Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Body Recomposition

sensfan15

sounds good mmm,

I am in china and the vegetables in the supermarket are also not refridgerated. I think it should be fine.

Just for fun I counted the total calories and protein for my daily meal plan. I came up with 220g protein but only 2650 calories.

I'm 6'3' 215lbs. 2650 calories isnt enough for me. The reason is because most of my carbs are coming from the veggies! I even added 800ml of milk everyday! I am thinking about adding another 700-800ml of milk for more calories. It's probably the cheapest source too! Is drinking a litre and a half of milk a day too much?

Daniel Burnham

Honestly if it is good quality milk don't worry about it.  The milk here in the USA is usually not very good.  At one point I drank nearly a gallon of whole milk a day to gain weight.  It left me feeling slow but I was able to put weight on.  If I could do it over again I would go for a more frequent meal source with better foods like I am doing now.

One thing to keep in mind is that you should be figuring out roughly how much carbs and protein you need to support your activity.  After these are fulfilled good fats can be used to get the calorie levels up.  General rule is to get the protein and carbs you need and then modulate your energy needs with fats.  

FREDERIC DUPONT

sounds good mmm,

I am in china and the vegetables in the supermarket are also not refridgerated. I think it should be fine.

Just for fun I counted the total calories and protein for my daily meal plan. I came up with 220g protein but only 2650 calories.

I'm 6'3' 215lbs. 2650 calories isnt enough for me. The reason is because most of my carbs are coming from the veggies! I even added 800ml of milk everyday! I am thinking about adding another 700-800ml of milk for more calories. It's probably the cheapest source too! Is drinking a litre and a half of milk a day too much?

Make sure you thoroughly wash your veggies, farmers don't always know how to read the labels on the pesticides they are using, and, as everyone knows, "more is always better!" In some places, the tap water that you use to clean things can also be a concern.

Rice will be your cheapest source of carbs here!

Milk.......... ever since there was melamine found in milk and baby food, I only purchase UHT milk imported from Europe.

To those that complain about the quality of US milk, at the very least it is safe!

Yeah I am not too sure how the quality of milk is. I am a little bit hesitant being in China though (it is seriously 20-30 years behind the west!).  The carbs and protein are good for my activity level. After thinking about this a bit more I might just add another 1/2 c of sunflower seeds to the plan. I already have a 1/4 c of almonds, 1/4c walnuts, and 1/2c sunflower seeds. If I add another 1/2c of the seeds it will bring my calorie intake to about 3000 which is pretty much bang on my maintenance.

I don't want to lose weight at all. ideally i would love to lose 5-10lbs fat and add 5-10lbs muscle!

Daniel Burnham

Yeah I am not too sure how the quality of milk is. I am a little bit hesitant being in China though (it is seriously 20-30 years behind the west!).  The carbs and protein are good for my activity level. After thinking about this a bit more I might just add another 1/2 c of sunflower seeds to the plan. I already have a 1/4 c of almonds, 1/4c walnuts, and 1/2c sunflower seeds. If I add another 1/2c of the seeds it will bring my calorie intake to about 3000 which is pretty much bang on my maintenance.

I don't want to lose weight at all. ideally i would love to lose 5-10lbs fat and add 5-10lbs muscle!

Yea Josh recommends maintaining about a 25-20% deficit in a day to achieve this type of thing.  I don't like seeds and nuts as a main staple of fat as they often contain a good amount of omega 6.  I prefer just cooking with more butter(grassed) or oil or eating beef/fatty fish over lean meats.  This strategy works well for me.

FREDERIC DUPONT

(...) it is seriously 20-30 years behind the west! (...)

If you are talking obesity levels, I agree, otherwise, I think you are a little bit exaggerating the gap... :facepalm:

If you are talking obesity levels, I agree, otherwise, I think you are a little bit exaggerating the gap... :facepalm:

I have nothing against China I have met alot of great people here but there is certainly room for improvement. There is definitely still a peasant mentality and you see it lots. A big one is personal hygiene in the streets, on buses,etc. Smoking in buildings, public washrooms,etc. Environmental concerns. Littering. General cleanliness. Brand new buildings already falling apart, mold, etc. Water/electricity frequently being turned/shut off, etc. There are many more examples these are just the ones off the top of my head.

