Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Update on weight loss competition, new diet

Philip M

I had posted about my experiences with the Paleo diet a few weeks back and how it would help me win the weight loss competition at my work. I originally eliminated all carb foods from my diet, but I then changed my approach based on Josh Naterman's recent posts by incorporating grains and potatoes into my nutrition. My focus shifted to just avoiding soda drinks and sweets. After 4-5 weeks, I am down to 142 pounds from my original 153, which is essentially my goal weight achieved far sooner then I imagined.

The big realisation of this experience is that the removal of sugar products makes a far greater difference than any other type of nutritional gimmick. If you stay away from coke, ice cream, and donuts, you have essentially won the battle (particularly if you exercise). No need to overanalyse and rush into extreme solutions like a strict paleo diet.

(And thanks again to Josh!)

• Upvote 3

Daniel Burnham

You think that's good. Try making 3/4 of all meals vegetables.

• Upvote 1

Joshua Naterman

This is where the real magic happens. I'm going to make a video soon where I talk a little bit about how this looks, and show the actual plate that I eat at each meal.

• Upvote 5

Haha, I'll first worry about my pathetic progress in IM exercises before I tackle that one ,)

Daniel Burnham

Not sure why diet would depend on your mobility but ok. Seriously though, meals should have a huge amount of plant matter. Eating in these portions does so many things for you including giving innumerable nutrients, limiting insulin response, providing fiber for digestion and gut health, and limiting overeating by filling you up.

A large amount of vegetables has also been linked to decreased cancer rates.  

Plus they are very simple to prepare just steam, put butter or oil on them and eat.

• Upvote 3

Also interested to see a sample plate from Joshua.

Btw: Joshua. Do you do private consultations at the moment?

Daniel Burnham

Here is a plate from a recent competition josh and I had to get the most food in a bowl. He won by weight but I think I ended up getting more veggies :)post-2228-0-60349300-1371273325_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

Daniel Burnham

Btw the above is how I recommend eating after a nearly four hour workout session.

• Upvote 1

Here is a plate from a recent competition josh and I had to get the most food in a bowl. He won by weight but I think I ended up getting more veggies :)attachicon.gifimage.jpg

genghis grill is great

Deins Drengers

Vegies alone won't build you a Yuri van Gelder, would they ?

Jon Douglas

Vegies alone won't build you a Yuri van Gelder, would they ?

I think there's a kit for that...

Seriously though, it takes years of consistent small increments to build serious size, no matter how you do it. Pro bodybuilders don't just inject and get that big in three months. Going into GST, having read this site, you know what's in store-- you can do a size focus but when you are ready for the serious straight body/ straight arm exercises on rings you have the tools to manipulate your muscle mass a whole lot more by tweaking your diet.

Or as I've heard it put elsewhere, form follows function, so make your function performing at van Gelders level and you have a shot at looking like him, or even better like a stronger version of yourself :-)

• Upvote 1

Joshua Naterman

Here is a plate from a recent competition josh and I had to get the most food in a bowl. He won by weight but I think I ended up getting more veggies :)attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I'm hungry all over again :)

Keilani Gutierrez

that is a lot of food. like a lot, a lot. 

Joshua Naterman

that is a lot of food. like a lot, a lot. 

I am a lot of man. Like a lot, a lot.

:lol:

• Upvote 6

Joshua Naterman

Good work! Now keep going!

Oh, I will. Gymnastic practice tonight is going to rock!

Alright, despite my initial resistance, I have started incorporating the 3/4 vegetables rule into my diet. There are two main ways I do this: wok recipes and soup recipes. I can use a wide array of veggies in those kind of meals and make huge portions (though I doubt I will reach the levels of meals that Josh and Daniel will go through haha).

BTW, still losing some weight, even though I thought I had plateaued.

Daniel Burnham

Here is a pic of my post workout meal tonight.post-2228-0-47366800-1371613608_thumb.jp

Here is another from a few weeks back

post-2228-0-37043000-1371613685_thumb.jp

Generally I eat a few less veggies post workout in comparison because I eat more rice. But this gives a good idea of a plateful.

• Upvote 2

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.