Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A couple of general questions on planches mainly

gymrob

Hey

I have always wondered. After readings Coach Sommers dragon door article, he mentions that the planche and front lever holds performed are a great workout all within minutes. Does this mean that he is referring to peforming these holds as a workout or on top of other exercises you may do. How long should it take to perform a workout? It normally takes me like 3 hours to perform a full body workout (around 3-5 minutes rest in between sets). I know supersets are often more time efficient but I have the time to have 3-5 minutes rest in between sets.

Also, in what kinda ratio would you say gymnastics train upper body and core and legs? Say for a gymnast traning for a floor routine.

Finally, I was wondering how flexible do you have to be to perform a standing pike or staddle press to handstand? and then straddle L?

I have always wondered. After readings Coach Sommers dragon door article, he mentions that the planche and front lever holds performed are a great workout all within minutes. Does this mean that he is referring to peforming these holds as a workout or on top of other exercises you may do. How long should it take to perform a workout? It normally takes me like 3 hours to perform a full body workout (around 3-5 minutes rest in between sets). I know supersets are often more time efficient but I have the time to have 3-5 minutes rest in between sets.

Well, your routine is obviously not that great (well, optimized lets say) if it takes you 3 hours to do a routine even with 3-5 minute rest breaks. Speaking of the routine I earlier helped you construct that should generally take no mor than about an hour or so. If it is taking longer than that, you can probably eliminate some work and decrease some rest times here and there to better optimize it anyway.

Generally, the longest a workout should take is about 60 minutes.. maybe up to 90 if you were doing pure strength work (and this is with a massive amount of sets). Most people don't have the time to do things even an hour so 30-45 minutes can be more common sometimes in which it is better to do A1/A2 workouts with antagonist muscles.

Also, in what kinda ratio would you say gymnastics train upper body and core and legs? Say for a gymnast traning for a floor routine.

I'll let someone else answer that. I have some thoughts, but not coherently formed right now so I'll pass.

Finally, I was wondering how flexible do you have to be to perform a standing pike or staddle press to handstand? and then straddle L?

At least flexible enough to hold the position (see some of the front page pics). Pressing handstands generally get much better (and easier) as your flexibility improves.