Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Little tip for those that "walk" in a HS and can't keep still

Stefan Hinote

Stefan Hinote

Prior to H1, I've been working on wall HS slowly getting my wrists closer to the wall, and increasing volume to 5x60s. My shoulders aren't perfectly open, but enough to not be a complete impedance. I would practice different variations kicking up into a freestand HS, but I would always either kick up with too much force and start walking with the hands, or kick too softly, and simply fall down. I tried focusing more on bringing my kicking leg up first and inline, and than gradually bringing my other leg up, and while this helped, it did not fix my issue of continually having to walk instead of simply staying put.

Yesterday I tried a few freestanding HS, and when I placed my hands on the floor I had them slightly arched so the palms were off the floor like cupping (what one normally does to balance from falling forward), and this gave me enough "resistance" that when I kicked up I didn't have to start walking, and all of a sudden I did three consecutive freestand HS for my longest time ever (10-15s).

So if you're in the same boat I was in never being able to stay still because getting the kick up was so hit n miss than try arching the hands a bit instead of starting off with flat palms on the ground.

I will also note that I started H1 a few weeks ago, and it's definitely helping! B)

Yes, one of the tricks of HS on floor is trying to "grab" the floor versus having a flat palm. It also helps to microadjust readjustments in balancing it. 

Watch somebody's HS sometime and you'll see this. Of course, I'm talking about an extended static HS, probably 10 seconds or more at least; especially if it's on a non traditional gymnastics surface like a rock.

Biren Patel

...Yesterday I tried a few freestanding HS, and when I placed my hands on the floor I had them slightly arched so the palms were off the floor like cupping...

Interesting. I was taught to "grab" the floor, as you say is helping you. But, my difference is I don't leave the palm cupped. Push the first knuckles into the ground so that the entire palm is in contact with the floor. What you end up with is curled fingers and flat palms but the second knuckles are raised off of the ground. This is where you those first knuckle pushups come in handy, depending on how much you curl the fingers in to grab. This should allow you to balance with the palm better and keep the weight of your body close to the base of the palm, and the fingers come in only if you mess up.

But whatever works, as Yuri mentioned in that post linked by Piotro.

You're on the right track, anyhow. I believe it is Handbalancer who doesn't recommend flat palms because you'll get into trouble when you move onto one arm handstands.

Stefan Hinote

Interesting. I was taught to "grab" the floor, as you say is helping you. But, my difference is I don't leave the palm cupped. Push the first knuckles into the ground so that the entire palm is in contact with the floor. What you end up with is curled fingers and flat palms but the second knuckles are raised off of the ground. This is where you those first knuckle pushups come in handy, depending on how much you curl the fingers in to grab. This should allow you to balance with the palm better and keep the weight of your body close to the base of the palm, and the fingers come in only if you mess up.

But whatever works, as Yuri mentioned in that post linked by Piotro.

You're on the right track, anyhow. I believe it is Handbalancer who doesn't recommend flat palms because you'll get into trouble when you move onto one arm handstands.

I've been playing with that too (spread fingers, grabbing as opposed to fingers together cupped), and that is working even better. Pretty cool to go from no consistent HS to 10s+. :D

Biren Patel

...Pretty cool to go from no consistent HS to 10s+. :D

I think most people would say that it is an unforgetable feeling! That was what I considered the first real accomplishment to me. But, then you crave more and more. At first I was over the moon with 5 seconds. Then I desired 10, then 15, then 20, then...it's never good enough...

Stefan Hinote

I think most people would say that it is an unforgetable feeling! That was what I considered the first real accomplishment to me. But, then you crave more and more. At first I was over the moon with 5 seconds. Then I desired 10, then 15, then 20, then...it's never good enough...

Yes it was/is an awesome feeling! Once you have something to work off of than it's not so bad, but being stuck in a "rut" is hard on perseverance.

yuri marmerstein

A big part of it is that people don't work the kick up enough before trying to balance out of it, so they don't have the precision to catch it in the middle.  Without trying to balance, you should be able to kick easy enough to get "stuck" in HS

Another issue when trying to balance is that people separate the balance and the kick.  They kick, reach the top, then try to balance when in fact the balancing action should begin the moment the feet leave the ground. 

Separating the kick and balance leads to big corrections being made at the top, this results either in a fall, or a lot of energy being wasted to fight the handstand. 

• Upvote 4

Jon Douglas

A big part of it is that people don't work the kick up enough before trying to balance out of it, so they don't have the precision to catch it in the middle.  Without trying to balance, you should be able to kick easy enough to get "stuck" in HS

Another issue when trying to balance is that people separate the balance and the kick.  They kick, reach the top, then try to balance when in fact the balancing action should begin the moment the feet leave the ground. 

Separating the kick and balance leads to big corrections being made at the top, this results either in a fall, or a lot of energy being wasted to fight the handstand. 

That's interesting. Thanks for that.

Wilson Jordon

I have the same problem. :D

Is it any new therapy for wrist.......from where you got this crazzy idea?

• Upvote 1