Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Program. Any Suggestions?

Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

So here what I got so far and I need some feedback. I usually do an upper/lower split. Below is my Upper Day. My Lower day will be legs and cardio. I will alternate between doing Squats/Deads and swimming/running.

I will either do this as Upper/Lower/Off/Repeat OR Upper/Lower/Repeat and just take rest days as they come. THOUGHTS?

My Goals are FSPs:  HS for 30s, Straddle PL, Full BL/FL

My Goals for FBEs are:  Free HSPU, Strict/Slow MUP, Straddle PL Pushup. Full FL Rows, Kor Dips, OAC

1) WARMUP: A brief warmup, i havnt figuered it out yet, L hang, RTO Support. STC, 360s
2) FSPs: I do the following in a circuit & rest at the end & repeat for 3 rds. Tuck PL, FL, BL, HS, Lsit
3) ROUTINE: I like to begin working on a basic routine, here what I have so far. Kip MUP - RTO Supp - Lsit - Sh Stand - Try to press into HS - Lsit - Roll or felge to Inv hang - BL/FL.
4) TRANSITIONS: Here i just want to sped a few minutes working on specific transitions MUP and Felges/rolls.  I recently achieved a Kip Ring MUP and I dont want to lose it so I will spend a few minutes doing: Ring Kip MUP, Ass MUP Dip Machine, Ass MUP Rings with Bands, Fwd/Back Felge with Bands.
5) FBEs: I do an exercise &its Related Isometric hold & superset that w/ antagonistic move. 3 SETS
    a.) Press/Curl: Wall HSPU then HS hold (Supersetted with) Rope Climb & RTO Supp Hold
    b.) Push/Row: Tuck PL Pushup on PL & SA Frog (Supersetted with) AT FL Rows & Straddle FL Hold
    c.) Dip/Pull: Single Bar Dips & Lsit (Supersetted with) Pullups (clavicle)  & AT BL Hold
 After that I do 2 sets of the following done as a Giant set
   a.) Wall Straddle Negatives
   b.) 40* Lean PPP Pushups Rings or Maybe Wall PPP
   c.) Wide Lsit Pullups with FG
   d.) OA Straddle Row
   e.) Russian Dips
   f) Lsit wtd chins

Joshua Naterman

Suggestion: Get Foundation 1. Master that. Get Foundation 2 when it is released. Master that. Repeat for F3 and 4.

There's something I would like everyone to understand: Anything that we suggest needs to be the best approach for you. The Foundation series is that best approach. It is specifically designed to get you to (and beyond) your  specific goals. Your handstand goals will be far surpassed by H1.

When a program is posted that isn't Foundation, how can we answer anything other than switching to the Foundation work with a clean conscience? I certainly can't do such a thing.

I can guarantee you that you will be surprised at how well this works.

This may not be what you wanted to hear, but it's the flat-out truth.

• Upvote 3

Joshua Slocum

Overall, your routine is fine. You need to make sure you're getting rest days at regular intervals, so I'd go with up/low/rest or up/low/up/low/rest.

However, as Josh said, you will find that the Foundation series is a more effective way to achieve your goals. 

Jeff Walker

My hesitation with Foundation One is this...

1) Losing Current progress.  I just got my first muscleup, I dont want to lose it now as well as my other achievements  FL/BL, etc.  I am of the mindset that these things need to be practiced to be maintained and improved upon.  As I said before, the F1 course didnt appear to be very challenging, I am not being arrogant, but if I can climb a rope now, why would i stop?  In the F1 program it didn't even have me climbing a rope at all.  It was just preparatory elements which none of them included 

2) When are the other Foundation Series going to be released and how much do they cost?  W/O knowing my total costs its hard to make a commitment and decision w/o all the facts.  What if I am ready for F2 now?

Joshua Naterman

Totally valid concerns!

Here's what I know, and what I think:

What I know:

• F2-4 are being prepared for release now.  Nobody knows an exact release date, but you can bet that F2 will be released fairly soon.
  • Each one of the four Foundation programs is 75 dollars, the same price as F1.
  • Each one will keep you busy for a long time.
  • You will not lose progress, but to be sure you can always do one or two sets of muscle ups, front lever holds, etc. for maintenance. As long as you don't try to do these as a workout, you will be fine. You should never be pushing limits. Just do one muscle up, because that's all you've got right now anyways, and just do one FL hold, one rope climb, one BL, etc. Your goal is to MAINTAIN, not improve. The improvement will be a side benefit of training the basics in a correct progression, and it WILL happen, but you need to not try to push for it That will be a challenge at first, so make sure you make a checklist to stick to! You can do this on every day that you are working FL progressions, which is clearly laid out in the templates.

