Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Muscle Up Transition

Jeff Walker

Joshua Slocum

Hahaha, with maltese strength I bet you're having all KINDS of fun with the H1 mobility :) Good to hear you are making progress!

I miraculously had the shoulder flexion mobility already. But the dis/inlocates are very slow going. Once I've got that I should hopefully be in the clear. My PPT is quite good. 

• Upvote 1

Francis Shiu

Please forgive my ignorance, but isn't a pullup to BL (which looks similar to what jwalker was trying to do) a B rated skill...

Joshua Naterman

My PPT is quite good. 

I keep telling myself not to make the obvious jokes, but it's not working! :lol:

I would imagine that the rotational aspect is pretty tough. Keep plugging away and it will come. My plugging away is very slow going indeed... those extra cervical ribs get in the way of the nerves... still, progress is slow but in a forward direction.

Please forgive my ignorance, but isn't a pullup to BL (which looks similar to what jwalker was trying to do) a B rated skill...

Yes, I believe it is. I wouldn't even try it unless I had perfect foot supported pelicans with ease.

Btw, jwalker, make sure you're doing the strength work in F1 with perfect form. Honestly, there's no way that some of those elements are too easy for you. I'm not trying to be mean, but doing things with perfect form makes them several times harder. I'm sure just about everyone on this forum could benefit from some of the elements in F1.

FREDERIC DUPONT
(...) I am simply NOT FLEIXBLE - PERIOD.  Ive never touched my toes with straight legs, I can barely touch my back, etc (...)

It is what it is, make your peace with it, curse your ancestors and the coaches you've had up until now if you need to, and get working to become more flexible.

It is not rocket science, there is no glory & not much fun in it, the rewards are scarce and rare at first; it just has to be done, every day a little bit, consistently and within reason.

The other option you have is to wait to be forced to do it in 20 years when you are all broken up & your body aches in the morning in places you didn't know existed just 12 months ago, and progress is twice as slow. :)

So what is it going to be JWalker?

• Upvote 3

Kate Abernethy

It is what it is, make your peace with it, curse your ancestors and the coaches you've had up until now if you need to, and get working to become more flexible.

It is not rocket science, there is no glory & not much fun in it, the rewards are scarce and rare at first; it just has to be done, every day a little bit, consistently and within reason.

The other option you have is to wait to be forced to do it in 20 years when you are all broken up & your body aches in the morning in places you didn't know existed just 12 months ago, and progress is twice as slow. :)

So what is it going to be JWalker?

...the red pill or the blue pill?

:icon_cool:

• Upvote 1

I am at peace with my lack of flexibility and i'm not worried about aches and pains in the future becuase i dont beleive the two are necersareily connected or related. The lack of flexibility has never been an issue in my sports, i was one of the fastest kids and good at most sports. I dont blame any coaches and i dont really think any of them could have improved it much. Ive been doing H1 and F1 for a few months now and progress on mobility elements is practically zero. As and adult 36 yrs old i dont have any aches or pains on a daily basis. All that said i am working on F1 and H1 becuase if flexibility is importan to advancing within the GSR spectrum then its important to me.

Alessandro Mainente

Foundation series are made with a particular structure that impose the mobility to the people, because usually people don't do any type of mobility.

Every person has his/her own story, your response to mobility is only your response. In some cases it's necessary more mobility compared to the prescribed in the Foundation series.

From my POV the idea of IM between exercise is , at least, to equalize the muscles tension generated during the exercises that actually is not too much as you work under muscles failure. In this way the probability to increase the mobility is bigger for the average of the athletes. what about someone who has tight tight muscles? only that stretch is not sufficient due to years of immobility. the current IM is good, again at least, to maintian your current level of mobility and not increase the gap between strength and flexibility.

You have to adjust your training in order to use more stretching poses.

Different techniques can be used:

-from passive stretch poses held for more then 1.5-2 minutes and this lets to permanent muscles elongation for the following 3-4 minutes

-to PNF that lets to permanent muscles elongation for the following 5-7 minutes.

Also consider that i stayed on a IM element for handstand for 5 months. so do not be afraid for the low speed of progress.

if Coach should make a custom Foundation for all the people probably he would not have time to live.

• Upvote 1

Joshua Naterman

It is good to remember that the VAST majority of our movement restrictions are caused by connective tissues (fascia in this case) or a lack of neuromuscular education in certain movements, and often both.

It takes quite a bit of time to program yourself to perform a complex new movement, meaning a new mobility exercise in this case, and it also takes a good bit of time to cause small changes in connective tissues. 

For those of us who are older, or naturally tighter, this can take much longer than it does for people who are naturally more flexible, but we all make progress at our own personal rate. It may not seem fair, but it is what it is. We are better off performing the day's work and not worrying about the future than we are if we worry about the future instead of doing the day's work.

• Upvote 3

FREDERIC DUPONT

Foundation series are made with a particular structure that impose the mobility to the people (...)

There we are, we have a winner for the slogan contest:

GB: Imposing the mobility on the people!  :D:wacko:

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...

So here is an update on my Muscleups.  First I want to especially thank Cody with Post #115 and Josh with post #111.   I encourage everyone working towards this goal to Re-Read their helpful insights.

Also, to Anyone who feels like these movements are impossible (and obviously the muscleup isnt very difficult compared to what some people can do on this board) hard work and consistency will eventually pay off. I cant tell you how many times i almost gave it up and told myself that Maybe i just dont have the strength needed, maybe I will never get it. so hopefully my struggle and continued struggle to get better will inspire you to not give up or get down on yourself.

I did 3 sets today I got 3reps, 3reps, and 2 reps.  I also did one by accident when practicing fwd rolls, I was able to come out of the roll and use the MU to get back to support.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBQRUB-HOAo

• Upvote 2