Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Substitute for Mushroom

Timothy Aiken

Timothy Aiken

I am looking to learn flares and windmills. I want to do each with great form, and for flares that means training them as gymnasts do. So in order to learn circles which come before flares in the order of progression, what could I use to substitute the mushroom? I can only get to a gym once a week and to get this move I know I need to train much more than once a week. 

Also, will the foundation training cover the conditioning necessary for flare and circle training? I still plan on doing certain exercises that could be classified as conditioning but also reinforce the motion and muscle memory, but are any entirely conditioning exercises necessary? My level of strength can be ascertained from my F1 progress in my signature.

Any and all advice is appreciated! 

Sean Whitley

I made a mushroom for next to nothing. I went around a few electrical suppliers in an industrial estate and got a wooden cable spool for free. Then went to a carpet shop and got a load of carpet underlay foam offcuts for free. The only parts of my mushroom I had to buy was the fake leather covering, some spray on glue and staples

When you are in the gym try and get someone to give even just 5 minutes of constant attention while using a mushroom. I spent months trying to learn it myself in an a adult gym session with no real coaching and couldnt get the motion. One day a kid came over to me and spent just 5 minutes of his time pointing out my flaws and my first (then multiple) circle came within a few minutes

Eddie Stelling

I gotta funny story about making a mushroom. Last year I asked my mom to get me a spool, from her friend that worked at the power company, for my birthday. I gave her the size I wanted and a picture. She called and said go pick it up they have one ready for you..... I show up and they had a 5ft. diameter spool suspended with a fork lift!!!!!!! They went into the effort to empty it for me and have it ready so I felt horrible and took it anyway, hahahaha! I tried to cut it and make it into something that didn't way 200-300 lbs but that was a no go, so I am glad you got the right size spool!

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
Sailor Venus

Get youself a bucket and suspend it from the ceiling. Stick your feet in it and start spinning baby! Buckets will help you loads I promise you.

Regarding mushrooms, you can grow your own. Be sure they're big enough to support your weight. Try not to eat them or you'll hallucinate or suffer from poisoning. :D

• Upvote 2