Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BL problem

BodyTrain

Hey a few day ago I tried to do my first "real workout".

I startet with advanced planche, then half lay front lever and then I wanted to do the Full BL. But I couldn´t do it. This has surprised me, because 9-10 days ago I did my second full BL hold for 10 sec. . So I tried it the next day and could´t do it again. 

Yesterday I tried it with the OAC negative, but it was the same as BL (best was ~20 sec.)

Now I considered a bit of it and decided to take an rest till monday.

What was the reason for that? And what if it is the same after the rest?

Maybe someone had the same problem when they began to workout properly.

Just want some opinions

Edit: I was for like 4 month in the gym and there I hadn´t problems like that.

It happens. You have good days and bad days. You just need to rest; this kind of training is very taxing. I would suggest working on easier variations when training normally and only do your max hold once a week or so. 

• Upvote 2

Timothy Aiken

I have found that of all the moves I do, the back lever is the most unpredictable. When I first started training straddle BL holds, it was on and off. I wasn't faltering on form ever, but sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. It all just comes down to what frolosophy said. The unique strains the BL puts on your body may take time to get used to. Just be patient. Also, I second the training max holds once a week note.

Thanks for the answers.

But I have one question, why shouldn´t I do max holds more then once a week? What would happen if someone do max holds daily?

Well, you could try (I wouldn't recommend it), but my understanding was that the reason for starting this thread was that you found yourself unable to do exactly that, so you should have a pretty good idea of what it would entail. Once a week will be enough to make gains while doing easier supplementary exercises and not lead to overtraining.

Timothy Aiken

Isometric holds are very taxing on your CNS, max holds only amplify this. By doing max holds too often you don't give your CNS time to recover, and your performance suffers.

Thanks you two. I think the reason for my failure was, that I tried during the last 1-2 weeks every day my max holds.. Don´t know why I did them..Maybe because my new rings lead me to it.

Now I realize that it was a bad idea and i think that I get a bit into overtraining. Just checked the symptoms of it and most of them fit to my actual situation. (tired during the day, waking up in the night and some other points)

Hope it gets better soon.

Wilson Jordon

Isometric holds are very taxing on your CNS, max holds only amplify this. By doing max holds too often you don't give your CNS time to recover, and your performance suffers.

Is it mandatory to go for the max hold initially ,I think we should go for only light excercise for better result.

Today I tried the BL again and couldn´t hold it again. I noticed that my hands turned so that they pointed to each other.

So I just hold my hands that they point forward and I did it. Im happy that I found the solution of my problem..