Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

is there such a thing as straight leg strength?

tani

As in standind weighted leg lifts or reverse hyperextensions.And if so would they increase knee strength and carry over to other leg work?

FREDERIC DUPONT

Not too sure what you are asking here; could you be more specific? :)

If I do all kinds of leg lifts with locked knees,weighted or unweighted. And maybe reverse hyperextension would that make my knee joint stronger?

FREDERIC DUPONT

Hummm, maybe a little bit, but it surely is not a very efficient method.

What precisely are you trying to achieve here? :) Are you trying to rehab an injured or weak knee?

Are you unable to do exercises other than leg lifts or hyperextensions (broken ankle or foot)?

Are you for some reasons unable to apply weight on the knees, or bend the joint?

Joshua Slocum

I've seen people do a 'leg cross' where they hold a middle split supported only by their ankles/feet. 

I don't know enough to say whether this would have a beneficial effect on bent-leg strength the way that straight-arm strength seems to build lots of bent-arm strength. 

Jon Douglas

I've seen people do a 'leg cross' where they hold a middle split supported only by their ankles/feet. 

I don't know enough to say whether this would have a beneficial effect on bent-leg strength the way that straight-arm strength seems to build lots of bent-arm strength. 

I have suspended splits and I haven't observed anything too dramatic. It's more of a party trick than anything else... unofficially I'd say it does strengthen/stabilise the hip but I'm not sure it's worth training for it specifically if leg strength is the goal.

i do a lot of low stance training too though, so its a bit hard to isolate any effect this may have for me.

SLS.jpg

I recommend standing a lot. In fact, how about standing with a bar on your back. Load it up and just stand as long as you can. You can also use a backpack or people. They will work well if they struggle since you'll have to stabilize them. Maybe even stand on a BOSU ball.

You can even try taking steps too. Little steps, big steps. But really you just need to stand.

If you do a RDL with straight legs, it's just a straight leg DL.

And no, there isn't. Because we are our legs to bend to move like jumping and running and squatting, etc.

There is something to be said about developing tendon strength regarding your legs. 

This can be done by using your legs in various way and perhaps by odd movements like standing to middle splits on rings or with socks on a slidey floor.

Obviously there are static holds such as low horse stance or holding a SLS/pistol at various angles and the same can be done with any kind of squat or lunge or various stances (archer/bow, cat). And moving through stances at a very slow tempo.

• Upvote 1

Philip Chubb

Yes and it's something you should work to not have any sort of weaknesses and to expand the positions that you are strong in. Working straight leg strength this way has lead to me being able to demonstrate the height of my flexibility without always a warm up.

• Upvote 2

Jon Douglas

Yes and it's something you should work to not have any sort of weaknesses and to expand the positions that you are strong in. Working straight leg strength this way has lead to me being able to demonstrate the height of my flexibility without always a warm up.

Yes, definitely. My comments were strictly about strength development, not the flexibility benefits

Coach Sommer

- As far as GST is concerned straight leg strength would primarily focus on dynamic or tumbling movements.  One of the 2008 Olympic Team members was measured rebounding off the floor with 14 times bodyweight.  

- And to address your next question; No, in all probablity you are not yet strong enough to engage in this type of training.  

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 6

Joshua Naterman

The knee is not designed the way the elbow is, since there is no bony structure to limit knee extension, so you can't think about them in exactly the same way.

Like Alex Chubb said, straight leg deadlifts are great, but you have to take your time with increasing the motion. It should never be a strain, and over time your ROM will increase without you really needing to actively try to increase it. You'll just notice that you can definitely go an extra inch or two down without feeling any different,. and then you'll stick with that for a while, and so on.

You will never be able to load straight leg hip flexion, adduction, or abduction enough to make a significant impact on the knee musculature, so it will not carry over to knee strength, but ballet dancers do all kinds of leg lifts to build active hip ROM.

In terms of GST, can't say it any better than Coach just did.

• Upvote 1

Alexander Svensson

I have suspended splits and I haven't observed anything too dramatic. It's more of a party trick than anything else... unofficially I'd say it does strengthen/stabilise the hip but I'm not sure it's worth training for it specifically if leg strength is the goal.

i do a lot of low stance training too though, so its a bit hard to isolate any effect this may have for me.

What kind of approach do you use for your static stance training? I could really use more work on mine but not sure how to go about it.

Using the templates from the foundation series perhaps?

Jon Douglas

What kind of approach do you use for your static stance training? I could really use more work on mine but not sure how to go about it.

Using the templates from the foundation series perhaps?

I guess this would be fine to begin with, but generally I do much more time than this, and I'm not sure how well that progression would work as the time gets higher. A minute's not going to cut it for relaxing properly into ma.

Alexander Svensson

Yes of course, I was thinking that for say a 10 minute template you would just multiply the hold times for the 1 minute template and go from there.

As I said, I'm not really sure how to increase my time the best without it interfering to much with the legwork in F1.

Jon Douglas

Yes of course, I was thinking that for say a 10 minute template you would just multiply the hold times for the 1 minute template and go from there.

I'm not sure, I haven't done this sort of template for that and I don't know how it goes as the time goes up. Multiplying wk1 x10 for example means you're doing a couple minutes off the bat, and would rise by a couple more minutes at a time. That could easily run away with someone. I'm not sure a set progression for longer holds is the best approach.

As I said I've not tried it though, so who knows? Could turn out to be the perfect formula. If you're up for it, why not give it a trial run? :)

Alexander Svensson

I'm not sure, I haven't done this sort of template for that and I don't know how it goes as the time goes up. Multiplying wk1 x10 for example means you're doing a couple minutes off the bat, and would rise by a couple more minutes at a time. That could easily run away with someone. I'm not sure a set progression for longer holds is the best approach.

As I said I've not tried it though, so who knows? Could turn out to be the perfect formula. If you're up for it, why not give it a trial run? :)

Yes I'm sure it won't hurt to try. I'll start with the 1 minute template just to ease into it and see how it goes :)

• Upvote 1

So are there any benefits in doing RDL or SDL with completely straight legs (locked knees) since people usually do them with slightly bent legs?

I mean would locking the knees in a SLDL and RDL give any extra benefits then having slightly bent legs? I hear people keeping a slight bent in the knees when doing both of those types of deadlifts to protect the knee and tendons. I was wondering if you can safely progress with locked knees to strengthen the knee and tendons just like strengthening the elbow and biceps tendons in straight arm exercises?

SLDL is almost the same as RDL, just that it is initiated by the back while the latter is initiated by the glutes and has more of a hip thrust movement for those who don't know.

As in standind weighted leg lifts or reverse hyperextensions.And if so would they increase knee strength and carry over to other leg work?

Yeah, if your name is Atlas and you need to hold the World  :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=atlas+holding+the+world&rlz=1C1OPRA_enUS530US530&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=VpKiUbLUO9SurgGPzIGoDw&biw=1366&bih=624&sei=WZKiUejRDoW64AOvtIGIAQ

Atlas is rarely depicted holding up the world with straight legs. Most of the time he is in some form of kneeling or squatting as it's crushing him.

This is what happens when you don't practice squatting.