Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Critique my SSC plan

Jono

Hey guys, I've decided I want to run my first proper SSC. I'd like some feedback on it, good or bad.

I have attached the SSC plan as a .rtf text file because I made everything colour-coded, which helps to see the structure of it all.

My current situation is that I want to learn some new moves and get stronger, but not necessarily train purely for Gymnastics (like F1). I'd say my main goal (and the only one I plan to actively pursue in this SCC) is the dead hang OAC/OAP, so my program may be a bit vertical pulling dominant. Nevertheless, I have still paired up the exercises (cycling through different pulling/pressing planes) as BtGB has recommended, but have included extra OAC work as well.

My second goal is to work towards a no lean wide MU on a bar. I'd also like to make some good progress in the pressing strength department; particularly, I'd like to work towards full tuck planche push-ups and full depth HSPUs on parallettes (something that I start getting stronger at, but then seem to lose all progress at if I stop working on!). I also want to improve my straight arm strength in the L-sit, Side Lever, BL, FL and PL.

My current stats (with very strict form, otherwise not counted):

Bodyweight: ~70kg

Height: 5'9

FSP

-Floor L-sit: 20s (20s is a safe "max". Realised my 41s max back in February was a bit sloppy, despite it being on the floor)

-Tuck BL: 60s (Not sure if my hips were level with shoulders. I plan to test it again this week.I can probably hold straddle for 5s, but haven't tried)

-Tuck FL: 37s (I can hold straddle for about 5s, but I wanted to go back to focus on good retraction. 37s is as long as I can hold before I feel my retraction starting to go)

-Frog Stand: 40s (I can hold advanced tuck briefly, but I want to build up to a 60s straight arm frog stand)

-Side Lever: 5s (Small straddle, and can only do it on 1 side)

OAC progress:

-

-Chin-up 60kgx1 (full dead hang)

-Assisted OAC (pinky assist)
-OAC (starting from 90 degrees) - what is interesting to note here is that I can do a 65kg dead hang chin-up but get stuck at forehead height not quite able to finish the rep; however, the top part of the OAC is where I have the most strength. It just goes to show how much different a double-arm chin and a single-arm chin is.

-I can initiate OAC & OAP from the dead hang, but can only move up a few inches.

-I can do static holds in all parts of the ROM, even the lower half.

-Slow Bar MUs (no hip pike) 3x5 (I want to work towards the wide MUs, but also be cautious at the same time)

-HeSPU (shoulder width / against wall) 1 rep (on a good day  :P )

I'd like to believe that with the 3x3 template that I plan to use, I'll be able to handle the high frequency, especially for the OAC work. I feel as though if I limit myself to only 1 vertical pulling session per week, I may even lose progress at this feat. Instead I want to do low volume frequently, but with emphasis on high quality.

• Upvote 1

I can't give you feedback as I don't have experience with SSC (I mainly GTG), but I wanted to clarify on two things.

1. The Foundation Series isn't training purely for gymnastics only and might be able to get you a OAC/OAP as well as it builds up to a FL and rope climbing. So you might want to look into it.

2. The reason you couldn't get past your forehead in the weighted dead hang chin-up is because you had to pull past the bottom and middle ROM which took away most of your strength. The top part of a chin-up is the easiest because the muscles are in an advantageous position. I would bet that if you started at 90 degrees for the weighted chin-up like you did for the OAC then you would be able to pull to the top as well. This isn't to say that there aren't any differences between a double arm chin and a single arm chin.

I hope someone else with more experience on SSCs would chime in and by the way it looks like you are not too far off from a OAC based on your max weighted chin-up.

A tip I got for you for the OAC is to start dead hang with your body facing the bar lengthwise with a hammer grip and then twist toward the bar as you go up and end up with a supinated grip. I find that using this technique to be easier than starting with a supinated grip at the bottom and when you get good with that you can try working it the other technique.

Mike Taylor

I think that you would probably benefit from adding a rest day in there somewhere

I could definitely do with a rest day. Oops.

I can't give you feedback as I don't have experience with SSC (I mainly GTG), but I wanted to clarify on two things.

1. The Foundation Series isn't training purely for gymnastics only and might be able to get you a OAC/OAP as well as it builds up to a FL and rope climbing. So you might want to look into it.

2. The reason you couldn't get past your forehead in the weighted dead hang chin-up is because you had to pull past the bottom and middle ROM which took away most of your strength. The top part of a chin-up is the easiest because the muscles are in an advantageous position. I would bet that if you started at 90 degrees for the weighted chin-up like you did for the OAC then you would be able to pull to the top as well. This isn't to say that there aren't any differences between a double arm chin and a single arm chin.

I hope someone else with more experience on SSCs would chime in and by the way it looks like you are not too far off from a OAC based on your max weighted chin-up.

A tip I got for you for the OAC is to start dead hang with your body facing the bar lengthwise with a hammer grip and then twist toward the bar as you go up and end up with a supinated grip. I find that using this technique to be easier than starting with a supinated grip at the bottom and when you get good with that you can try working it the other technique.

Interesting points. You are probably right. Plus that 65kg attempt was a few mins after the 50kgx3 which was to failure / a grind at the top position on the 3rd rep.

I just figured out that hammer grip tip by accident today. Feels much better to start in that neutral grip. With this grip, I was definitely able to complete the rep starting from an approximate 120-degree arm angle (but I didn't bother to complete it because I'm resting for Monday for when I'll start the SCC). I can also initiate the pull from a dead hang much better this way. It just feels like I can't shift the load off of my shoulder and onto my elbow flexors to carry on pulling up, although today I felt much stronger than a couple of weeks ago. Also from what I've noticed, the first few inches of the pull from dead hang comes mainly from the back muscles (like a FL pull, so I can see the FL carrying over at the bottom ROM the most), but at some point you need to start the elbow flexion. Doing slow assisted OACs through that sticking point will probably be most beneficial so I'll keep that in mind. Exciting times!

Regarding the FL and rope climbing carry-over... Pretty sure I can already hold a good FL for 3s, but retraction isn't that good. That's why I decided to go back to tuck. As for rope climbs, I guess I could go to my uni's gymnasium (open on tues/thurs night) just to do some rope climbs, but it costs quite a bit for the session (especially including travel). Ideally I want to stick to home workouts. I went there back in September when I was much weaker at pulling, and I was able to do rope climbs pretty well. I'm sure they can be made harder though.