrated mobility stuff, but that's mostly just in straddle planche.

I know that many people, including Coach, have downplayed the importance of what I believe as far as nutrition goes, but the results speak for themselves. The hardest part, by far, is getting enough food when you train the way Daniel (and Coach's athletes) trains, but if you can pull that off in the manner I will be teaching you WILL see impressive results.

Keilani Gutierrez

You might be surprised at how quickly you move through certain parts of the Foundation work later on if you actually spend your time mastering the first half correctly.

F1, in many ways, might take a lot of people the most time to master out of all the Foundation courses.

Daniel has been extremely devoted to his training, and he's basically followed my nutrition exactly. It makes a big difference. Being able to work on apparatus skills makes a big difference too, once your body is ready for them, and Daniel does both now. There are certain things in the officially released versions that were either not a part of the beta testing period or were released after my last seminar and simply not recorded by Daniel, and so there are still a few gaps to go back and fill in on the integrated mobility stuff, but that's mostly just in straddle planche.

I know that many people, including Coach, have downplayed the importance of what I believe as far as nutrition goes, but the results speak for themselves. The hardest part, by far, is getting enough food when you train the way Daniel (and Coach's athletes) trains, but if you can pull that off in the manner I will be teaching you WILL see impressive results.

Consider me signed up and willing to put in the effort to enter that stage of development.

ever since i reverted back to eating carbs and cutting down on the processed foods, i feel like a completely new person. i can feel the energy around me in such a different way and recover from my workouts in such a fashion that I can't help but be thrilled that my past nutritional knowledge was updated to form a way of simplistic thinking instead of seeing people eating meat, eating certain veggies or fruits and not be disgusted or thinking they were lost in ignorance.

i've gone back to my clients and stated that the way I thought before was very narrow and since then their health has improved through the service I give them with magnetic resonance.

i'm extremely looking forward to learning more from you and the others who've experienced more radical results than I so I can reitorate this level of health which i've only begun to enjoy.

it's a big responsibility to know what one can do if they promote things based on tangible results and not flashy marketing and slogans.

• Upvote 2

Joshua Naterman

There are people who have access to F4? There are GB Athletes? What have I missed?

The seminars, I think :)

Go for it.

But bare in mind, girls like chesticles. Some of this depends on your body type and size. 

jordan2.jpg

No chest at all. Van Gelder, totally yoga chest right?

That being said, All-arounders tend to be less Chestacular.

Coach Sommer

... His body is looking as good as Allan Bower's, and he's getting better all the time ...

Nonsense.   :icon_rolleyes:

Daniel has made great strides, but he is not even remotely close to matching Allan's development yet.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jon Douglas

Nonsense.   :icon_rolleyes:

Daniel has made great strides, but he is not even remotely close to matching Allan's development yet.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Have to say Allan did not look at all as I expected in the Foundation courses. He's clearly made of <Ah-nold> leekwad metuhl </Ah-nold>, but he is rangy as all get-out.

Daniel Burnham

Nonsense. :icon_rolleyes:

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ha. I must agree with you coach.

Mikkel Ravn

Go for it.

But bare in mind, girls like chesticles. Some of this depends on your body type and size. 

jordan2.jpg

No chest at all. Van Gelder, totally yoga chest right?

That being said, All-arounders tend to be less Chestacular.

I'm pretty sure Van Gelder can do a hollowback press, but he may not be *that* typical of your average enthusiast :P

Deins Drengers

This thread made me motivated even more !

It makes me feel like the GB members that attend to seminars are like a family that supports each other. 

Good stuff !

Jon Douglas

the GB members that attend to seminars are like a family that supports each other. 

T_____________T

Keilani Gutierrez

Come to a seminar! They're awesome!

this Sept or the following May is in my sights.