Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Introducing the King of the Forum Challenge

Scott Malin

What is considered "being a professional"? Earning a living from hand balancing? Being a high level gymnast? I assume I cannot take part to this one, but can "hand balancers" take part to other challenges? What about ex-high level gymnasts?

Joshua Slocum

What is considered "being a professional"? Earning a living from hand balancing? Being a high level gymnast? I assume I cannot take part to this one, but can "hand balancers" take part to other challenges? What about ex-high level gymnasts?

I would assume "professional" means that it's your job. So if you make a living hand-balancing, you'd be disqualified.

Scott Malin

The idea is if you either do this for a living or are training to do so, you're disqualified. There's not solid rule on where that line is, but it's entirely an honor situation. 

Other challenges where there isn't an unfair advantage are of course open :) I've got a few in mind already, though Coach has some insane rule about not killing anyone or making it impossible to use one's muscles for the next week. :/

• Upvote 2

Thanks for these answers, guys.

For the rule of not making it impossible to use one's muscles for a week, I think it's a very good thing. It's fun to partake challenges, but if it's going to screw too much with one's training, then it's better to just keep training.

• Upvote 1

Coach has some insane rule about not killing anyone or making it impossible to use one's muscles for the next week. :/

:) haha! This is what happens to me when I enter things like this. My brain has more willpower than my muscles and joints. Ask Coach or Alex87 about the Handstand-Wall-Walk competition in Finland!

• Upvote 1

Dillon Kolacz

This was actually a lot harder than I thought it would be lol. I found it most difficult to balance... check out my hand! Even with cheerleaders I wasn't able to pass a minute! Let's hope that the next challenge is L-sit for time  :icon_twisted: .

Linda Boltwood

I felt a bit fresher today, so had another shot at this. I managed slightly over two mins on both arms and then had one final go, just about hitting the 3 minute mark.I just need to work on a more graceful exit ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKbM2t0XrTA 

The second video is proof that I was right up against my 6" marker...ouch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeFbI7Rikyg 

Kate Abernethy

@PTID1898: Nice one! Your stabilizers rock (or rather are rock solid)  :)

Here's my second (of many) attempt at getting off the starting line - it's like finding the eye of the tornado where all is quiet and still. Even the cat turns away in disgust. I feel like I'm getting a little closer though - be very afraid!  :D

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/68210725[/vimeo]

Russell Sims

2nd attempt as well. Everything improved except for the landing technique.  Also as you sticklers might notice my feet are out of frame. Oh well, maybe there is some mercy on the forum.. :)

Anthony Thompson

1st ever post on the forum. Thought I'd give this chalange a shot, just for the craic. I make this about 1min 13sec

Nigel Leeming

Nice elbow landing on a hard wooden floor technique rsims, and top show from PTID1898. I've been in training trying to regain my kingliness, 20s right arm, 20s left arm , 20s right, 20s left without coming down. The transitions from one arm to the other are pretty gruesome, but I'm getting it now.

What is mostly taxing my mind is why I can do this quite well (it appears?). I don't do much handstand training. I mostly rock climb, so I'm pulling, not pushing. When I do handstands it is part of overall conditioning. I do handstand circles, which I'm hopeless at, maybe one revolution in each direction. I also do one arm handstands with one arm on the floor and the other on a chair but no foot support, which I can hold for 20s on a good day. I do handstand wall runs, or shoulder touches or whatever they're called to a count of 50, and I do straddle press handstands, 10 in total. Finally, I do handstand walking over a small obstacle, which is about 2 inches high. If I'm lucky, I might get over, turn round and back over, but it's pretty rare. This last exercise has a big shoulder push which feels most like the strain from the competition.

Any insights anyone?

And for all you hand balancers out there: How long can you manage it for? I was expecting lots of 5 minute posts, and some bright light spark who would do 30 minutes just for a warm up.

Nigel I don't know what you think HS training is, because that sounds like it to me.

• Upvote 2

Nigel Leeming

Nigel I don't know what you think HS training is, because that sounds like it to me.

Yeah, you've got a point there. Now I read it back it sounds like lots of handstand training :) It doesn't feel like it though.

Scott Malin

No more submissions? Looks like time to start tallying. You all have until Monday for any final submissions. 

Jon Douglas

No more submissions? Looks like time to start tallying. You all have until Monday for any final submissions. 

I thought this was closed! I'll film a re-submission today then.

Not that I'm going to break into the top ranks, but surely I can break a minute!

Scott Malin

I thought this was closed! I'll film a re-submission today then.

Not that I'm going to break into the top ranks, but surely I can break a minute!

I look forward to it. We kept it open longer because of the widespread interest. :)

After the final tallies are complete, I have a rather large announcement I've been waiting to make. It will be the single largest thing to come to the GB community that's not a product. I hope everyone has an extra pair of underwear handy for this event.

• Upvote 2

Nigel Leeming

Yowza! I keep retrying but only get up to 1m30 before the strain becomes too much. 2 more days to try though - I need to ignore the pain some more, so that may be incentive enough. Samira has a 42s video to post, which I'll do if she doesn't manage more, but she's determined to get a minute.

Nigel Leeming

And here's my own effort, which is 2 minutes 58 seconds by my count. Sorry about the timer which disintegrates at 2:48.

Linda Boltwood

Fantastic effort Nigel. Congratulations to Samira too!

Can't believe I might have to give this another shot...

Here is my attempt, not record breaking but I wanted to get involved officially after a few attempts not on video.

I think it's around 25 seconds.

Great challenge guys! :)

Scott Malin

8 hours and 10 minutes left! Can anyone beat Nigel or are you all busy signing up for Coach's version of TRT?

Yaad Mohammad

8 hours and 10 minutes left! Can anyone beat Nigel or are you all busy signing up for Coach's version of TRT?

I don't think anyone but Desi can beat this :(