Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Basics are taking too long

Jordan Garcia

Jordan Garcia

Hey guys I have been training for the planche and front lever for a while now and I have seen improvement but am really anxious to get started training for my iron cross would it be bad for me to begin iron cross training without mastering the planche and front lever

Also could you give me some training tips for the pl and fl

Thx for your feedback

Jean-Rene Losier

Don't be so impatient. It will only lead to injury and poor results. The joy comes not from the goal, but from the journey my friend! As for tips to train the FL and PL: get the foundations series. I know it's "lame" but it's seriously the best tip I can give you.

Nic Branson

Basics.....you will ALWAYS be learning them, refining them, chasing the perfect execution of them.

If you are serious about becoming good then change your mindset.

The better you get the harder the basics become....if you don't understand this then you are not ready.

• Upvote 7

yuri marmerstein

If you Really want to learn something, it is worth taking the time to learn it correctly. 

You have to understand that it takes years of dedicated practice to become proficient at anything

• Upvote 1

FREDERIC DUPONT

Basics.....you will ALWAYS be learning them, refining them, chasing the perfect execution of them. (...)

Agreed.

When everything goes to hell, this is the only safe place you can regroup and fix things. :)

Maybe it is just semantics, but I very much prefer calling this place "fundamentals" than "basics"

• Upvote 2

Eric HARDOUIN

The better you get the harder the basics become....

So true.

George Vere

Well, the basics are paying off for me - the Foundation 1 focuses on the very foundation (what would be pre-FSP level stuff) and I've found everything has improved (straddle FL, BL, muscle up etc. all much more solid despite the fact I've hardly been working them).

If you're struggling to get FL and PL down, then it's probably because your foundation is lacking.

Don't rush, or you'll hurt yourself.

You need some patience and it's not like you're not making any progress. How long have you been training anyways? 

Even without the Foundation Series, there's already tons of info here and elsewhere about how to train FL and PL. All you need to do is search.

Jordan Garcia

I have bee training since January of 2012 and I've been stuck on adv tuck lever and flat tuck pl for a while but I've seen amazing progress in my muscle ups/one arm chins and hspu's

Joshua Slocum

Hey guys I have been training for the planche and front lever for a while now and I have seen improvement but am really anxious to get started training for my iron cross would it be bad for me to begin iron cross training without mastering the planche and front lever

Yes. Not only is it dangerous, but it's less efficient. If you're struggling with the beginner progressions for FL and PL, there's no way you have the strength to get a reasonable workout from iron cross training. Also you should work your BL as well; it's good conditioning for the arms. 

Connor Davies

...you should work your BL as well; it's good conditioning for the arms. 

Agreed.  When I first tried planche training, I couldn't make ANY progress.  So I've regressed to back lever training, and I'm not going to start planche training again until I have a perfect back lever.

Daniel Burnham

Agreed.  When I first tried planche training, I couldn't make ANY progress.  So I've regressed to back lever training, and I'm not going to start planche training again until I have a perfect back lever.

That isn't really the best approach.  No one needs a BL before training planche.  They just need to build up the planche properly with the right progressions.

Connor Davies

That isn't really the best approach.  No one needs a BL before training planche.  They just need to build up the planche properly with the right progressions.

I know, it's hardly optimal.  At the time I tried planche, the only progressions I knew were frogstand -> straight arm frogstand.  My elbows and shoulders were in no way capable of handling it, and I had no other ideas.

Joshua Naterman

I know, it's hardly optimal.  At the time I tried planche, the only progressions I knew were frogstand -> straight arm frogstand.  My elbows and shoulders were in no way capable of handling it, and I had no other ideas.

Are you not on the foundation program yet?

Rikke Olsen

Isn't it like saying:
 "Screw high school - I'm going straight to college! Maths? Whatever - I have calculators and TI-Interactive!kruemelmonster.gif" ?

What can you expect to achieve if you haven't got the basics mastered? Although having said that, there's quite a popular guy on YouTube who can do an Iron Cross but can't even do a Front Lever. Do whatever you want at your own risk though.

Connor Davies

Are you not on the foundation program yet?

My computer is over a decade old.  I don't have sufficient cowbell to open the foundation ebook...

Connor Davies

If you can open the forums, you can open the web based format for all the new material.

Great!  I'll be buying it sometime in the next few weeks then. :)

Cole Dano

My computer is over a decade old.  I don't have sufficient cowbell to open the foundation ebook...

There's your problem, Cow Bells are obsolete, now computers do Barrel Rolls.

EaOTTgN.jpg