Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gaining Huge Muscle Mass And Strength From Rings

iyankov_96

Jon Douglas

What would make you think it's an imbalance rather than just fatigue from working at a high % of your max?

• Upvote 2

Joshua Naterman

Guys, I need your help. When I usually do weighted pull ups I can do about 1-2 reps almost full range of motion with 15kg (my 5-6 rep max). But after that my head hoes only halfway over the bar and eventually when I get to set 2 or 3 when I am on my last reps I can't go higher than the 90 degrees I make with my elbows when pulling. Is this normal ? Or is it a sign of disbalance and how can I correct this ?

Thanks !!!

You can only handle 0 good reps, since you're doing "almost full range of motion" with that weight. Start doing full ROM, and never accept anything less than that. If you can't get full ROM with that weight, you are not strong enough to do pull ups with that weight.

If you accept crappy work, you should expect crappy results.

For that reason, I will recommend Foundation to you... just like everyone else here is going to do. There are very clear standards for what a correct repetition is, so you are never on your own. The sooner you get started with correct training, the sooner you will see the results you are looking for.

Lars Nävert

Hello Everyone,

I am new to GymnasticBodies.com and would like some help in making my goals a reality.

Firstly, let me say a few words about myself: I am 17, 171sm tall, 70kg. I have been training bodyweight exercises for two years (the first year and a half mostly without any progress because of lack of information).

Currently, my goal is to build a REALLY big muscular body with bodyweight training while at the same time having huge relevant strength to accompany it. I am aiming for a body like this one - http://oi44.tinypic.com/2vd63w6.jpg

The guy in the picture is a beast. Here is a video of him doing weighted bar dips with 90 kg (180+ lbs)of extra weight.

The guy in the picture is a beast. Here is a video of him doing weighted bar dips with 90 kg (180+ lbs)of extra weight.

Womder what his mobility is like?

Alexander Svensson

My thought too. That isn't full ROM.

What do you mean? It's dangerous to go past 90 degrees you know  ;)

FREDERIC DUPONT

Yeah, right... that still remains an impressive display of strength!  :)

Belittling others doesn't make us stronger!

• Upvote 3

Rikke Olsen

True. I'm not saying I could do it, just that I would find it more impressive with full ROM ;)

Kate Abernethy

Interesting point - I thought good form was going all the way down so shoulders come down to the hands and the forearm become nearly parallel to the floor and elbows point backwards? This guy's forearms remain vertical.

It is better to go full range of motion in order to strengthen the tendons. But bodybuilding is a completely different sport (if a sport at all...). Their goal is complete muscle isolation and going more than 90 degrees involves the other muscles like shoulders more... but the bodybuilder's goals are primary triceps building. Plus if they go full range of motion they will have to use less weight.
Just my thoughts.

• Upvote 1

Lars Nävert

I do not know, he has got really good shoulder mobility though, a good handstand and really good shoulder press. You probably recognise him if you seen the Swedish version och Gladiators, he's the one playing Toro.

I think they are pretty legit, below parallel every single one.

Interesting point - I thought good form was going all the way down so shoulders come down to the hands and the forearm become nearly parallel to the floor and elbows point backwards? This guy's forearms remain vertical.

You can definitely go deeper than the guy does in the video but it is not a muscle up and you should NOT aim to get your forearms horizontal and your elbows pointing backwards. The dip should begin with your shoulder moving forward and your forearms should remain vertical the whole time to not put too much pressure on your elbows. Think of it like a squat, you do not want your knees to travel to far in front of your foot so you send your hips back. In a dip you send your shoulders forward.

Jon Douglas

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm: I've been doing it wrong all this time!!

Not really, if you're going to horizontal forearms it sounds closer to Russian dips, so you are breaking down the barrier on the harder variation than regular dips. Definitely not time wasted :)

Kate Abernethy

Not really, if you're going to horizontal forearms it sounds closer to Russian dips, so you are breaking down the barrier on the harder variation than regular dips. Definitely not time wasted :)

Wheeeeeeee! That put the smile back on my face. Thank you  :)

Mind you, the 'easier' variation seems harder  :huh:

Joshua Naterman

Hahaha :) That's my kind of joke!

