Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Danielle

So I would say my endurance is okay, my record is 1:35. But by next this upcoming february I would like to be able to hold a HS for at least 3:30. I am currently working on doing intervals, so like 45 secs on and 1 min off and as it gets easy take 10 sec off the resting time, and many more exercises (wall hold, holding hs, etc.) I was wondering if anyone has any other great endurance exercises for me? Any tips what so ever? Any diet changes specific to endurance training (my dad says diet is important with endurance)? And is this goal even possible for me?

Thank you.

Redwan Haque

All I can think of is long Handstand Wall Runs if you don't do them already. I remember Coach highly recommending them for Press Handstand development too. Work them in your pre-warmup 2-3 times a week and work up to the point where you can do them for 10 mins a set. Then keep doing it a couple of times a week to maintain it. 

Judging by your profile pic and interests you're probably way ahead of most of the forum on Handstands. Maybe shoot Yuri or Handbalancer a PM if they don't make an appearance on this thread.

• Upvote 2

Alessandro Mainente

in the past in order to increase my wall hs i've maintained the same hold duration for 1 month, then i added 20 seconds to my maximal hold and it works well. probably is possible to apply it also to free hs. but usually as you find the perfect body alignment is easier to progress.

you can also try to perform 10 minutes wall hs in less time as you can (10 minutes of hs + the rest period)  2-3 times a week.

if you have a good endurance maybe is not a problem hold sets of 2 minutes followed by 30 seconds of rest and repeat...and you are very near to 10 minutes in a row.

• Upvote 1

yuri marmerstein

do you have any video of you balancing?

Are you talking endurance on two hands?  It's easier if you shift weight back and forth from hand to hand to give the other arm a break.  The best hand balancer I have known once did an hour that way.  Depending on your level, you can leave both hands flat, go to fingertips on one arm, or fully shift weight to one arm handstand on each arm. 

In general for endurance you have to learn to relax more.  Balance as little as possible.  I try to stay more on the heels of the palms so my fingers don't get tired.

Also depending on your level you can slowly increase the average length of your sets when you do skill work.  This will have a lot of carryover to your endurance though I would save true endurance work(to failure) for the end of the session.

Also you can do freestanding HS next to the wall as long as you can, then when you feel tired go to the wall without putting your feet down. 

• Upvote 2

do you have any video of you balancing?

Are you talking endurance on two hands?  It's easier if you shift weight back and forth from hand to hand to give the other arm a break.  The best hand balancer I have known once did an hour that way.  Depending on your level, you can leave both hands flat, go to fingertips on one arm, or fully shift weight to one arm handstand on each arm. 

In general for endurance you have to learn to relax more.  Balance as little as possible.  I try to stay more on the heels of the palms so my fingers don't get tired.

Also depending on your level you can slowly increase the average length of your sets when you do skill work.  This will have a lot of carryover to your endurance though I would save true endurance work(to failure) for the end of the session.

Also you can do freestanding HS next to the wall as long as you can, then when you feel tired go to the wall without putting your feet down. 

Thank you, I have a video of myself handbalancing but it is really old. its on my youtube channel http://youtube.com/dmaarie 

But yes, endurance on two hands is what I am working on. Endurance on single arms as well, but I mostly work two hands because it seems pretty fundamental for professional hand balancers. 

Thanks for the advice!

Stefan Hinote

Thank you, I have a video of myself handbalancing but it is really old. its on my youtube channel http://youtube.com/dmaarie 

But yes, endurance on two hands is what I am working on. Endurance on single arms as well, but I mostly work two hands because it seems pretty fundamental for professional hand balancers. 

Thanks for the advice!

Link fixed: http://www.youtube.com/user/dmaarie

Parth Rajguru

Wall walks, wall runs, and chest to wall handstand holds are good tools with a lot of variables that can be manipulated for programming. I would suggest an approach that uses more than just chest to wall handstand holds.

• 4 weeks later...

You really started about a year and a half ago? I'm impressed that you can hold a one arm handstand already. Did you learn it directly on the canes, or do you do mostly work on the ground?

You really started about a year and a half ago? I'm impressed that you can hold a one arm handstand already. Did you learn it directly on the canes, or do you do mostly work on the ground?

Yes I did! Thank you very much, I work on both the ground and canes, but its easier on canes! haha