Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Foundation series : Lack of stall bars

Ales Glas

Ales Glas

Hello everyone!

I am seriously considering purchasing the foundation series, but have absolutely no access to stall bars. Obviously they are heavily used in the program. Is there a way to train without them? Or at least some acceptable substitutes? 

I appreciate the help. 

Eric Heiden

Initially you can be creative and find substitutes, but over time it will become necessary to invest in either gaining access to a set or buying/building them for your apt/home in order to continue progressing in the Foundation series.

I will say, however, that I have been performing F1 for over 3 months now and only use them for 1 exercise that I could find a substitute for.  Once I progress past these early exercises though, that will not be the case.

• Upvote 1

Ales Glas

Initially you can be creative and find substitutes, but over time it will become necessary to invest in either gaining access to a set or buying/building them for your apt/home in order to continue progressing in the Foundation series.

I will say, however, that I have been performing F1 for over 3 months now and only use them for 1 exercise that I could find a substitute for.  Once I progress past these early exercises though, that will not be the case.

What a pitty :( I was thinking of something silly like fixing a ladder on a strong supporting beam, but I guess that would not work:) Thanks for the reply

Eric Heiden

What a pitty :( I was thinking of something silly like fixing a ladder on a strong supporting beam, but I guess that would not work:) Thanks for the reply

Depending on what kind of ladder and how well you fix it to the beam that would probably work at least up through F1.  You do get at 30 day money back return period if you decide you can't make it work with what you have...

Keilani Gutierrez

I've been held back a little on a progression due to this exact inconvenience. once i sourced all the materials(which the stall bars ended up costing $125 in raw materials vs. whatever they charge for stall bars + shipping #cringes)

so far, i've been doing mobility on a Ficus I have growing outside. no lie. the stem is probably 1.5 inches give or take and I do my sets holding onto that. before that, I experimented holding onto the knob of my door. it worked temporarily until i moved to the Ficus. 

I know someone who mentioned that they hold onto a sink but please make sure there isn't anything inside so you don't rip it off the wall xD 

Jon Douglas

I know someone who mentioned that they hold onto a sink but please make sure there isn't anything inside so you don't rip it off the wall xD 

Shut up, this is working for me.

Playground ladder is best, but Canada's had a cold winter and it was tough until recently to train outside first thing as I prefer to.

• Upvote 1

Travis Widmann

I think one can get through about half of F1 without stall bars. The mobility Keilani is talking about I use a Smith machine bar for, since I go to a gym with that sort of thing. Depending on your capabilities it could be many months before you really need to figure out a stall bar situation or adequate substitute. I had to start pretty much at the beginning, so at the moment I'm not worried about it. Down the line I'll have to figure something out, but I've got time.

Keilani Gutierrez

Shut up, this is working for me.

Playground ladder is best, but Canada's had a cold winter and it was tough until recently to train outside first thing as I prefer to.

I ain't hating! I'm just sharing a piece of experience that has happened to ME and wish that no one else has to go through the joys of cleaning dirty dish water with food residue but also the food shredder residue....seriously. it was lame.  :facepalm:

Jon Douglas

I ain't hating! I'm just sharing a piece of experience that has happened to ME and wish that no one else has to go through the joys of cleaning dirty dish water with food residue but also the food shredder residue....seriously. it was lame.  :facepalm:

Not all of us can have Ficii K >.< haven't lived in the same country more than 6 months for 5 years now, too short a time to grow custom bars ^_^

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

Not all of us can have Ficii K >.< haven't lived in the same country more than 6 months for 5 years now, too short a time to grow custom bars ^_^

nomad life~ seriously, sometimes I wonder where my life would take me if i make a bag and work remotely for 4 months. 

Jon Douglas

nomad life~ seriously, sometimes I wonder where my life would take me if i make a bag and work remotely for 4 months. 