On a slightly serious note, it depends on whether you are properly prepared or not. It used to be dangerous for me to try dips at all, about a year ago, and now I have full dips and Russian dips again. I credit F1 for that.

Keep plugging away at your current F1 progressions, it is time well-spent!

Keilani Gutierrez

really? you find going down with your forearms to the bars to be easier than just keeping your forearms vertical?  :blink:  you're a superman! 

Jon Douglas

If it's easier than normal dips then you are either doing very much the right thing or we are visualising somewhat different things ^_^ but if you're used to lowering down past bent-arm support towards upper-arm support and it's easy for you, then be justly proud :)

I do not know, he has got really good shoulder mobility though, a good handstand and really good shoulder press. You probably recognise him if you seen the Swedish version och Gladiators, he's the one playing Toro.

Ahh, it's Toro!

Kate Abernethy

If it's easier than normal dips then you are either doing very much the right thing or we are visualising somewhat different things ^_^ but if you're used to lowering down past bent-arm support towards upper-arm support and it's easy for you, then be justly proud :)

really? you find going down with your forearms to the bars to be easier than just keeping your forearms vertical?  :blink:  you're a superman! 

Ermm, I must be doing it totally wrong and maybe have invented a new way of dipping! I'll post a video of my 'version' tonight.

Keilani Gutierrez

Ermm, I must be doing it totally wrong and maybe have invented a new way of dipping! I'll post a video of my 'version' tonight.

what you seem to be describing is a russian dip. if you find those easier than regular dips, you got some super human stuff goin on under that hood of yours :P (Man of Steel Status)

Jon Douglas

Actually you've reminded me that I need to video my Russian dips too. Sometimes I feel I am still 'hopping' a bit.

Russian dips, btw, involve going through a dip and then further down so that your upper arms are resting on the bars. You pause for long enough to kill your momentum, then roll up to the bottom of a dip, then go all the way up. It's not unlikely you're doing at least part of that movement (think you'd notice if you were going down to upper arm support ^_^) and have gotten used to it. If you have then you are overpreparing a little as this is somewhat greater ROM than a normal PB dip. If you've gone off on some imaginative new tangent for dipping (which honestly I'm sort of curious about at this stage) then it's a quick fix. Go ahead and put a video up when you get time :)

Kate Abernethy

what you seem to be describing is a russian dip. if you find those easier than regular dips, you got some super human stuff goin on under that hood of yours :P (Man of Steel Status)

Whoaa (but thanks for the kudos :) ), it's not a russian dip because I don't lean back - I just go all the way down so my shoulders come to my hands.

Actually you've reminded me that I need to video my Russian dips too. Sometimes I feel I am still 'hopping' a bit.

Russian dips, btw, involve going through a dip and then further down so that your upper arms are resting on the bars. You pause for long enough to kill your momentum, then roll up to the bottom of a dip, then go all the way up. It's not unlikely you're doing at least part of that movement (think you'd notice if you were going down to upper arm support ^_^) and have gotten used to it. If you have then you are overpreparing a little as this is somewhat greater ROM than a normal PB dip. If you've gone off on some imaginative new tangent for dipping (which honestly I'm sort of curious about at this stage) then it's a quick fix. Go ahead and put a video up when you get time :)

Will do - though I'll have to do it on the rings as the gym's dipping station has lost an arm....(it wasn't me!)

9074577853_78eec523b2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Aaro Helander

Will do - though I'll have to do it on the rings as the gym's dipping station has lost an arm....(it wasn't me!

No, it's a clear hint to do weighted one-arm dips ;) The next natural step in the chain is obviously a weighted one-arm iron cross.

• Upvote 2

Kate Abernethy

Firstly, apologies to iyanov_96 for hijacking this thread somewhat.

Ring dips: http://player.vimeo.com/video/68647348

The camera does not lie - my forearm is nowhere near parallel to floor - a saving grace may be that the movement is different from on a dipping station (I kid myself methinks). Anyhow, I'm not Superman  :facepalm: but more like Supergoofy  :)

FREDERIC DUPONT

These are actually pretty good dips :)

Maybe the hands will need to be turned out progressively?