Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Muscle Up Transition

Jeff Walker

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

So just deep FG Pullups and Deep Ring Dips.

Also, practice retracting your scapulae while hanging in a pull up position (with FG). That will help you learning how to start pulling back your elbows as needed for the transition. 

• Upvote 1

Jeff Walker

So today I decided to get back on the MUP horse.  I didnt feel any pain in my shoulder which is good.   I practiced the "Frits transition" move with feet on a ball. Also I did Pullups and dips.  Below is the video.  I tried 2 different size balls.  The larger was easier and @ the end of the video (got cut off) but i couldn't do it with the small ball.  Any feedback am I doing it right?

"Frtis Transition" 3x5r

FG Pullups 3x5r

Deep Dips 3x5r

Video_1.MOV

Video.MOV

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

I practiced the "Frits transition" move with feet on a ball. Also I did Pullups and dips.  Below is the video.  I tried 2 different size balls.  The larger was easier and @ the end of the video (got cut off) but i couldn't do it with the small ball.  Any feedback am I doing it right?

What you are doing looks more like a row starting with bend arms and the rings low enough so you can stand up in a dip position. That will not do much to learn to do the MU transition, I think (I never tried it, but it looks too easy; not enough neuromuscular stimulation, if you will). So, I suggest that you, to simplify your GST life, first work your way through the RC F1 series, and trie now and then whether you can do a transition with support from your toes starting with your hands close to your chest and with just enough support to stand on your toes at the start of the transition. Also, tape (the bottom part of) your rings and use (climbers) chalk; that will reduce the wear and tear on your hands and make it easier to hold your false grip.  Just be patient and have fun. It is not a race. You will definitely get it.

Can you post a picture (or video) of you at the top of a pullup with a focus on just how high you are able to get yourself over the bar and where your elbows are.

Jeff Walker

I can do that.

Frits, What do I need to change, stand more vertical with rings a little higher?  

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

I can do that.

Frits, What do I need to change, stand more vertical with rings a little higher?  

Yes, like this.....

.... trie ..... whether you can do a transition with support from your toes (at the top of a pull up position) starting with your hands close to your chest and with just enough support to stand on your toes at the start of the transition. Also, tape (the bottom part of) your rings and use (climbers) chalk; that will reduce the wear and tear on your hands and make it easier to hold your false grip.  Just be patient and have fun. It is not a race. You will definitely get it.

Look at the video. Good luck.

Gavin Strelitz

I'll add my 2 cents and say that you should work slow negatives as well. Lower the rings and jump into support then do the slowest possible negative you can and keep control at all points.

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

Like what Frots? I dont see anything fyi

I should have said "Like I explained in my last posting" and "Look at the video of my second posting to see how I start the transition with my toes on a ball". 

I did Pullups with false grip and deep Ringdips.

When i maanaged 10 ringdips i started russion dips at the parallels and this was the

exercise which helped me to manage the transition

• 4 weeks later...
Jeff Walker

I came across this video.  This is exactly my sticking point and I cannot figuere out how to do this simple move.  This guy makes it look ridiculously easy but I just cannot figuere it out or I guess I am not strong enough.  Fast fwd to 8:50s

I got muscle-ups just by doing them with a light assistance from my feet. The key is using less and less assistance until you have the strength to do it without your feet. Also, slow it down as much as possible to work the transition.

You can even just work the transition with a foot support without doing the whole muscle-up. Other exercises you could do would be those elbow push-ups or russian dips, but I never did those.

Joshua Naterman

We have told you the same thing many times: Work your false grip pull ups, work your russian dips, take your time, and wait for the results.

There is no short cut. You seem to be trying to find one, and it's not working because the shortest route is the straightest one: Work in the gym for it, consistently, using the exercises we have taught you. Eventually, you will get on top, but it might take you 6 months.

My experience with other guys my size is that we all took 3-6 months to get a good, slpw, solid transition.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
Jeff Walker

So I've been doing some drills. And i think i really found the exact problem in my transition but I'm still mot sure how to address it.

So i do 2 drills, One where i rest my feet on a Stool in front of me and another where i rest my feet (toes) on the stool behind me.

The drill with my feet behind me is much easier because my weight is more forward. The problem when i attempt a full muscleup isy weight is behind me and i cant get it through the rings to transition to te dip.

Ypu can see in the vids above that i am behind the rings when i get to the top of the pullup.

how do i shift it fwd thru the rings. Amy ideas?

Jeff Walker

I believe I've pinpointed the exact problem with my transition.   I do 2 different drills for working on the transition. 

1)  I do an assisted MU with my feet on a stool in front of me.  I pull up and though the transition with slight assistance from my legs.  

2) I also do a very similar drill, except i place the stool behind me and hang my toes on the stool and pull up and through the transition.

The interesting thing here is that the drill where my feet are in front of me is MUCH MUCH harder than the one where my feet are under/behind me.  The drill with my feet behind me is MUCH easier.  I think the reason for that and ultimately my issue with the transition is trying to get my weight forward through the rings.  If you look at my videos above, as I pull up and try to transition, my body/weight is behind the rings and I cannot or at least haven't figured out how to get my weight forward.  I've watched a million vids on the MU and it appears that most people as they transition, lean fwd helping the elbows go from down to up.  

That simply means you are lacking the strength to do a full ROM pull-up. Don't overcomplicate it.

Do this: False grip ring pull-ups with a chin-up/neutral grip. This grip will be easier than trying to stay in a pull-up grip throughout. Aim to bring the rings to your nipples, all whilst keeping the rings as close to the sides of your body as possible. Also keep your body straight, vertical and rigid on all of the reps.

Based on your videos, it doesn't seem that you're prioritising quality over quantity.

Joshua Slocum

Echoing every one else here: there is no magic bullet. Keep training hard and smart and you'll learn smooth muscle-ups. Prioritize your Foundation work and you'll eventually wonder why you ever thought a muscle-up was difficult. 

Joshua Slocum

I moved this here because My videos are attached above.  I want to see if there is something I should be doing differently

Yes, you should be training more and fretting less.

It's a muscle-up, not a technique-up. The movement is simple. You do a high pullup, you lean forward, you do a dip.  If you're having trouble with it, it's because you're not strong enough. Give yourself time to work through a couple RC and HBP progressions in Foundation and then see how the MU feels. 

• Upvote 4

Jeff Walker

No that I've done it, How often should I train the MU to keep progressing and make it cleaner?

Joshua Slocum

Your foundation work will be more than enough to build up strength in the relevant areas. What you're going to want for the muscle ups is some light work at reasonable frequency. I would recommend doing 1-2 sets of muscle ups 2-3 times a week. That should be enough for you to gradually clean up the form.  

Joshua Naterman

I would just do one or two muscle ups at the end of each training session. I would do them as single repetitions so that you never have to worry about form.

Until they are very, very clean I do not recommend you put any additional volume into them at all. You will be surprised at how quickly, and safely, this approach will help you clean them up.