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying it here and I am not complaining. Any developing country has these issues. It makes me appreciate all the little things I always took for granted back home! China will continue it's rise...kids peeing and pooping with parental approval on public buses or not!!

• Upvote 1

FREDERIC DUPONT

hehehe, I never take the bus ;) & I do have plenty of things against China... a boatload actually! :P

• 3 months later...
Josh Binding

I have been following josh's post on changing my diet and so fourth, cutting out processed stuff, accept from treats once a week. Adding more veggies, though not every meal. Learning to cook properly with spices and so fourth.

Currently my average day in terms of meals looks like this :

meal 1 - whey protein, plain oatmeal, 3 eggs

meal 2 - meat, rice, veggies

meal 3 - meat, rice, veggies

meal 4 - whey protein, fruit(PWO)

meal 5 - meat, rice, veggies

meal 6 - milk + whey

I sometimes have a 7th meal depending on what is on in the evening, I train F1/H1 (4 day cycle) when I get home from work but I also have judo practice in the evening 3 nights a week and I go to an adults gymnastics class on one evening per week. So I change food consumption based on what I am doing.

For me bread in general was the hardest to cut out, I enjoy going to grocers and getting fresh veg but I still buy some frozen.

• 3 weeks later...

- Split your meals: instead of 3 big meals, try to eat more regularly throughout the day. [For example, instead of eating lunch at ~1pm, I get lunch at  11, eat half, and then eat the rest around 2pm, and work out at 5pm.]

I was wondering how people cook and eat more than 3 times a day. Can't believe I didnt just think of eating half of your meal at a time. Does it make a big difference if you're then eating for example 6x15g portions of protein spread out during the day compared to 3x30g (obviously 6x30 being most ideal)? I think I remember Joshua Naterman recommending eating in 30g pulses of protein throughout the day, and as you age you need larger protein portions per serving to get the benefit

To save asking in another thread, how is liver, heart etc as a protein source for a soon to be poor again student? Its over half the price of other cuts of meat, just not sure if eating it regularly (smuggled in with better tasting food) is as good as more traditional meats. Is vitamin A toxicity a real risk?

I was wondering how people cook and eat more than 3 times a day. Can't believe I didnt just think of eating half of your meal at a time. Does it make a big difference if you're then eating for example 6x15g portions of protein spread out during the day compared to 3x30g (obviously 6x30 being most ideal)? I think I remember Joshua Naterman recommending eating in 30g pulses of protein throughout the day, and as you age you need larger protein portions per serving to get the benefit

To save asking in another thread, how is liver, heart etc as a protein source for a soon to be poor again student? Its over half the price of other cuts of meat, just not sure if eating it regularly (smuggled in with better tasting food) is as good as more traditional meats. Is vitamin A toxicity a real risk?

Offal, especially beef (and preferably grass-fed) is absolutely excellent food! Beef liver is some of the most nutritious foods you can find; choline is good for you! (But don't overdo it - risk of getting too much copper, as fas as I remember)

Keilani Gutierrez

. Is vitamin A toxicity a real risk?

only if you drink excessive alcohol if i remember correctly

. Consider them in proportion to the rest of the meat on an animal, and try to eat accordingly. There's nothing wrong with a few ounces of liver a few times per week, but eating a pound of liver every day might be a big problem. You will need to read up on other organs to learn more about them, but in general the major organ tissue you would want to eat a lot of is skeletal muscle.

That's really interesting. Makes sense, just requiring a shift in mental perspective. Funny to think how much old wives really got right; guess it's no surprise to have them continually borne out.

FREDERIC DUPONT

(...) Funny to think how much old wives really got right; guess it's no surprise to have them continually borne out.

When you come to think about it, it becomes a lot less surprising... They have the test of time on their side; that is a huge advantage over freshly minted PHDs in search of quick worldwide fame :)

Only the arrogance of the new generations, ................. time for my soup! :P

• Upvote 1

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.