What I think:

• There are probably several exercises, if not all of them, that have progressions you will not be able to show mastery on. Mastery is pretty rough, but pays off quite nicely.

Daniel Burnham

I used to think I could climb a rope. Then I saw what the final progressions are...

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

My hesitation with Foundation One is this...

1) Losing Current progress.  I just got my first muscleup, I dont want to lose it now as well as my other achievements  FL/BL, etc.  I am of the mindset that these things need to be practiced to be maintained and improved upon.  As I said before, the F1 course didnt appear to be very challenging, I am not being arrogant, but if I can climb a rope now, why would i stop?  In the F1 program it didn't even have me climbing a rope at all.  It was just preparatory elements which none of them included 

2) When are the other Foundation Series going to be released and how much do they cost?  W/O knowing my total costs its hard to make a commitment and decision w/o all the facts.  What if I am ready for F2 now?

I posted this on another thread just today:

It's important to keep in mind that there is often a very wide gap between which exercises you are physically capable of performing, and which exercises you will get the most benefit out of training. Or, put another way, there's a big difference between being able to do an exercise, and being so good at an exercise that training it is no longer worth your time. 

Yes, Foundation 1's exercises are quite basic. That does not mean you're so strong and so mobile that your most effective course of action is to skip those elements in favor of more difficult ones. 

Joshua Slocum

I used to think I could climb a rope. Then I saw what the final progressions are...

Does it go past cirques?  :o

Jeff Walker

I dont know, I hear ya guys and I appreciate the help but I dunno if I can do F1.

Look, I cant even touch my toes, never have been able to.  My flexibility is terrible and I know that's an issue but I dont want to turn my time in the gym into a Flexibility/Mobility routine. Its Strength training.  the F1 seems less strength based and more mobility based.  

Im not a gymnast Im a 35yr old who wants be as strong as I can.  Progressive overload is the only thing that has ever gotten results for me, so I dont understand how doing an exercise far below my current levels would be beneficial or time well spent. 

On the other hand I am sick of trying to figure this out on my own. The program above, when do I change it, do I do the same thing every time, can I alternate exercises. The more I learn the less i know.  Its overwhelming because there are soo many options out there, books, programs, courses and I only have so much time and resources to figuere this out. I am just trying to find the best option out there for me.   I like this board and you guys are great and patient and have never been condescending so I want to have faith in what you're telling me but its hard.

Again its also difficult becuase I only have x amount of time and I dont want to lose what ive gained so if I get F1/H1 I would still be asking questions on how to keep what I already gained.  

Daniel Burnham

I can't say about the progressions as I haven't seen te official final product. I only know what was given at the seminars

Something should be emphasized here. You have got to address mobility. Every successful coach agrees on this. If you don't address weaknesses you are on the road to failure. Either by injury or no longer being able to compensate. I encounter this literally everytime I enter a gym. Most ignore me at first. Then they come back to me after multipe failures.

Just ask josh what happens when you ignore this kind of stuff. He is a smart guy and has learned a lot from the mistakes. At 35 this is even more important.

Just as an example. If you have poor scapula mobility you will not achieve even basic skills without some deficiency.

The series may look trivial at first glance but lead to great development and move faster than you might think.

I personally have had great success with little injury. And the injuries have only been due to past trauma or overwork with lots of stress and little sleep.

Joshua Slocum

Look, I cant even touch my toes, never have been able to.  My flexibility is terrible and I know that's an issue but I dont want to turn my time in the gym into a Flexibility/Mobility routine. Its Strength training.  the F1 seems less strength based and more mobility based.  

Im not a gymnast Im a 35yr old who wants be as strong as I can.  Progressive overload is the only thing that has ever gotten results for me, so I dont understand how doing an exercise far below my current levels would be beneficial or time well spent. 

On the other hand I am sick of trying to figure this out on my own. The program above, when do I change it, do I do the same thing every time, can I alternate exercises. The more I learn the less i know.  Its overwhelming because there are soo many options out there, books, programs, courses and I only have so much time and resources to figuere this out. I am just trying to find the best option out there for me.   I like this board and you guys are great and patient and have never been condescending so I want to have faith in what you're telling me but its hard.

Again its also difficult becuase I only have x amount of time and I dont want to lose what ive gained so if I get F1/H1 I would still be asking questions on how to keep what I already gained.  