We're getting way off topic~ ^_^

Keilani Gutierrez

We're getting way off topic~ ^_^

#regainsfocus anything with a horizontal or vertical orientation which is about 1in or 1.5in will do

Ales Glas

I guess I will not be purchasing for the time being, as I wish to do the program 100% as laid out. Will try to figure something out tough, thanks for the help.

Connor Davies

Like trw said, if you start at the beginning it will be some months before you need to worry about it.  You can figure out a way around most obstacles in your way given enough time and motivation.  I don't see how holding off on buying the program until you have 100% of the equipment is going to help, if you aren't going to use it all as soon as you start anyway....

George Launchbury

One of those lightweight/removable doorway pull-up bars set at waist height in a door way?

• Upvote 2

Eric Heiden

One of those lightweight/removable doorway pull-up bars set at waist height in a door way?

This really doesn't work as a substitute for stall bars - it will serve for a substitute for a handful of the mobility elements, but not for other elements.

Karri Kytömaa

This really doesn't work as a substitute for stall bars - it will serve for a substitute for a handful of the mobility elements, but not for other elements.

Why not really? I mean the point is to have two of those bars. I'm not gonna do the math now but if their max hold is somewhere around 150kg, I think you should easily be able to perform side levers there.

Of course it's not as convenient as stall bar but it costs only about third or maybe even less.

This will be my solution when it's needed.

• Upvote 1

Eric Heiden

Why not really? I mean the point is to have two of those bars. I'm not gonna do the math now but if their max hold is somewhere around 150kg, I think you should easily be able to perform side levers there.

Of course it's not as convenient as stall bar but it costs only about third or maybe even less.

This will be my solution when it's needed.

Do you have the course?  How do you plan on using this setup to perform MN/PE5>iM?  Or MN/PE4-MN/PE6?  This isn't the place to discuss specific exercises, but once you see these elements you should understand that your setup doesn't work and you'll be short-changing yourself if you don't invest in a set of stall bars.

George Launchbury

Agreed. That's pretty much what I meant. Obviously beyond a certain point you're better off with the proper kit.

Karri Kytömaa

Do you have the course?  How do you plan on using this setup to perform MN/PE5>iM?  Or MN/PE4-MN/PE6?  This isn't the place to discuss specific exercises, but once you see these elements you should understand that your setup doesn't work and you'll be short-changing yourself if you don't invest in a set of stall bars.

Yes I have the course and I don't really see any problem with MN/PE4-6. That iM is problematic but I have solution for that too.

I have F2 too but I haven't looked through it if there's something I can't handle with this setup.

Of course if I had the money and room for stall bars, I'd already have them but this good enough substitute that I don't really mind.

Eric Heiden

Yes I have the course and I don't really see any problem with MN/PE4-6. That iM is problematic but I have solution for that too.

I have F2 too but I haven't looked through it if there's something I can't handle with this setup.

Of course if I had the money and room for stall bars, I'd already have them but this good enough substitute that I don't really mind.

Ok - I don't know exactly how you plan on doing the MN/PE4-6 elements, but given what you're saying you might want to check this thread out if you haven't yet.  It might change your mind depending on how you plan on doing those exercises.

Anze Merhar

You can also try locating a gym with equipped stall bars and ask if they're going to do a renovation soon. You can usually get the stall bars real cheap, or even for free. I got mine for 40€ or 55-ish american dollars, then again I did search for my set for about a year in a country where stall bars are pretty much standard gym equipment...

• Upvote 1

Eric Heiden

You can also try locating a gym with equipped stall bars and ask if they're going to do a renovation soon. You can usually get the stall bars real cheap, or even for free. I got mine for 40€ or 55-ish american dollars, then again I did search for my set for about a year in a country where stall bars are pretty much standard gym equipment...

Stall bars are on the rise in popularity here in the US, but only in small circles.  The majority of gyms here hardly have any space dedicated to anything but weight machines and cardio decks, let alone something as open ended as a set of stall bars.