Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Assisted beginner training

Justin Rawley

Justin Rawley

I’ve noticed that most gyms have a ring training apparatus in which the gymnast is counterbalanced against his/her own bodyweight by a mechanical advantage of one. I have used this device to train positions that I’m otherwise not yet able to do unassisted, enabling me to do the iron cross for reps and static holds of 20 or so seconds. When I don’t have access to this apparatus, I use rubber tubing to provide the counter resistance so that I can do the same thing. At home, I usually include the rubber-band assisted cross in my routine along with the standard beginner exercises on the Xtreme rings. What is the general consensus on the forum about this kind of training?

big.jpeg?2009012521515138864903

It is ok.

But there is a limitation to this. The big problem came where you are at 90-95% of strength for element. Usualy you don't have enough bands from big hardness to very pooor hardness, to progress on a cross without a band.

About pully system: I like more a pully system with weights for counterbalance instead of your own body weight-counterbalance. Simply beacuse you can add or reduce resistance. Other way is to put weights on you and every week or so you can add half kilogram or more (in the pully system with your own body weigth-counterbalance).

I hope, I helped.

And don't forget to try every once a time to do an iron cross without of any assistance, where you learn your neurocoordination. It's always a litlle diffrent to do things with machine, system, band, spotter or whatever...

Justin Rawley

Thanks to all who replied. Gregor, using a counterweight that is less than bodyweight is a great suggestion! I saw a video once where someone had rigged up a similar contraption in a tree in his back yard using dumbbells as the counterweights. Now that I think about it, I might be able to do this in the gym by attaching an Olympic plate or something other than myself to the other end of the ropes. I’ve done the weighted version using the plates on a strap around the ankles, but this feels a bit awkward to me. To get the effect of doing it without assistance, I will often drop into a position with the rings as wide to the side of my body as I can, then gradually lower myself until I fall through.

There is an old CrossFit journal where they put a lot of people, some significantly weaker or out of shape for training certain moves into harnesses and pulley systems so they could like levers or crosses.

It still is functional training, my only gambit with it is how efficient it is to get in and out of a harness in a group setting if there is only one or two rigs.

Does my weakest little guy gain as much benefit as me spotting the straight back lever or learning how to just how it tucked while I could spot someone else or watch the group?

I can go use my Ringtraining.com Cross trainer at the highest setting and practice cross holds and pullouts, but considering I still need to work on my support strength and lever strength besides MU, which would be a better use of training time? Where does it descened into playing and goofing around vs an efficient use of time. Perhaps playing around occasionally like this, keeps me encouraged and enthusiastic about training, "stirring the pot" to phrase it.

This is the conundrum I have with fitness enthusiast training and training as a coach. I still have some thoughts of doing an adult meet but I want to do it by the books.

Akrajen, great photo!

Adding a leg harness to the spotting belt will help to prevent it from riding up off of the waist and make training in the belt MUCH more comfortable. The leg harnesses pictured below (and available here) are the very ones which I use with my own athletes. They are very easy to use; simply clipping onto the side of the spotting belt and then velcroing around the thigh.

Leg%20Harness.jpg

All of the assistance tools mentioned above are very good; which to use is simply a matter of personal preference, as well as which is most effective for training a particular skill. As a side note, the assistance provided by bands can be easily customized; especially if you use a combination of small pallet bands and the larger jump stretch bands.

I agree with Gregor that once you are at 90-95% strength for an element, the balance imparted by the assistance devices does not "feel" quite right. However, these tools are certainly an excellent option for bridging the gap until you reach that level of strength. 8)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer