Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Triceps Tendon Rehab/Prehab

Kutay Serova

Kutay Serova

There are a lot of topics on biceps tendon rehab/prehab but the triceps stuff are more scattered. I am confused so could anybody point me in the right direction? It would help everybody if we could sum up all those information in one topic.

Also, spefically about what happens to me: It's a mild pain on the back of the elbow, towards the inside(between the arm and the ribcage). It only hurts when I am doing a wall handstand (I don't do any extreme stuff, just F1-PE1s). Is it a Tennis Elbow? Because its in the inside part of the back elbow.

Keilani Gutierrez

There are a lot of topics on biceps tendon rehab/prehab but the triceps stuff are more scattered. I am confused so could anybody point me in the right direction? It would help everybody if we could sum up all those information in one topic.

Also, spefically about what happens to me: It's a mild pain on the back of the elbow, towards the inside(between the arm and the ribcage). It only hurts when I am doing a wall handstand (I don't do any extreme stuff, just F1-PE1s). Is it a Tennis Elbow? Because its in the inside part of the back elbow.

I had this following me around for a while and doing the wrist novel movements, doing HBP/PE2>iM with very low weight(6lbs) and taking the straight arm work very very gradually. nothing too much, too soon.

I remember Joshua Naterman making a comment about grabbing the floor whilst doing Straight Arm work, I've noticed that the discomfort I felt whilst extended with locked out elbows has gone away.

for me, I found that it was a combination of doing too much too soon and also learning how to really track a consistent path while doing straight arm or bent arm work. 

aside from that, I have nothing that i can recommend. 

from what I also have heard(don't know if it's true, i've never discussed it here) is that there could potentially be a root causing this and it could possibly be a muscle imbalance between your tricep/bicep. 

I've noticed that as my arms have gotten stronger doing the beginning PE's, but I'm at different weeks for certain PE's. as those weeks have gotten closer and closer to mastery, I've experienced a much less dramatic "pop" while doing L-sit work(when I play around in it every once in a while) and when I don't warm up my arms before trying to push my hip inline with my arms. 

I don't know if it's because of this but I do know that I have more pulling power in my bicep whilst doing pullups and rows, where i don't have as much pressing power in pushups and dips.

I hope you found my experience helpful :) (hopefully someone can help me confirm or debunk this experience i've been observing)

Sean Whitley

A quick google search gives a little bit of information. http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/9588650/triceps-tendonitis-triceps-tendinitis-physioad.htm and http://www.discussbodybuilding.com/Message/63839-Rehabilitation-Tricep-Tendontis/

Figure 3 in the first link seems to be the exact motion that causes my elbow to feel funny inside, so I think I may have accidently worked out what my problem is (thanks anyway for the advice on my 'temporary elbow discomfort' thread KeilaniG. I tried the voodoo floss thing with a theraband. It seems to help, but I think its only a temporary fix

I found this tip yesterday from the guy that inspired me to start handstands and gymnastics, Jim Bathurst. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151700717153219&set=a.250458773218.181562.99549583218&type=1

The long head of the tricep attaching to the scapula could explain me and Mithrandir having elbow problems specifically from handstands, and the lacrosse ball tip is easy to do while sitting at a computer. The mobilityWOD guy (Kelly Starret) has a guide somewhere about massaging the tricep and elbow using a bar (as well as voodoo band flossing) which also looks quite useful

Keilani Gutierrez

A quick google search gives a little bit of information. http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/9588650/triceps-tendonitis-triceps-tendinitis-physioad.htm and http://www.discussbodybuilding.com/Message/63839-Rehabilitation-Tricep-Tendontis/

Figure 3 in the first link seems to be the exact motion that causes my elbow to feel funny inside, so I think I may have accidently worked out what my problem is (thanks anyway for the advice on my 'temporary elbow discomfort' thread KeilaniG. I tried the voodoo floss thing with a theraband. It seems to help, but I think its only a temporary fix

I found this tip yesterday from the guy that inspired me to start handstands and gymnastics, Jim Bathurst. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151700717153219&set=a.250458773218.181562.99549583218&type=1

The long head of the tricep attaching to the scapula could explain me and Mithrandir having elbow problems specifically from handstands, and the lacrosse ball tip is easy to do while sitting at a computer. The mobilityWOD guy (Kelly Starret) has a guide somewhere about massaging the tricep and elbow using a bar (as well as voodoo band flossing) which also looks quite useful

it is temporary :) it's just too loosen you up. 

if there is something that perfect form has brought about is knowing the times when I lower towards the ground faster on one side during pressing days or pull harder on one side than the other on pulling days. thing is, the side that is going faster is the strongest side of my body. perfect form has accentuated muscle imbalances for me and the time that I have invested in being as uniform as i can be(this cannot be emphasized enough, in my case) has produced fruitful in leveling out the imbalance. both my pec's have started reaching same size, as have my Lats. my forearms, triceps, biceps still have some catch up room, but in the time that my imbalances have reached a point where i'm being uniform in execution(which is my only real concern to pass mastery, the hypertrophy has been coming along when focusing on perfect form) where my elbow discomfort or "brake" from reaching elbow locked out has all but discontinued from happening. 

did you try out the thing I pointed out by focusing on forearm and upper arm trajectory while grasping the ground doing pressing movements? the more consistent i make this effort, the less I have experienced the "brake" in my elbow, which i feel on the inside, rear portion of my elbow on my right arm.

Sean Whitley

I'm not quite sure what you mean. When I do pushups and such, I try to keep good form with keeping the elbows in (is this what you mean by arm trajectory?). As for grasping the floor, don't you do this naturally in a handstand anyway as its how you save your handstand from overbalance?

Keilani Gutierrez

I'm not quite sure what you mean. When I do pushups and such, I try to keep good form with keeping the elbows in (is this what you mean by arm trajectory?). As for grasping the floor, don't you do this naturally in a handstand anyway as its how you save your handstand from overbalance?

yes, that is what i mean by arm trajectory, keep the fold of the elbow looking always forward. 

I have only recently learned how to use the heel of my hand and fingers to press against the ground whilst in a wall assisted handstand. what i am refering to though is while in plank/planche lean/pushup/scapular pushup position. I feel more power radiating throughout my arm, so it gets less fatigued and has gotten noticeably stronger. thus my tricep popping has been reduced and the "brake" feeling i keep getting at the tricep tendon insertion to my elbow has long since occured.

Kutay Serova

Wow the Ball Massage looks like a good idea. I'll actively try gripping the floor next time and see how that feels. Thanks for all the replies. Going gradually is the real challenge...

Keilani Gutierrez

Wow the Ball Massage looks like a good idea. I'll actively try gripping the floor next time and see how that feels. Thanks for all the replies. Going gradually is the real challenge...

and where the results lie :)