Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Are rings a complete upper body strength workout?

JustIn Flo

Hey Coach and gymnastic training dudes,

I am training with the rings right now and I do Coach Sommer's ring series 3.
MU + L-Sit + Forward roll + L-Sit + Shoulder Stand + Back Lever + Front Lever

when I train on the rings I feel like there is a lot of pulling going on. Without doing crazy ass moves like a maltese, and by going with the workout I am doing above, am I training the upper body completely or should I be supplementing with pushing work?

Thank you

Justin

Yes, they are.

Insert more skills in support. Forward roll MU, dips, multiple reps of Press to shoulderstand or HS.

Daniel Burnham

What hasn't been mentioned is that the ring series are meant to be used as a part of a larger training routine.  They are only a small part of a holistic program and while very good routines for working on basic ring strength should not be your focus.

This may sound like a broken record but the Foundation series covers an entire training plan including pulling and pushing and leads to a well rounded strength program.

• Upvote 2

Alessandro Mainente

if you focus on the rings , you should insert some stretching/active work of the shoulders to avoid benchpress syndrome as the pushing movement in the set increase...

David  Hurwitz

The L-sits are both pushing elements.  The MU and forward roll MU each contain a pull and a push.  The SS (and especially its decent to support) are pushing as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

If your concern is pull/push ratio, then dips, pushups, supports, L and Straddle L, flyes and handstands will take care of it.

The Foundation series covers bent and straight arm pulling and pushing, with one exercise representing each field.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for your replies guys....

I was meaning more for a maintenance workout. (While I focus on other things other than strength training)

Is it balanced?

I have built up basic strength to a decent level. Pseudo planche push ups , tuck planches, HSPU's, decent handstand, l -sits, I even achieved a OAPU, yewrkies(or whatever they are called) back levers front levers etc...... So I am well rounded. I just wanted to do BAS and SSA strength in a quick and efficient workout, while I do other things.

Does it do the trick or should I add some pulling in there?

Alessandro Mainente

The best solution to gain results with a SAS and BAS approach is have a solid foundations. When you have them you can manage the weekly training to obtain the best benefits from this type of schedule. This is why WOD were suspended.