- Fundamentally, strength is restricted by mobility. F1 doesn't include mobility so that you can become a gymnast. It includes mobility so that you will be able to develop strength. You can't do a manna if you can't touch your toes; it's as simple as that. Worse yet, lack of mobility in other areas is a sure track to injury. 

- F1 makes use of progressive overloading. It's built into the scheduling. It starts easy, build up rapidly, then goes back a little. Then the cycle repeats. 

- These exercises are not 'far below' your current levels. Yes, you can probably do 1 or 2 of them without any trouble. But the standard of mastery is much higher than that. People much stronger than you have found themselves unable to complete the course. 

- It's very understandable that you want to hold on to your current accomplishments. When you work hard for something, you don't want to see it slip away. This is actually very easy to do with foundation. Once you've done all your foundation work for the day, do 1-2 light to medium sets of the exercises you want to maintain. If you have further questions, that's what this forum is for  :) . 

Why not just give foundation a shot? Start testing your mastery of the various exercises and see where you really are. Then come back and tell us where you are, and we can make recommendations from there. 

Chris Hobbs

What is a 3 month experiment in the scheme of things? Worst case you will move better and have better energy for family life than prior to addressing the mobility. Best, and most likely, case ... you will be a lot stronger too.

BTW, what I have found is that as I address mobility the new ROM that opens up needs to be strengthened. This is having a noticeable affect in everything as I am stronger and more stable in most everything as a result.

- Chris

Jeff Walker

OK if I get H1 and F1 how do I do them together?  Is this something I have to figuere out on my own?

Jeff Walker

If i do H1 and F1 together can you guys help me figure out how to also keep my current levels. I just don't want to lose what ive gained.

Chris Hobbs

I would suggest starting a thread in the F1 forum with the exact movements you are worried about losing. The general advice is to do a single set nowhere near failure after your F1 workout. But depending on how you integrate H1 with F1 that may or may not be the best plan. Keep in mind that whatever is set out for you by folks may need to be adjusted as the workload changes and also posting a video of the movements in question would probably be a good idea too.

- Chris

Jon Douglas

Lets pretend im doing F1/H1 how do i maintain what ive acheived above

If you want to benefit and progress, be brutal and honest about what you've achieved. I have no idea what level you're at, but there's not a lot of point maintaining sub-par work. If for eg) your muscle-up requires a kip, then maybe question whether it's worth maintaining until you have built up to a non-kipping one.

• Upvote 1

Chris Hobbs

If you own F1 (I thought I saw that an earlier post indicated you did) you should see it in the Graduate Studies section of the forum. If you don't see it, PM Cory and he will get it taken care of.

- Chris

FREDERIC DUPONT

Does it go past cirques?  :o

nono, just the advanced version without the hands B)

:D

• Upvote 1

Jeff Walker

Can someone tell me exactly what soes foundation cover and what cones after foundation? Will i learn the cross the planche all the holds and also the upper level FBEs. Is it ring oriented or all encompassing

Joshua Naterman

Can someone tell me exactly what soes foundation cover and what cones after foundation? Will i learn the cross the planche all the holds and also the upper level FBEs. Is it ring oriented or all encompassing

Foundation 1-4 will take you to a strong straddle planche, full front lever, full side lever (and not just statics, either), full Manna, full Hollowback press (Full lay bower, or 90 degree push up), single leg squats, and some ridiculously boss rope climb abilities.

I'll just tell you this: I watched Daniel do a pretty decent one arm chin ON THE ROPE. He's not even finished with the progressions. It is ridiculous strength that you are building, and it's "just" foundation.

There is quite a bit more ring work in the later sections, but it is very important that you work your way up to that step by step.

I am only 31 years old, but I feel very safe saying that I know EXACTLY what you are worried about. I can promise you that your fears regarding the Foundation work are unfounded.

After you get them, here's how you keep what you have developed:

1) Do your Foundation work

2) do 1-2 sets of just a few reps (not even a full set, as crazy as that may seem) of the skills you want to maintain. Muscle up, Yewki, etc. You obviously cant' do 2 sets of 10 exercises, but you can do one set of 5 exercises for sure, as long as none of the sets are to fatigue or momentary failure. I do this, and I'm getting stronger all the time. It is awesome, so much easier and more effective than what I was doing before.

Without the Foundation work, I would be in a bad place physically. As it is, I am probably a year out from being the strongest I have ever been, and this is just the beginning of the journey!