Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BL trouble-shooting: palm pain

Henry C.

Greetings all. I've perused GB on and off for a couple years and started rudimentary gymnastic training in that time. This is my first post. 

I'm hoping to get some trouble-shooting advice regarding BL progressions. Specifically, sometimes when I do BL work the meaty part of my palms - the part connected to my thumb - hurts. It's not a good hurt, either. What might be causing this, and what can I do about it?

Some background information on me...

- I work on bars, not rings.

- I can do a 60s German hang without pain. I am working on a flat tuck BL. 

- I'm not sure how to describe my palm position. I use what I think a regular fitness person would call a standard pullup grip. I do not have a false grip. If necessary I can provide a picture or video.

Thanks guys. 

As Coach Sommer says:

Yours in fitness,

- Henry C.

I get the same thing sometimes and would like to hear what people think on this. I believe it happens more frequently when I don't take the proper time to warm up into the BL I am doing for sets. I'm not quite certain how you would even go about warming up your hands for  BL besides doing lower progressions of BL's first (which I typically don't do. I just stick to off the rings lower back warm-ups so no direct Hand pressure) 

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

I'm just posting again to refresh the thread. Nobody but Paulo has answered yet and he had a similar question, but hopefully they will now.

How thick is the bar?

Try it with a supinated grip. Ya know, "chin" grip.

Hey thanks for the reply! I really appreciate it. I'll give this a try next chance I get and let you know how it goes. 

Also, I've tried this on a few different types of bars, but I'd describe it as a 'standard' one that you would find at a playground or a squat rack at a gym (where I normally do these). Sometimes the bars have padding and sometimes they don't, which changes the thickness by a centimeter or two. The palm-pain happens regardless. Hopefully the supinated grip will do the trick. 

• 1 month later...

Blairbob I appreciated your feedback and wanted to give an update.

I've been trying the 'chin'/supinated grip and it's been taking my biceps/tendons/joints time to get used to it. They never used to get worked that hard. With that being said, this new discomfort seems healthy and surmountable, and I haven't had anymore palm pain.

Thanks a bunch. I'll keep working at BL progressions.

• 7 months later...

Random update:

It has been ~ half a year, and I've been training more-or-less consistently in that time, although with moderate to low frequency.

Blairbob, I don't know if you'll even read this, but thank you again. Not only has using a supinated grip made my 'palm pain' go away, but my biceps/tendons/joints have adjusted to the discomfort a supinated grip gave.

Cheers,

Henry